SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Football Strength & Conditioning

geaux_sioux

On the flip side, here are some quotes from Mark Asanovich, a guy with extensive experience as a strength and conditioning coach in the NFL.

• 1) "The principle of specificity states that training/practice must BE SPECIFIC to an intended skill in order for skill improvement for carryover to occur. Specific means exact or identical, not similar or just like. Therefore, accelerating a bar from the floor or knee-height-position by a forceful rolling of the hips may somewhat assimilate driving off the line of scrimmage-but the truth of the matter is, Olympic lifting will only improve one's skills at Olympic lifting and nothing else."
    Discussing the false notion of using the quick lifts to develop better tacklers.
  • 7) "The fact of the matter is that ballistic resistance training is unproven and/or unproductive at best, and potentially dangerous at worst (especially in prepubescent athletes). Ballistic resistance training, like any momentum-assisted movement, violates the most fundamental principle of strength development, that being, the Overload Principle."
    Discussing the risk vs benefits of ballistic training methods for traditional sport athletes.
  • Upvote 1

If that link is directed at me because of the question I asked about strength and conditioning in another thread, let me just re-iterate what I said in my original post, it was an honest question because I don't know the answer to it.  

I've never been a part of a college football program at any level.  But I am curious because injuries (and not just this season) seem to have haunted this program during the past decade.  Also since the move to DI, it seems to me that our athletes on the field often don't "look the part" athletically or physically compared to the opposition.  Whether that is recruiting, conditioning, or something else I don't know, but felt it was worth asking the question.  

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

If that link is directed at me because of the question I asked about strength and conditioning in another thread, let me just re-iterate what I said in my original post, it was an honest question because I don't know the answer to it.  

I've never been a part of a college football program at any level.  But I am curious because injuries (and not just this season) seem to have haunted this program during the past decade.  Also since the move to DI, it seems to me that our athletes on the field often don't "look the part" athletically or physically compared to the opposition.  Whether that is recruiting, conditioning, or something else I don't know, but felt it was worth asking the question.  

It's a legit question.  I like the strength coaches but our team has got its ass kicked the last two weeks.  Out muscled and out manned.  

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

No it's not directed at you. It seems the natural reaction to a lot of injuries is to look at the SC coach/program. I would be if our injuries were a bunch of the same stuff but they're not. I don't agree with every single thing that Baukol preaches as a SC coach but I do think he is excellent and get results.

On 9/30/2017 at 12:30 AM, geaux_sioux said:

No it's not directed at you. It seems the natural reaction to a lot of injuries is to look at the SC coach/program. I would be if our injuries were a bunch of the same stuff but they're not. I don't agree with every single thing that Baukol preaches as a SC coach but I do think he is excellent and get results.

Statistics 101 

If you have an injury or two, it's likely random chance. If you have 13+ injuries, that's perhaps enough of a sample size to reject the explanation of pure chance. There's an association somewhere with these injuries and it's possibly with strength and conditioning ...

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Statistics 101 

If you have an injury or two, it's likely random chance. If you have 13+ injuries, that's perhaps enough of a sample size to reject the explanation of pure chance. There's an association somewhere with these injuries and it's possibly with strength and conditioning ...

I'd agree if it was a slew of ACLs or something else but it's not. It's OL getting rolled up on, guys getting their arms/hands crushed by helmets, and guys turning ankles/twisting knees. Since there are a ton of injuries but they're mostly different and most of them caused by contact there's no way you could point to SC as the issue. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Statistics 101 

And if we're talking statistics, your sample size would be the total roster and injuries would be a dependent variable.

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'd agree if it was a slew of ACLs or something else but it's not. It's OL getting rolled up on, guys getting their arms/hands crushed by helmets, and guys turning ankles/twisting knees. Since there are a ton of injuries but they're mostly different and most of them caused by contact there's no way you could point to SC as the issue. 

I don't think you can rule out strength and conditioning either.  

Everything needs to be evaluated right now.  The team hasn't looked the part for the last 3-4 years and this years squad won't scare anyone getting off the bus on either side of the ball.  Even the proven players are playing on skates this year.  Getting beat up physically ties back to S&C.  

4 minutes ago, homer said:

I don't think you can rule out strength and conditioning either.  

Everything needs to be evaluated right now.  The team hasn't looked the part for the last 3-4 years and this years squad won't scare anyone getting off the bus on either side of the ball.  Even the proven players are playing on skates this year.  Getting beat up physically ties back to S&C.  

Does NDSU need to re-evaluate their SC program? They have had a ton of injuries this year. Multiple ACLs too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Does NDSU need to re-evaluate their SC program? They have had a ton of injuries this year. Multiple ACLs too.

i would have to say if there is one coach on the hotseat other than rudy would be freund...the wr's are a total mess...some nice players but no gamebreakers after four years.

Listed as co-starting Left Tackle: Dillon Radunz- ACL

Pre-season All American D-End: Greg Menard- ACL

Starting MLB (had moved ahead of Matt Plank in depth chart after EWU game) Dan Marlette- Believed to be ACL

4th String RB: Demaris Purifoy- ACL

Listed as 2nd String free safety, key special teams player: Jaxon Brown- Knee injury (will return, out 6-8 weeks, hurt season opener)

Starting Weakside LB: Nick DeLuca- Meniscus (played this week)

Starting TE: Jeff Illies- Sprained MCL (missed first two weeks)

Starting FB: Brock Robbins- foot injury (missed 2 out of 4 games)

Back-up QB: Cole Davis- separated shoulder (expected to miss 4 weeks)

Starting MLB (hard to say his role when/if he comes back with Marlette out and DeLuca back): Matt Plank- ankle (missed last two weeks)

3rd String RB, kickoff returne: Ty Brooks- missed the last two weeks, injury undisclosed 

So that’s 11 that are or have been injured. I could be missing more too. 

2 minutes ago, Tolna said:

Dillon Radunz- ACL

Greg Menard- ACL

Dan Marlette- Believed to be ACL

Demaris Purifoy- ACL

Jaxon Brown- Knee injury (will return, out 6-8 weeks, hurt season opener)

Nick DeLuca- Meniscus (played this week)

Jeff Illies- Sprained MCL (missed first two weeks)

Brock Robbins- foot injury (missed 2 out of 4 games)

Cole Davis- separated shoulder (expected to miss 4 weeks)

Matt Plank- ankle (missed last two weeks)

Ty Brooks- missed the last two weeks, injury undisclosed 

Could you edit this and add positions and place on the depth chart to put things into perspective?

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i would have to say if there is one coach on the hotseat other than rudy would be freund...the wr's are a total mess...some nice players but no gamebreakers after four years.

I don't know about that. 

1. Who is our super stud WR?  That's not on Freund.  McKinnon reportedly could run past Holm, but of course, injured.

2. WR production goes as the OC goes.

3. Why isn't Fruend the QB coach anyway.

4. Deep balls......not good.

Just now, gundy1124 said:

I don't know about that. 

1. Who is our super stud WR?  That's not on Freund.  McKinnon reportedly could run past Holm, but of course, injured.

2. WR production goes as the OC goes.

3. Why isn't Fruend the QB coach anyway.

4. Deep balls......not good.

aren't position coaches responsible for recruiting that said position...

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

aren't position coaches responsible for recruiting that said position...

Not really.  Each coach has an area.  I assume Fruend has a Wisconsin area and with his relationships in that area has to identify all position players that could perform at DI level, may or may not include a WR.  

I think the HC and recruiting coordinator, and all coaches really have input at year end on who and what the team needs.

5 minutes ago, Tolna said:

Dillon Radunz- ACL  FR Starting LT 

Greg Menard- ACL Senior All American Starting DE

Dan Marlette- Believed to be ACL JR LB Not sure if a starter or 2nd string

Demaris Purifoy- ACL SO 4th String RB

Jaxon Brown- Knee injury (will return, out 6-8 weeks, hurt season opener) SO FS second string I think

Nick DeLuca- Meniscus (played this week) SR All American Starting LB - only missed a couple of games

Jeff Illies- Sprained MCL (missed first two weeks) SR Starting TE

Brock Robbins- foot injury (missed 2 out of 4 games) So Starting FB

Cole Davis- separated shoulder (expected to miss 4 weeks) SR 2nd string QB

Matt Plank- ankle (missed last two weeks) SR LB either starter or 2nd string

Ty Brooks- missed the last two weeks, injury undisclosed SO 3rd string RB

Does this look about right?

2 minutes ago, Tolna said:

Yes sir. I think Eric Bachmeier might be hurt also. Not positive though. 

So basically NDSU has had some !@#$ luck as well but the injuries are more spread out across the roster. Also, I don't think any position on NDSU's roster is/was as fragile as UND's MLB situation. Losing 5 players at that spot has killed us. The trickle-down effect has been hurting other positions. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

So basically NDSU has had some !@#$ luck as well but the injuries are more spread out across the roster. Also, I don't think any position on NDSU's roster is/was as fragile as UND's MLB situation. Losing 5 players at that spot has killed us. The trickle-down effect has been hurting other positions. 

Have to find a way to deal with ILB mess or I am not sure we win another game.  too important a position and affects the other so much.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Just stop. Where do these comments even come from? 

• Upvote 2