SiouxSports.com Forum

ND State Board of Higher Ed

The Sicatoka

At the April 2017 meeting the ND SBHE: 

• signed off on the demolition of eight buildings on the UND campus
  • renaming its old medical school  
  • tabled a resolution to officially sign off on the creation of a UND center focused on autonomous vehicles research.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4257972-higher-ed-board-approves-name-change-old-und-med-school-terminates-ndsu-program 

Anyone know which buildings they got approval to take down? KFGO reported that 5 of the 8 were values under $250k and tearing down these (unused eyesores?) would save a million dollars annually from the operations budget. 

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Anyone know which buildings they got approval to take down? KFGO reported that 5 of the 8 were values under $250k and tearing down these (unused eyesores?) would save a million dollars annually from the operations budget. 

·         2912 University (an old white two-story house formerly used for rental units primarily by students)

·         314 Cambridge (formerly Conflict Resolution)

·         317 Cambridge (formerly Center for Community Engagement)

·         Chandler Hall

·         Era Bell Thompson Center (house on University Avenue)

·         International Center (house on University Avenue)

·         Strinden Center (On University Avenue)

·         Women’s Center (house on Hamline Street)

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2017 at 1:26 PM, Teeder11 said:

·         2912 University (an old white two-story house formerly used for rental units primarily by students)

·         Chandler Hall

And yet the Sigma Chi and Sigma Nu houses avoid the wrecking ball?  :lol: 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

But they wouldn't be owned by the U, correct?

That's correct.  Sigma Nu just got completely gutted down to the studs and renovated.  It was almost condemned a few years ago.  They used to be at the old white house, though, so it's kind of getting tore down.

23 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

That's correct.  Sigma Nu just got completely gutted down to the studs and renovated.  It was almost condemned a few years ago.  They used to be at the old white house, though, so it's kind of getting tore down.

Sigma Nu must of been in what your referring to as the old white house when I was at UND in the early 70's?

8 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Sigma Nu must of been in what your referring to as the old white house when I was at UND in the early 70's?

Yeah,  I was told they started there.  Not sure when they moved.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.9222403,-97.0701851,3a,75y,356h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEs6oYr-jvzcUMtP7-sw1TA!2e0!7i3328!8i1664!6m1!1e1

On 4/28/2017 at 1:26 PM, Teeder11 said:

·         Chandler Hall

Didn't there used to be a Valley Dairy in 314 Cambridge.  My sister used to have nicknames for all of the Valley Dairy locations... Carton Dairy, Mission Dairy..  She called this location Alley Dairy.

7 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

Didn't there used to be a Valley Dairy in 314 Cambridge.  My sister used to have nicknames for all of the Valley Dairy locations... Carton Dairy, Mission Dairy..  She called this location Alley Dairy.

I lived at the ATO house for a couple years which was right across the street from the Valley Dairy in the alley. The "official" nickname for this location was "The Sweat" due to all the letters in the Sweetheart Bread sign being burned out except SWE  T. This is also the location where "jesus" usually worked.

14 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

And yet the Sigma Chi and Sigma Nu houses avoid the wrecking ball?  :lol: 

12 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

But they wouldn't be owned by the U, correct?

That was meant as a little dig at the two fraternities.  I was joking.

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

I lived at the ATO house for a couple years which was right across the street from the Valley Dairy in the alley. The "official" nickname for this location was "The Sweat" due to all the letters in the Sweetheart Bread sign being burned out except SWE  T. This is also the location where "jesus" usually worked.

are your "jesus" and my aforementioned "crazy todd" the same person?

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no and no. he looked crazy and drank too much to work.

Yeah, I think Jesus was pretty stoned most of the time as he saw some crazy stuff in that store and never so much as raised an eyebrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Gov Burgum just replaced the student member of the board (an NDSU) student with another NDSU student. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4267245-burgum-appoints-new-student-member-board-higher-education

Where the heck is UND in getting a candidate out there to be on that board. 

• 9 months later...

If this isn't correct let us know. After a little checking this is the info I found. To much power in the hands, no checks and balances with the Higher Ed Board. Higher Ed Board is excempt  from the State Legislature and any laws they pass when it comes to ND College campus buildings. They close the door and pick  the winners and losers. And there tired of going to meetings and looking people in the eye. To solve that it has been proposed  maybe passed to meet thru teleconferenceis.  On the big votes.

#bulldoze

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Gov Burgum just replaced the student member of the board (an NDSU) student with another NDSU student. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4267245-burgum-appoints-new-student-member-board-higher-education

Where the heck is UND in getting a candidate out there to be on that board. 

Burgum is an NDSU guy.  He also loaded his committee to review the SBoHE with NDSU people.

• 1 year later...

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/education/gov-burgum-appoints-new-student-member-to-north-dakota-state/article_5f4f5a76-8b56-5911-9929-170065dbbdec.html

Gov. Doug Burgum has appointed a new student member to North Dakota's State Board of Higher Education. 

University of North Dakota student Kaleb Dschaak's one-year term begins July 1.

Strong year for UND representation on the Board.  Hopefully they can pick a solid new President who can unite the campus and continue moving forward on some of the good things Kennedy started.