SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I agree, the atmosphere is significantly better. There is nothing more half assed than seeing one big open building with a "wall" separating two courts. There is also the question of fairness. Look at Minot this year. They have a good chance of playing in the championship in all 3 major tournaments and for all 3 of them they have to bus 5 hours to Fargo or 3 1/2 to Grand Forks. Meanwhile the East doesn't really travel at all.

Montana was picked for like 8th in the Sky.

Montana had a new coach, and all the media didnt give them a chance.

But somehow, Montana ended up in first place and will host (and the women's tournament too).

Montana turned a potentially disastrous season into lemonade.

Maybe UND's AD can learn a lesson or two.

Montana was picked for like 8th in the Sky.

Montana had a new coach, and all the media didnt give them a chance.

But somehow, Montana ended up in first place and will host (and the women's tournament too).

Montana turned a potentially disastrous season into lemonade.

Maybe UND's AD can learn a lesson or two.

A nice season for Montama. I believe the consensus pick to win it was Weber. I would challenge the notion that Montana was predicted to finish 8th.

I'm convinced Sioux fans don't have the collective will to demand a winner - witness our 10 year Musshole in football.  There is a reason why when you go to any town in North Dakota and bring up sports, UND isn't the topic of conversation.  I am disgusted by our toleration of mediocrity.  

• Upvote 3

I'm convinced Sioux fans don't have the collective will to demand a winner - witness our 10 year Musshole in football. There is a reason why when you go to any town in North Dakota and bring up sports, UND isn't the topic of conversation. I am disgusted by our toleration of mediocrity.

All you hear is NDSU this and that and UND hockey. Football is headed in the right direction, women's basketball got a spark last year while the men's need something to get on the map (signature win, NCAA dance trip and maybe a win) NDSU set the bar in that sport very high too.

• Upvote 1

I'm convinced Sioux fans don't have the collective will to demand a winner - witness our 10 year Musshole in football. There is a reason why when you go to any town in North Dakota and bring up sports, UND isn't the topic of conversation. I am disgusted by our toleration of mediocrity.

There's no question Mussman was the unfortunate precedent set by Faison and his administration.

After 2012 (ironically also finishing the season against Northern Colorado, like this years MBB team), most supporters -including myself- knew the level of energy and commitment from the football team was no longer at an acceptable level; a change needed to be made. Of course, Faison elected to give Mussman the benefit of the doubt because Mussman and the 2011 UND football team were co-champions of a very suspect Great West Conference. Sure enough, with even 7 home games on the schedule, UND went 3-8 in 2013 and was even worse than in 2012. Faison finally did the right thing and removed Mussman.

The same situation presents itself, although now with Jones. Jones produced a mediocre season in 2013-2014, which apparently will buy him another season, even though this season has been a complete disaster (8-22; 4-14 in conference) and I see no reason for next season to be significantly better. Faison is again taking a risk that may end up digging another program, this time MBB, into the proverbially pit.

• Upvote 1

This...^^^

Most succinct post to accurately describe the overall plight of UND athletics (minus hockey cause they get all the $$$) I have read lately.

Not gonna happen. Nor should it. Team really only blown out twice. 2nd place finish in big sky last year. Brand new team this year. A few breaks and they are 10-8. Jones deserves non transition recruiting class run and he will get it.

Not gonna happen and nor should it happen are 2 COMPLETELY different things in this situation...unfortunately you can't and/or won't grasp that. There are a few around here still defending Muss. Jones is the MBB version of Muss. Anyone who has followed this athletic department for 10+ years can see this.

Jones is a "loser"... factual from his accumulative record at UND over the years. His time has come to be shown the door.

This...^^^

Most succinct post to accurately describe the overall plight of UND athletics (minus hockey cause they get all the $$$) I have read lately.

You know, hockey doesn't make as much $$$ as you'd think. I'm not sure on the exact figures, but they aren't as much as of much of a revenue driver as you'd think. Point is, hockey is successful because the standard and facilities are in place. Football will soon also be successful like hockey because the facilities (HPC) and standard (Bubba and BSC title aspirations every season) are set. UND MBB is not there; facilities are poor to average (no video boards is the big one, along with bleacher seating) and little to no standards. Jones is so disorganized as far as where he wants this team to end up; a carbon copy of Mussman.

You know, hockey doesn't make as much $$$ as you'd think. I'm not sure on the exact figures, but they aren't as much as of much of a revenue driver as you'd think. Point is, hockey is successful because the standard and facilities are in place. Football will soon also be successful like hockey because the facilities (HPC) and standard (Bubba and BSC title aspirations every season) are set. UND MBB is not there; facilities are poor to average (no video boards is the big one, along with bleacher seating) and standards. Jones is so disorganized as far as where he wants this team to end up; a carbon copy of Mussman.

I hear you...my bad as I forgot the "rolling eyes" on my hockey part.

Anyone with at least one functioning brain cell knows Jones will not get fired this year..nor should he get fired this year

Stop trying to "rattle up" the crowd. I highly doubt you can come up with anything that hasn't already been said as far as why Jones should be kept around.

Jones will likely get another season because he has two years left on this contract, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't get fired. He absolutely should be removed. UND went 8-22 this season and yet you support the program's direction? Go NDSU, right?

Do the Jones defenders honestly think we can't find a coach that would do better for us? Are you kidding me!? Come on now.

It is easier to find a good new coach with some good players, like Hooker, already there and some good new talent coming in, than it will be with an empty cupboard, if Jones stays. Yes, Jones recruited the talent both current and future, but how much more success will he have recruiting, with his results of this season. Now is the time to let him go, before further damage is done.

Anyone with at least one functioning brain cell knows Jones will not get fired this year..nor should he get fired this year

Only because of his contract and how few people actually support the BB team. No private money to buy him out. Great point.

Next year won't be much better so he will get the gate then.

With the season ending loss to Northern Colorado, Jones' all time record against the 5 former NCC schools that are now DI stands at 11-31.

With 3 full seasons of Big Sky play in the books, UND is 6-21 against conference teams that finished a season with winning records.  6-11 over the first two years when we finished in 3rd and 2nd place respectively.

Jones is 2-12 all time against Big Sky "elite" Weber St. (0-7) and Montana (2-5).

So, y'all are sarin' that Jones is so bad he will not be picked up by another program (reducing UND's cost in buying out his contract).

That should be the first clue that he shouldn't be coaching a D-I program with aspirations to become a relevant/winning program.

So, y'all are sarin' that Jones is so bad he will not be picked up by another program (reducing UND's cost in buying out his contract).

That should be the first clue that he shouldn't be coaching a D-I program with aspirations to become a relevant/winning program.

I doubt he'll ever be a college head coach again after UND, but I think he'd have a good shot at getting an assistant job somewhere. Maybe even at his alma mater. How ironic would that be considering Jake also hired Rich Glas nine years ago?