SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

The problem is, there is about 100 different ways to define "getting it done". 

OOC and overall record?  Very disappointing and not a single person has claimed it is acceptable. 

Conference regular season and tournament?  Pretty encouraging the last two years.  Highest finish for a newcomer to the league ever. Finished 3rd and 2nd in his first two years in the standings and conference tournament.  This year, not so much but that isn't a total shock with what was lost.  The GWC was what it was, but Jones did win the conference tournament twice. 

Recruiting? Talent level appears to be on the rise. For those that care, he has beat NDSU in the two most recent head to head battles that I'm aware of on players both teams wanted (Hooker and Shanks)

Off the court stuff?  Haven't heard much of anything about them getting in trouble.  Had one or two academic eligibility issues and team GPA could probably be higher but players aren't transferring out left and right either.

Pretty good summation.  

Although, some have argued that the OOC doesn't matter and frankly, the record is acceptable.  

Conference tournament results have been positive the past two years-gave themselves a chance.  But, they aren't going to make it this year.

The whole transfer experiment has been a "meh" for me.  Nash is a nice wing with length and logged a ton of minutes, Coleman has been OK, Shanks is pretty much a freshman so I don't even include him as a "transfer" and he has been pretty good, de Rouen has been poor, IMO, Calcaterra and Salmonson don't even play, Tyler has been pretty steady and as advertised, Hobaugh brings good energy.  

To me if you are going to bring in a ton of transfers, at least 1-2 of them should be difference makers.  UND seems to have gotten a whole bunch of role players but no stars.  Hooker, a high school signee, is their star.  

We will have to wait and see who is all on the team come next fall based on the eligibility, etc.  The incoming freshman look good but obviously aren't going to turn around the program next year.  That is up to Hooker, Shanks, and Tyler.  

Team GPA could be a lot higher, believe it was the lowest of any team on campus.  But, that changes semester to semester so might not be a big deal. 

The whole transfer experiment has been a "meh" for me.  Nash is a nice wing with length and logged a ton of minutes, Coleman has been OK, Shanks is pretty much a freshman so I don't even include him as a "transfer" and he has been pretty good, de Rouen has been poor, IMO, Calcaterra and Salmonson don't even play, Tyler has been pretty steady and as advertised, Hobaugh brings good energy.  

Brekke getting injured played a big part in the issues with big men.  Low and mid-majors have to take some risks at that position whether it be undeveloped high school guys or JuCo transfers. 

Traylor and Salmonson were brought in to replace Mathison and Mitchell, don't think they thought Wilmer would contribute all that much his senior year.

I don't think Calceterra gets recruited last year if Brekke doesn't get injured and his status wasn't questionable.

I think Nash was a no brainer, guessing Jones had some insight from his Iowa connections on that.

Shanks was a no brainer as well

Tyler had to sit out a year and bridge the gap and they knew he could score.  Both him and Shanks are from the MSP area which helps.

Hobaugh transferred as a walk-on, he wanted to get an ATC degree.  Not even sure he was recruited.  Has earned playing time though.

Not 100% sold on the transfers brought in this year though.  Guessing the offense needed to come from somewhere especially with them not knowing about Nash.  The classes needed to be balanced out a little better at some point as well.

If Jones does show some improvements and get an extension, I don't think there'd be much for transfers going forward outside of a big guy here or there or possibly an impact player who wants to transfer back to the area.  Though I guess Bernstine is coming in next year but I think UND recruited him out of high school (maybe not?).

Why Italy, I'm betting they play against Huff's team in Italy.

Not sure whether he'll still be playing over there by then.

Extra practices and scrimmages before the next season, just like what the women did when they went to Canada.

Yep.  They get something like 10 extra summer practices plus the games and workouts on the trip.  Can do it once every 4 years.  Not sure if Italy is the right answer every time due to costs, but definitely something the men's and women's teams need to take advantage of just for the practice time, even if it is just up to Canada.

Here's an article on Michigan's Italy trip they took before this season. 

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/08/06/mens-hoops-set-for-august-italy-exhibition-trip/

Not working out very well for them this season.

Yeah I agree.  Referenced that particular one more for what they did in Italy while they were over there I guess.  If Shields, Cashman, Bernstine and possibly Crandall are going to be contributors next year, it will be helpful.

So those that support Jones and the BSC prediction of finishing 9th, if UND finishes below that (we are currently 10th) does that give one more reason to can him, or keep him in hopes of a miracle tournament run and possible CIT berth next year.

So those that support Jones and the BSC prediction of finishing 9th, if UND finishes below that (we are currently 10th) does that give one more reason to can him, or keep him in hopes of a miracle tournament run and possible CIT berth next year.

It's only one spot below where they were predicted, which isn't too shabby considering how cold it has been in grand forks this winter!

Look at the bright side! It would be tough to do any worse! So they can only improve on this season!

• Upvote 2

It's only one spot below where they were predicted, which isn't too shabby considering how cold it has been in grand forks this winter!

Look at the bright side! It would be tough to do any worse! So they can only improve on this season!

It's just sad to be that low in any major sport at UND.

Yeah, it's too bad there's that permanent frontal boundary between Grand Forks and Fargo that keeps it cold in the northern valley and sooooo much warmer in the southern valley. :silly:

• Upvote 1

Since Jones is worth 5 bucks that should be easy.

I said every time, which would probably put your somewhere around a Coaches Club size donation with still a few weeks to go before the offseason.  I look forward to seeing your name on the donor list next year.

And congrats on not liking the guy as a coach, I get it and you are more than entitled to that opinion, but at least try to keep it a little bit above the belt with the personal comments.

I said every time, which would probably put your somewhere around a Coaches Club size donation with still a few weeks to go before the offseason.  I look forward to seeing your name on the donor list next year.

And congrats on not liking the guy as a coach, I get it, but at least try to keep it a little bit above the belt with the personal comments, especially someone you haven't been in the same building as more than once or twice.

Cue the Brian Jones poster line.

I said every time, which would probably put your somewhere around a Coaches Club size donation with still a few weeks to go before the offseason. I look forward to seeing your name on the donor list next year.

And congrats on not liking the guy as a coach, I get it and you are more than entitled to that opinion, but at least try to keep it a little bit above the belt with the personal comments.

And congrats on sticking up for him as usual. His coaching skills are worth more than 5 bucks. He couldn't coach kids at West Elementary School.