SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Do the Jones defenders honestly think we can't find a coach that would do better for us? Are you kidding me!? Come on now.

Not gonna happen and nor should it happen are 2 COMPLETELY different things in this situation...unfortunately you can't and/or won't grasp that. There are a few around here still defending Muss. Jones is the MBB version of Muss. Anyone who has followed this athletic department for 10+ years can see this.

Jones is a "loser"... factual from his accumulative record at UND over the years. His time has come to be shown the door.

I have "defended" Jones.  And I'm sure there is a better coach out there. But will UND buy Jones out of his two year contract? And pay a new coach a higher salary?  Oh, and getting a good coach to come here, can it happen?  Do you trust the AD to make it happen?  Then you have to consider transfers that could come about. I only say let him have another year because a player of Crandall's caliber and Seales, along with Hooker's continued development, can turn this program around in a hurry.  But then you have a dilemma next year... 

I have "defended" Jones.  And I'm sure there is a better coach out there. But will UND buy Jones out of his two year contract? And pay a new coach a higher salary?  Oh, and getting a good coach to come here, can it happen?  Do you trust the AD to make it happen?  Then you have to consider transfers that could come about. I only say let him have another year because a player of Crandall's caliber and Seales, along with Hooker's continued development, can turn this program around in a hurry.  But then you have a dilemma next year... 

A buyout may or may not end up being much of an issue. For one thing, it would be due in monthly installments, as opposed to a lump sum. Secondly, it would be reduced by any coaching income he would derive in the next two years. I'm fairly confident the contract also provides a provision that Jones would have to actively seek other employment, as well, so he couldn't just sit back and have an extended "summer of George" while collecting checks. As for the potential loss of players, that's a real possibility, although it could probably be obviated to a large degree if the next coach kept a current assistant on staff.  

Would it be improper to suggest to BF that he consider following BJ out the door as well...........

Improper? Maybe.  Relevant? Absolutely!

Can we get enough emails to the AD and President to get a change? I just wonder if they will take everyone's dissatisfaction into consideration and do something about it. I just see this admin holding still this year. 

Improper? Maybe. Relevant? Absolutely!

Can we get enough emails to the AD and President to get a change? I just wonder if they will take everyone's dissatisfaction into consideration and do something about it. I just see this admin holding still this year.

Don't be mistaken, proper respectful emails to Mr. Kelley and Mr. Faison will be factored into the decision.

Make sure the emails are well thought out and they aren't composed simply because this site encourages it; have a sincere belief that coach Jones needs to be replaced.

Don't be mistaken, proper respectful emails to Mr. Kelley and Mr. Faison will be factored into the decision.

Make sure the emails are well thought out and they aren't composed simply because this site encourages it; have a sincere belief that coach Jones needs to be replaced.

In other words. Make sure you don't call him a prick and an idiot.

You hold superficial grudges I see; does that help you in your career field?

Your credibility out the window with the "prick and idiot" comment. Find it hilarious that you would ask people to be professional in an email. As for holding grudges and my career field - I don't know - probably not.

Jones has to go. Underperformed for the most part, losing record over 9 seasons, and falling attendance indicates increasing apathy towards the basketball program by casual fans. Just had one of the worst seasons in school history, and yet people are saying that it's not his fault? 

Look back at the games and you can note a glaring lack of in-game coaching changes. Questionable personnel decisions, lack of half-time adjustments, and failure to manage the game leads to losses. Some people on here cite the fact that many of the losses were by only a basket or two. One or two tough losses can be expected in basketball, but the fact that this team never closed out a game or came through in the clutch cannot be put on the players simply not performing, it also comes down to execution which comes directly from the coaches, be it in timeouts or the practice prior to the game. 

Jones' teams have been incredibly consistent in very frustrating ways. Free throw shooting and rebounding are built by effort, dedication, and practice. UND has not been good in these two categories for several seasons and that comes down to the coaches. 

IMO, Jones has to go, a change has to be made, and the basketball program has to start moving in a different direction.

• Upvote 4

A buyout may or may not end up being much of an issue. For one thing, it would be due in monthly installments, as opposed to a lump sum. Secondly, it would be reduced by any coaching income he would derive in the next two years. I'm fairly confident the contract also provides a provision that Jones would have to actively seek other employment, as well, so he couldn't just sit back and have an extended "summer of George" while collecting checks. As for the potential loss of players, that's a real possibility, although it could probably be obviated to a large degree if the next coach kept a current assistant on staff.  

Maybe Jones could get a job as a Frolf (Frisbee Golf) coach?

Or maybe our very own poster Art Vandalay could get him a job in Latex.

I don't think we can worry about the level of commitment the recruits have to UND.   Getting a coach in here that actually develops talent and through his coaching ability puts the team in a position to win is more important to the overall health of the program  than the possible loss of a recruit or two.   

• Upvote 3

Or maybe our very own poster Art Vandalay could get him a job in Latex.

I don't think we can worry about the level of commitment the recruits have to UND. Getting a coach in here that actually develops talent and through his coaching ability puts the team in a position to win is more important to the overall health of the program than the possible loss of a recruit or two.

Quality "latex" reference.

• Upvote 1

Or maybe our very own poster Art Vandalay could get him a job in Latex.

I don't think we can worry about the level of commitment the recruits have to UND.   Getting a coach in here that actually develops talent and through his coaching ability puts the team in a position to win is more important to the overall health of the program  than the possible loss of a recruit or two.   

If Jones is retained, I highly recommend that he try "doing the opposite" of what his instincts tell him to do. Couldn't hurt. ;)

• Upvote 4

If anyone leaves because Jones gets fired, fine I would rather that than have to suffer through another year of watching his teams.

Who is going to leave?  3/4 of the roster is made up of players that already transferred.  They cannot sit out another year without burning most all their eligibility and no coach is going to take a kid off UND's roster for 1 year.  

Hooker would be the only one to worry about.  1 player, big deal.  

• Upvote 1

Who is going to leave?  3/4 of the roster is made up of players that already transferred.  They cannot sit out another year without burning most all their eligibility and no coach is going to take a kid off UND's roster for 1 year.  

Hooker would be the only one to worry about.  1 player, big deal.  

The players people would worry about are Hooker, Cashman, Shields, Seales and Crandall. If any of them decide to move on, fine. One step back to take 1,000,000 steps forward.

Who is going to leave? 3/4 of the roster is made up of players that already transferred. They cannot sit out another year without burning most all their eligibility and no coach is going to take a kid off UND's roster for 1 year.

Hooker would be the only one to worry about. 1 player, big deal.

What about the opposite, maybe bringing in a coach with HC experience that proved to be a winner can attract more recruits that was turned off by Jones. Bubba had players leave when Muss was fired but look at the players that want to play for Bubba and things turned around quickly in his first year. Jones is a liability not an asset.

• Upvote 1

Mussman firing was made public on a Monday, so if you don't hear anything by Monday night, it's safe to say Faison has granted Jones another season.

But if we do hear something and BJ is gone, one can expect to hear of a new coach being named by......July 4th?

Rich Glad was at least an ambassador for the team, who let his assistants coaches handle much of the x's and o's. With McDermott and Jacobson as assistants, the technical stuff was in good hands until they left. Jones seems to look at the PR side with disdain.

The program needs a new start and new life.