SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

How does UNI afford to pay Ben Jacobson a half mill a year? Does the MVC and Tv payout that much?

Well, they draw alot better for one thing.  The conference has a TV deal with ESPN and that money flows to each school.  They get alot of money for Tournament credits because the MVC often get multiple teams in the NCAAs and they often win games in the tournament.

Inside sources in the AD dept just laugh at the tiny minority people posting that Jones needs to be canned.  TheY wonder where do these people come from and do they have no pride in being wrong ..every day, and every season...wrong wrong and wrong again..Yet they persist in their folly.   The AD  does expect UND to get into the playoffs next season if not Jones will be MAY be replaced and the discussion about his future moves from absurd to a topic for sane people...  Until then Jones is the coach and  I was right about him not getting fired last season or this season and all of you are still wrong day after day and year after year.

Inside sources in the AD dept just laugh at the tiny minority people posting that Jones needs to be canned. TheY wonder where do these people come from and do they have no pride in being wrong ..every day, and every season...wrong wrong and wrong again..Yet they persist in their folly. The AD does expect UND to get into the playoffs next season if not Jones will be MAY be replaced and the discussion about his future moves from absurd to a topic for sane people... Until then Jones is the coach and I was right about him not getting fired last season or this season and all of you are still wrong day after day and year after year.

Yeah right.

Inside sources in the AD dept just laugh at the tiny minority people posting that Jones needs to be canned.  TheY wonder where do these people come from and do they have no pride in being wrong ..every day, and every season...wrong wrong and wrong again..Yet they persist in their folly.   The AD  does expect UND to get into the playoffs next season if not Jones will be MAY be replaced and the discussion about his future moves from absurd to a topic for sane people...  Until then Jones is the coach and  I was right about him not getting fired last season or this season and all of you are still wrong day after day and year after year.

Given the fact he failed to get last year's most talented team in school history a signature win, or a dance appearance, or barely finish above .500....And followed that up with 6 D1 wins this year,  I think we're right right and right again in our opinion of Jones.   But you keep drinking the kool-aid.

If that is the case, then it's the Athletic Department that needs a good housecleaning, not this forum.  Mediocrity is accepted as "just the way things are" around here and I am sick and tired of it.  I honestly am still surprised they replaced Mussman with Bubba, happy that they did, but still surprised.  Look for Jones to finish out his contract and then move on, with attendance dropping below 1,000 per game on average.  I hope Jones proves me wrong, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

• Upvote 3

If that is the case, then it's the Athletic Department that needs a good housecleaning, not this forum.  Mediocrity is accepted as "just the way things are" around here and I am sick and tired of it.  I honestly am still surprised they replaced Mussman with Bubba, happy that they did, but still surprised.  Look for Jones to finish out his contract and then move on, with attendance dropping below 1,000 per game on average.  I hope Jones proves me wrong, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

If UND continues this path and NDSU gets dance trip after dance trip, you will have the same thing happen that the football program experienced. A huge loss in fan base even some fans going to the other side, and a long way back to build it up.

• Upvote 1

If you believe everything you read on a message board as gospel than the issue lies with you.  And while it may have happened, can you name an instance where Faison allowed a coach to finish up their contract rather than being let go with a year or more remaining? 

If that is the case, then it's the Athletic Department that needs a good housecleaning, not this forum. Mediocrity is accepted as "just the way things are" around here and I am sick and tired of it. I honestly am still surprised they replaced Mussman with Bubba, happy that they did, but still surprised. Look for Jones to finish out his contract and then move on, with attendance dropping below 1,000 per game on average. I hope Jones proves me wrong, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Less than 1000 per game? Are we at less than 1000 per game?

The big thing is, if you replace Jones and don't up the salary substantially, you still get the same quality guy IMO. I'm not convinced we are ready to take the big step and get the salary in line with where it needs to be and can we afford to increase the $$$ and pay Jones for the next 2 years? I'm still leaning towards giving Jones one more year and the understanding things need to be a whole lot better next year.

Remember, we need to start paying stipends next year, so money is going to be flowing out much faster than in the past.

This is not entirely true.

Yes, UND may have to up the salary slightly, by maybe 20-30K, but there are plenty of proven DII winners out there looking for a shot at DI basketball. Remember, the game of basketball is still the same from DII to DI, just more competition. Jones did not demonstrate any head coach winning ability prior to his hire; DII coaches making less have at least won games and made good game-time decisions.

Less than 1000 per game? Are we at less than 1000 per game?

2012-13 1625 

2013-14 1839 (thanks NDSU)

2014-15 1700

Not quite 1000, but not getting closer to 2000 like the one year in the GWC (thanks again to NDSU) or the NCC days.

2012-13 1625 

2013-14 1839 (thanks NDSU)

2014-15 1700

Not quite 1000, but not getting closer to 2000 like the one year in the GWC (thanks again to NDSU) or the NCC days.

I get your point on NDSU but they are going to be on the home schedule every other year so its not like a one time thing like the Kansas game was. 

A change absolutely needs to be made after this season, or else the inevitable will just happen this time next season.

Brian Jones has an overall record, from 2006 to the present, of 126-151. That's well under 0.500 after 9 seasons, and all coaching removals can be justified by losing, particularly if the sample size is large enough.

From 2006-2008 in the DII NCC, Jones mustered out a 26-32 overall record and a measly 5-20 conference record. From 2008 to 2012, in the Great West Conference (where competition is especially weak), Jones and UND went 60-64 overall and 24-22 in the conference. As a member of the Big Sky Conference, an automatic bid DI league that gives UND basketball a great opportunity, Jones and UND have gone 41-55 overall and 28-29 in the conference. All records are unacceptable and should certainly support the removal of Jones.

For those who suggest this a rebuilding year, I do not agree. UND went 0.500 in 2013-2014, so there should be improvement from that, not descent. Also, UND and Jones have recruited and developed poorly. The starting lineup is not absent of talent and experience; it includes 6th year Sr. Jaron Nash, DI Transfer Jr. Estan Tyler, and DI Transfer Jr. Terrel de Rouen. Also, coming off the bench, is Sr. Lenny Antwi. Lastly, there is a waste of potential and/or spots with Jr. Benton not even playing, and last year rotation players Sr. Calcaterra and Sr. Salmonson not even playing. The team is a mess and its because Jones did not develop and plan out his roster accordingly. This horrific 8-21 (4-13) season is largely on him.

Just to show how this Athletic Department values it's mens basketball program, how long do you think Hak would have been around with a .500 record for the past 9 years?!!  I doubt he would have made it to year 5!!  Not sure how you can look at the record the past 9 years and honeslty think that Jones is doing a great job.  sure you can have a couple rebuilding seasons, much like this year.  But to have the same result year in and year out and expect things to drastically change is rediculous!! 

I get your point on NDSU but they are going to be on the home schedule every other year so its not like a one time thing like the Kansas game was. 

I wonder if we will have a year where Montana or Weber outdraws NDSU, or since we are bitter rivals they will always be the #1 attendance draw.

If you believe everything you read on a message board as gospel than the issue lies with you.  And while it may have happened, can you name an instance where Faison allowed a coach to finish up their contract rather than being let go with a year or more remaining? 

Oh, I'm the problem here!?!? :silly:   Shooting the messenger is not going to help us.  And I don't need a message board to tell you that this is a mediocre program on the fast track to nowhere.  Their won-loss record says that.

Oh, I'm the problem here!?!? :silly: Shooting the messenger is not going to help us. And I don't need a message board to tell you that this is a mediocre program on the fast track to nowhere. Their won-loss record says that.

The butts in the seats or lack of says it too.

• Upvote 1

Great Job By Jones.....“It’s upsetting,” said UND sophomore guard Quinton Hooker, who finished with a game-high 23 points. “You come here and work hard. Then coaches give us an amazing game plan to follow. They give us every tool they possess for us to be successful. We go out there and work hard.

“And the shot just doesn’t go in. I thought it was going in. But it’s almost funny because it’s how this whole season has been.” Even Hooker says Jones is an Amazing Coach.... Now the trolls and haters will  turn on Hooker and say he is a lousy human being and player!

When is the last time you heard of a player (especially in college football but still applicable here) completely call out a coach who was going to be or had been relieved of his duties?  How many Florida players said "yea, definitely time for a change" after Will Muschamp was let go?  Any?  No, no one did.  Of course nobody's going to criticize Jones. 

If I'm meeting a MBB coach at the Moorhead Starbucks to talk job, it's not the one from Concordia. But I'm pretty sure there's another around there worth talking to

Taking over a team that was 10-17 prior to his arrival, Walthall, in his second season at MSUM, took the Dragons to the NCAA tournament, recording a first-round win

OK, MSUM is D II.

So here is a pretty impressive statistic from the article...

Walthall has never had a losing record in conference play in 11 years as a collegiate head coach.

Jones had 8 wins this seson...eight!!! While the school in UND's recruiting footprint and fanbase has 20 soon to be 21 wins with a first year coach. Doesn't this bother anyone else? Now men's basketball is free falling worse than the football team, at least Bubba inproved the team his first year. There are better coaches out there...hire one Faison!!

Jones had 8 wins this seson...eight!!! While the school in UND's recruiting footprint and fanbase has 20 soon to be 21 wins with a first year coach. Doesn't this bother anyone else? Now men's basketball is free falling worse than the football team, at least Bubba inproved the team his first year. There are better coaches out there...hire one Faison!!

Not gonna happen. Nor should it. Team really only blown out twice. 2nd place finish in big sky last year. Brand new team this year. A few breaks and they are 10-8. Jones deserves non transition recruiting class run and he will get it.

Not gonna happen. Nor should it. Team really only blown out twice. 2nd place finish in big sky last year. Brand new team this year. A few breaks and they are 10-8. Jones deserves non transition recruiting class run and he will get it.

We understand the circumstances surrounding Jones and his contract at UND. He will not be dismissed and will get at least another season because he has two more years remaining on his contract. Don't bring up the transition years and such; Jones was able to put together a "brand new team" in 2010 that won twice as many games as this "brand new" team did. An 8 win season (1-9 vs DI opponents at home) and last place conference finish is always inexcusable, and yet you try to defend Jones with "breaks"? I honestly hope you realize you are in the vast minority on this topic and it's because your thought process is completely irrational.

You're supporting Jones because:

1) you want to troll (start arguments by playing devils advocate or you're an NDSU supporter)

or

2) you personally know Jones and/or you're family (Jones being dismissed would directly affect you)

If you claim neither of these possibilities, you're straightforwardly denying the truth. You just can't possibly support a coach that finished last in the conference otherwise, and you continually support him with blind faith.

• Upvote 2

We understand the circumstances surrounding Jones and his contract at UND. He will not be dismissed and will get at least another season because he has two more years remaining on his contract. Don't bring up the transition years and such; Jones was able to put together a freshmen class in 2010 that won twice as many games as this "young, rebuilding" class did. An 8 win season and last place conference is always inexcusable, and yet you try to defend Jones with "breaks"? I honestly hope you realize you are in the vast majority on this topic and it's because your thought process is completely irrational.

You're supporting Jones because:

1) you want to troll (start arguments by playing devils advocate or you're an NDSU supporter)

or

2) you personally know Jones and/or you're family (Jones being dismissed would directly affect you)

If you claim neither of these possibilities, you're straightforwardly denying the truth. You just can't possibly support a coach that finished last in the conference otherwise, and you continually support him with blind faith.

Want nothing but the best for the program. Certainly happy to be in the majority as you stated as well. Bias and perspective Frank. That's what all this is. Can make the same statement regarding your inability to be rational. You don't whack a coach after a down year when the previous year was second place finish in conference.

• Upvote 1

Want nothing but the best for the program. Certainly happy to be in the majority as you stated as well. Bias and perspective Frank. That's what all this is. Can make the same statement regarding your inability to be rational. You don't whack a coach after a down year when the previous year was second place finish in conference.

You do realize that 2nd place finish was actually a three way tie that UND had the breaker for, right? And that UND was blown out by the only decent BSC team that year, Weber State, more than once. You can tell the conference was down in 2013-2014 because the conference winner (WSU) received only a 16 seed for the NCAA tournament.

Defending Jones is pointless for you; you contradict yourself by even stating you want what's best for the program. Jones is leading this team to another losing season next season, but I doubt you'd be willing to agree with that. Just wait and see.

You do realize that 2nd place finish was actually a three way tie that UND had the breaker for, right? And that UND was blown out by the only decent BSC team that year, Weber State, more than once. You can tell the conference was down in 2013-2014 because the conference winner (WSU) received only a 16 seed for the NCAA tournament.

Defending this team is pointless. Jones is leading this team to another losing season next season, but I doubt you'd be willing to agree with that. Just wait and see.

Sounds good Frank.