SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Instead of writing checks to und Phil Jackson should coach und for 4 years

I am shocked how a "famous" alum really does nothing for UND. I don't see him with UND basketball at all, or even attend a game. I think the press would be shocked to learn he is from UND. The only connection I remember him being associated with UND is him saying UND should drop the Sioux name.

• Upvote 1

I am shocked how a "famous" alum really does nothing for UND. I don't see him with UND basketball at all, or even attend a game. I think the press would be shocked to learn he is from UND. The only connection I remember him being associated with UND is him saying UND should drop the Sioux name.

Could it possibly be because he is busy and has been for the past 30 or so years?  Seriously Darrell.   :silly:

• Upvote 1

Certainly appears the hiring of Jones was questionable at the beginning. I just think a MBB coach should have some head coaching success before being hired as a DI coach. Jones apparently had negative reviews before even being hired. It's his time to go. A decade of Brian Jones would be too much for any ambitious DI basketball program.

Count me in this camp.

I was actually stumping pretty hard for Jones when that hiring process was going on.  It was pretty clear that we were about to make the jump to DI, and with his background as a long time DI assistant of Steve Alford and being a part of a staff that took two different programs to multiple NCAA tournaments, I felt at the time he was the perfect fit to lead us into DI. 

Now I feel the major pre-requisite should be in a hiring process for basketball is that a coach should have displayed the ability to win as head coach at some level.

He has been a coach in the NBA continuously for 20+ years and is now President of an NBA franchise. 

If you live in Fargo and never attend a game, why would you expect a guy who lives in New York City to attend a game?

• Upvote 3

AND in your eloquently stated earlier post, he is a "prick and an idiot".

Since you have a difficult time understanding context, I'll clarify for you.

The term "prick" represents his rather unfortunate (and disgraceful) demeanor and response to what Paul Ralston innocently said a couple seasons ago. Also, his lack of community involvement is troubling, and it may portray being a "prick".

As for being an "idiot", I in no way claim to know Mr. Jones personally; however, I have been able to witness and assess his line of work and I feel his teams have consistently shown ineptitude. For that, I feel Mr. Jones, in terms of basketball coaching, is an "idiot" at the DI coaching level. As revealed above, apparently Steve Alford at Iowa thought the same.

He has been a coach in the NBA continuously for 20+ years and is now President of an NBA franchise.

If you live in Fargo and never attend a game, why would you expect a guy who lives in New York City to attend a game?

If Jackson had 3 small kids and worked a per hour job on the weekends I am sure he couldn't find much time outside NYC for his teams road games.

If Jackson had 3 small kids and worked a per hour job on the weekends I am sure he couldn't find much time outside NYC for his teams road games.

So you are saying that you have responsibilities that preclude you from attending games. 

I am saying Jackson has responsibilities that preclude him from attending games.

There are few members on this site that are as critical of attendance at several UND sporting events, or lack-there-of, as I am.  I am fortunate enough to be able to attend quite a lot of UND events.

Don't be that guy that never attends games, and then criticizes others for doing the same.

• Upvote 3

Since you have a difficult time understanding context, I'll clarify for you.

The term "prick" represents his rather unfortunate (and disgraceful) demeanor and response to what Paul Ralston innocently said a couple seasons ago. Also, his lack of community involvement is troubling, and it may portray being a "prick".

As for being an "idiot", I in no way claim to know Mr. Jones personally; however, I have been able to witness and assess his line of work and I feel his teams have consistently shown ineptitude. For that, I feel Mr. Jones, in terms of basketball coaching, is an "idiot" at the DI coaching level. As revealed above, apparently Steve Alford at Iowa thought the same.

You are a man of great honor, thought and integrity when you anonymously call someone a prick and an idiot on a message board. Way below belt. Like I said earlier a metaphorical punch in the face from behind and dead sprint to the car.

So you are saying that you have responsibilities that preclude you from attending games.

I am saying Jackson has responsibilities that preclude him from attending games.

There are few members on this site that are as critical of attendance at several UND sporting events, or lack-there-of, as I am. I am fortunate enough to be able to attend quite a lot of UND events.

Don't be that guy that never attends games, and then criticizes others for doing the same.

I do try to attend games it's not like I never get up to Grand Forks, and the only thing I heard about Jackson that the media bit on was the nickname issue.

I do try to attend games it's not like I never get up to Grand Forks, and the only thing I heard about Jackson that the media bit on was the nickname issue.

How many basketball games have you been to in the last decade?  Is it more or less than the number of posts you have criticizing attendance at basketball games?

I'll answer a question with a question.

What are the odds a new coach does better than Jones?

Unless you pay good money to somehow bring in a proven coach which is very unlikely....you get an unproven coach that all you can do is hope pans out....just like hiring Jones.

Nobody knew who Jones was and I don't think he was on anyone's top list of finalists (except the AD I guess).

UND could easily get a coach worse than Jones.

You're asking people to predict the future.

To paraphrase Clark Griswold from Christmas Vacation...... "Worse?!  How could it get any worse?!   Take a look around!  We're at the threshold of Hell!" 

• Upvote 1

How many basketball games have you been to in the last decade?  Is it more or less than the number of posts you have criticizing attendance at basketball games?

So now regular attendance at MBB games is a prerequisite for being critical of the program?  Sorry, but that is pure Horse Hockey.  I am sure darell1976 watches games on television even if he can't make it up to Grand Forks to watch in-person.  I go to a couple of games each season (men's and women's), but having season hockey and football tickets eats up a lot of my weekends during the fall and winter months, so I think season basketball tickets are out of the question for me.

Bottom line: More winning = more buzz = better attendance.

• Upvote 2

So now regular attendance at MBB games is a prerequisite for being critical of the program?  Sorry, but that is pure Horse Hockey.  I am sure darell1976 watches games on television even if he can't make it up to Grand Forks to watch in-person.  I go to a couple of games each season (men's and women's), but having season hockey and football tickets eats up a lot of my weekends during the fall and winter months, so I think season basketball tickets are out of the question for me.

Bottom line: More winning = more buzz = better attendance.

Talk about putting words in people's mouths.  I didn't say it was any sort of prerequisite for being critical.  But calling out Phil Jackson for not showing up or claiming falling attendance is an interesting "factoid" when someone has attended less than a handful of games themselves over the past decade is pretty hypocritical.

I do agree that more winning will lead to better attendance, no one will argue that.

Talk about putting words in people's mouths.  I didn't say it was any sort of prerequisite for being critical.  But calling out Phil Jackson for not showing up or claiming falling attendance is an interesting "factoid" when someone has attended less than a handful of games themselves over the past decade is pretty hypocritical.

I do agree that more winning will lead to better attendance, no one will argue that.

Okay, but it just sounded like it.  And I don't think Phil Jackson and darrell1976 are comparable individuals (heck, Phil Jackson and anyone else on this forum aren't comparable).  Darrell1976 is just venting his frustration at the state of our MBB team, like a lot of people on here have been.

• Upvote 1

Okay, but it just sounded like it. And I don't think Phil Jackson and darrell1976 are comparable individuals (heck, Phil Jackson and anyone else on this forum aren't comparable). Darrell1976 is just venting his frustration at the state of our MBB team, like a lot of people on here have been.

I just think it's odd how a major figure in MBB like Phil Jackson is so disconnected with UND except to give his 2 cents on the nickname. Jim Kleinsasser does more for his roots (UND, Carrington) than Phil Jackson. Maybe Phil knows some people that could replace Jones.

Jones doesn't develop players or a team. There is no cohesiveness, no improvement over the course of a season let alone a game. Simply put, Jones is a recruiter, not a head coach. UND needs better.

But people here think he needs more time. I guess 9 years isn't enough.

Yes I haven't attended a UND basketball game since the last UND/NDSU game in the Fargodome. I would like to come up to GF for a game, but things have seemed to always come up, my son had a basketball game every Saturday morning, and practice Thursday night, and a little thing called $$$. I do watch UND sports on tv, and on the watchBig Sky app on my phone. So I would think I am connected with UND sports even though my butt isn't in a seat. As my kids get older, and my bank account is getting more healthy I hope to attend more games. I went to two hockey games for the first time in years, and I went to 2 football games (one was a last minute trip driving with no sleep). If I offended Phil I apologize, but doesn't it seem like how a huge "celebrity" couldn't find an off night, an all star weekend, to make an appearance at a UND game. Something like that could bump attendance a little, and a little more media exposure doesn't hurt either.

The hiring of Jones among the candidates was a head scratcher...and we are currently seeing the results of that.

I'm Darrell of 9 years ago...http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/5739-should-rich-glas-resign-or-be-fired/

But I had the timing right as it was Rich's last year.

And if you wanna scroll through memory lane to learn from the mistakes (such as the controversy surrounding UND's preference of Division I or II coaching experience plus a master's degree.)...http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/5512-potential-head-mens-basketball-coaches/

Click the link above to see what the first person to mention Jones in that thread said (page 7):

Couple other interesting quotes (page 18):

I was pretty opinionated back then. Guess I've mellowed a bit in the past decade.  ;)

• Upvote 1