SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Bottom line... Jones hasn't built anything or done anything in 9 years to get me or apparently hardly anyone else who doesn't live in the GF area excited enough make the effort to drive in for games. Winners bring in fans.

• Upvote 1

Bottom line... Jones hasn't built anything or done anything in 9 years to get me or apparently hardly anyone else who doesn't live in the GF area excited enough make the effort to drive in for games. Winners bring in fans.

Hey! They were ahead of Montana State at home for almost the whole game! Look for the bright spots!

"Just ball" being a veiled reference to what?

Constantly jacking up ill advised 3s, getting out worked on the glass, turning it over because of poor decision making and looking to make an ESPN highlight play instead of the simple fundamental play. I have more examples but too lazy to type them all out.

• Upvote 1

Their free-lancing style of play; throwing the ball around recklessly, getting cute around the basket...things you would see on the blacktop in a school yard. Things that generally don't work well in organized basketball.

Know a lot about blacktop, schoolyard basketball? Spent a lot of time on the 'ol blacktop? Maybe Norman Dale is still available.

Who has hung up more Banners at UND, Mussman or Jones? Simple question.

Actual physical banners?  Probably Jones but more due to a difference in the sports.  Jones had 2 Great West tournament championships and the 3 CIT tournaments, can't remember for sure but I know that the postseason tournaments are recognized, not sure about the tournament championships.  Mussman had the one Great West title. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-basketball/3687731-und-mens-basketball-crunching-numbers

“We’ve done things that haven’t shown up in the wins and losses columns,” said Jones. “But we haven’t made any excuses. Our guys aren’t ready to cash in. We just want to go out, have fun and get better.”

“As a head coach, I’ve been through tough seasons before but I haven’t been through a season where so many games have been decided by one or two possessions. It’s a chance for me to grow and I welcome that as a coach.

Have fun? Losing game after game after game is not fun. Not for the players, the fans or his boss.  And just how many game have been decided by 1 or 2 possessions?   2 possessions equals 6 points, UND has lost 4 games by 6 or less and 6 games by 7 or less, or else they have lost 12 games by 8 or more points with most of those losses by double digits.  I would have thought a coach who has coached 9 seasons would have grown up by now. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-basketball/3687731-und-mens-basketball-crunching-numbers

Have fun? Losing game after game after game is not fun. Not for the players, the fans or his boss.  And just how many game have been decided by 1 or 2 possessions?   2 possessions equals 6 points, UND has lost 4 games by 6 or less and 6 games by 7 or less, or else they have lost 12 games by 8 or more points with most of those losses by double digits.  I would have thought a coach who has coached 9 seasons would have grown up by now. 

I'm not going to defend Jones, but you do understand that there are possessions in games that swing things the other way, correct? As in "we had the momentum, but one or two bad possessions stopped it." Kind of like Coach Glas' "runs and gaps" philosophy.

Nice to see you've graduated from simply reading box scores to actually reading game recaps. Your expertise is growing every day. 

I'm not going to defend Jones, but you do understand that there are possessions in games that swing things the other way, correct? As in "we had the momentum, but one or two bad possessions stopped it." Kind of like Coach Glas' "runs and gaps" philosophy.

Nice to see you've graduated from simply reading box scores to actually reading game recaps. Your expertise is growing every day. 

I've watched games and see the players (and Jones) piss the game away late. Saying they have been in every game minus NAU, and NDSU (its in the article) is ridiculous. They got blown out by P5, mid majors and low major teams this season. Saying he needs a chance to grow is just his plea to not be fired.

I've watched games and see the players (and Jones) piss the game away late. Saying they have been in every game minus NAU, and NDSU (its in the article) is ridiculous. They got blown out by P5, mid majors and low major teams this season. Saying he needs a chance to grow is just his plea to not be fired.

Is there a single thing he could have said that you wouldn't have made an attempt at ripping apart?  Seems like you just keep looking for reasons to beat a dead horse.

Is there a single thing he could have said that you wouldn't have made an attempt at ripping apart?  Seems like you just keep looking for reasons to beat a dead horse.

Yep, he could say he is leaving UND at the end of the season. A lot of us fans would be happy to hear that.