SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

...........WELL my good man....15 degrees warmer weather in winter.  Higher paid coaches to obtain and retain staff... Decades of D1 Basketball  history vs years..  A more valid argument is Why has UND has been better RPI average the last 3 years than EW. ,Montana st, Idaho st.,No Az. No Colo. Port. St,Sac St,and So Utah,   It cant be  the weather, the facilities, the in state talent, or Big Money Stud Coaches.... What is the reason why? ??? perhaps the Coach!!

Yeah, but Montana still looks like Siberia to 18 to 24 year olds who are not from there.  And I would argue that North Dakota is not nearly as desolate as Montana is.

In the absence of any inherent advantage or disadvantage relative to other Big Sky Men Hoop Programs than a reasonable expectation would be a mid level Big Sky program.  Summit league basketball is a modest step up from Big Sky per Conference RPI rankings.  Try comparing NDSU football with UND? Jones is doing Great compared to football. NDSU Basketball is in rebuilding mode also. Fargo/Morehead is a shorter drive for Midwest recruit Player families and also more of a bigger city feel.

Not this year.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-conf-rpi.html

It will be voted on by the membership and be allowable by all D-1 members when it passes. Title IX implications also apply so it must be done equally on the men's and women's side.

That will change the whole basketball platform. It's amazing what money will do.

That will change the whole basketball platform. It's amazing what money will do.

It's going to effect athletic department budgets across the board.  And it is money that has to come from somewhere.  Which is why being realistic about coaches being fired and things of that nature is kind of important.

...........WELL my good man....15 degrees warmer weather in winter.  Higher paid coaches to obtain and retain staff... Decades of D1 Basketball  history vs years..  A more valid argument is Why has UND has been better RPI average the last 3 years than EW. ,Montana st, Idaho st.,No Az. No Colo. Port. St,Sac St,and So Utah,   It cant be  the weather, the facilities, the in state talent, or Big Money Stud Coaches.... What is the reason why? ??? perhaps the Coach!!

As I've said before, I don't feel all that strongly one way or the other regarding Jones. 

I disagree that a 15 degree temperature difference gives a school like UM a significant advantage.  Yes, they have been DI much longer, and that is one of  the main reasons that their coaches are paid so much higher.  I don't think there is a much larger pool of talented basketball players in Montana than there are in North Dakota.  If there were, the Griz would have more than 3 Montanans on their roster. 

Our basketball facility is just as good or better than every other Big Sky schools, except for Weber St. and maybe Montana's. 

One the main factors that we've had a lot of success early on in the Big Sky relative to all those schools you mentioned is, in addition to a solid team put together by Jones, is the fact that our athletic department is just flat out better all around than most of those schools.  There are 11 other Big Sky schools, but really only 3 or 4 of them are true peers with North Dakota.  That is why we should ALWAYS be one of the top teams in the conference year in and year out.  So far so good.  I just maintain that we should also be able to have a lot more success in non conference play as well.

Weber is the only Big Sky school that has an inherent advantage in basketball to the rest of the schools. 

• Upvote 2

Much of my frustration with Coach Jones comes from watching his teams the past 4 years.  I know that he had to work with the players he had, but the not boxing out, the 1 on 3 offense, the at times lazy, selfish play year after year was really frustrating to me.  I grew up watching the Gunther years, so this type of basketball drives me nuts - much more so that the won-lost record.  Starting with this year, I hope we see a different brand of basketball.

It's going to effect athletic department budgets across the board. And it is money that has to come from somewhere. Which is why being realistic about coaches being fired and things of that nature is kind of important.

I didn't think about that, it may come down to haking high salary coaches or drop sports to get this money to players. Maybe the NCAA will pay the players from their pocket. (Yes that was a joke)

I didn't think about that, it may come down to haking high salary coaches or drop sports to get this money to players. Maybe the NCAA will pay the players from their pocket. (Yes that was a joke)

Any guesses on how much more money we UND will make in ticket sales by taking one of the student sections away in hockey?

[(seats in section x games x price) - (seats in section x games x 7)] =  ?

Any guesses on how much more money we UND will make in ticket sales by taking one of the student sections away in hockey?

[(seats in section x games x price) - (seats in section x games x 7)] =  ?

A real rough estimate would be approximately $120,000.  That is approximately 300 seats x an extra $20 per ticket x 20 games.

A real rough estimate would be approximately $120,000.  That is approximately 300 seats x an extra $20 per ticket x 20 games.

That'd be what it is if they sold them as season tickets.  If they left them as single game tickets, you can roughly double it.  No clue what their plan is either way.

Edit: Actually looks like there is 412 seats in Section 310 (section from the students).  $165,000 at $20/game (season tickets) or around double that if sold as single game tickets.

Much of my frustration with Coach Jones comes from watching his teams the past 4 years.  I know that he had to work with the players he had, but the not boxing out, the 1 on 3 offense, the at times lazy, selfish play year after year was really frustrating to me.  I grew up watching the Gunther years, so this type of basketball drives me nuts - much more so that the won-lost record.  Starting with this year, I hope we see a different brand of basketball.

^^^This^^^

They haven't gotten any better at much of anything in his nine years.  Switching systems, .500 records, blah blah.  Still don't box out, really have no idea if they have an offense system or if they just scrapped the Princeton thing for a "pass once, set a ball screen and go one-on-one".

But, I fully realize that there isn't a coach in America who could possibly lead UND to better than a .500 record.  Absolutely nobody.  So many things working against them.    :silly:

Also, the next coach would get a significant pay increase, much like Schweigert did. 

First - everyone needs to take a chill pill on Jones. We are 6 games into a season with a young roster still learning to play together. Enjoy the process of watching a young team come together. Yes Texas Pan Am was bad and so was the 2nd half at Utah but this is a long season. So far other than that I have been impressed with this team considering the scoring we lost.

Second - if you expect 20 wins and NCAA or NIT every year you need to either donate more to the program or attend more games because we need more support for those things to happen more frequently. i encourage you to try that before checking box scores and calling for people's jobs. If you aren't part of the solution (support) you are part of the problem (calling for coaches jobs after a bad loss without attending any games or supporting the program). That does no good for a team 6 games into the season. If you attend games and support the program and are calling for peoples jobs i would ask how you think that helps this team get better?

I am not calling anyone out that is just my opinion.

Third- Does women's hockey seriously fly charter? I hope this is a joke.

This team is far from young. 5 seniors, 5 juniors, 2 sophomores and 5 freshman...

That'd be what it is if they sold them as season tickets.  If they left them as single game tickets, you can roughly double it.  No clue what their plan is either way.

Edit: Actually looks like there is 412 seats in Section 310 (section from the students).  $165,000 at $20/game (season tickets) or around double that if sold as single game tickets.

Probably 1.5 times season tickets for single game.  Current price is $37.50 plus Ticketmaster fees for those seats.  UND doesn't get much out of the Ticketmaster fees.  I believe that students were paying $7 per ticket for those seats.

You are missing the point. When NDSU (a peer institution by any measure) can go to the NCAA tournament twice since becoming playoff eligible (including in their first season of eligibility) and consistently beat and/or gives high-major programs a run for their money, it debunks a lot of the excuses that some in our fan base are making for the Men's program. UND and NDSU have some of the same problems to overcome (weather, geography, one-bid conference affiliation, ect), but only one of these schools is having success and we both know which one it is. While NDSU puts together signature wins and contends for the NCAA tournament, UND works hard to punch their ticket to the CIT. If you don't have a problem with that, that is your perrogative. I for one expect more.

100% correct.

Only difference between UND basketball and NDSU basketball, and even football teams, is the coaching and athletic departments; both of which have been superior for NDSU. NDSU's facilities are on par with UND's, but it's the effort put into the programs by NDSU that trumps that of UND.

412 seats x increase of $27.50 per ticket x 20 games would come to $226,600 potential increase in revenue if sold by single game.  Probably a little more than $180,000 if sold as season tickets.

You're actually incredibly close, I forgot that the Ticketmaster fees were that high and didn't take into account what the students pay.  As sad as it is, I actually had a breakdown of the cost of regular season tickets.  They vary depending on opponent, non-conference, Friday/Saturday, etc.  Total retail cost before fees (not counting playoff series) this year would have been $845 for 22 games, averaging out to a little over $38/game.

You're playing both sides. OOC has nothing to do with making the dance (though it does have an effect on seeding if they were to make it). Yet you say its the Dance or nothing. The only way UND will ever get to the Dance is to win the Big Sky tournament.

Wrong, if we're speaking hypotheticals here. Any club that wins OOC games against ranked teams (UND had/has chances this season against Utah and Minnesota) will be considered by the selection committee. If UND or any other clubs beat a bunch of OOC powerhouses, they would be considered despite the conference tournament outcome.

The past 2 years have been much underachieved in my eyes from the stands for the MBB teams. Yes they have been plagued with injuries, but with the talent the team has had with huff, webb, anderson, schuler, brekke, adding in nash and a couple not so talented bigs, they should have made the dance over a 3 man team weber st had last year.

Jones's overall inability to get his team to play a whole intense, team game has been something he lacks. He lacks motivating his players and whines from the sidelines. Yes maybe they don't run plays like he wants them too, but he's the coach. He needs to be the one making those changes and getting the most out of his team, and get them to play a better caliber of basketball. I for one am tired of the selfish ME game his players have been displaying the past few years. Maybe that's his style of play, but it will not last at the D1 level for long. D1 basketball is a full team effort to win games. Especially road games which we have been horrible at grinding out wins.

I will say that Jones has done a fairly good job at recruiting talented players to come up here to play, but he has not gotten the most out of said players during their time here. His players have lacked progress from their freshman years to their senior years. Hooker and Crandall may have the best possibility to prove me wrong if Jones ends up sticking it out. 

On a side note our facilities are far from horrible in comparison to some other BSC facilities including our foe to the south until they got their new renovation.

• Upvote 1