SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Montana State

siouxfan512

21 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I guess I have a different personality.  When I hear Bubba speak, I feel like I could run through a wall for him.  Give me a coach that not speaks with pride and passion every time over a guy the jumps up and down screaming.

Any way’s like said before this is where the other coaches and caption need to pick up the slack. 

Agreed,  I like a level headed coach - Bubba's a rock.  The Idaho State coach acts like you're talking about, Geaux, but they don't have the on field results either.

Edit:  The interviews are boring as hell though.  Loved listening to Montana State's coach this week.

Edit 2:  In regard to the slow starts, I think it's just the fact that our O-line isn't very good.  Pre game speeches don't do much IMO after the first play or two of the game, if that. 

11 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Agreed,  I like a level headed coach - Bubba's a rock.  The Idaho State coach acts like you're talking about, Geaux, but they don't have the on field results either.

Edit:  The interviews are boring as hell though.  Loved listening to Montana State's coach this week.

Edit 2:  In regard to the slow starts, I think it's just the fact that our O-line isn't very good.  Pre game speeches don't do much IMO after the first play or two of the game, if that. 

I may have to be more specific about my use of coach Berg as a motivator. He was never an over the top act like a clown kind of motivator. He was intense, to the point, and had a way to instill unmatched pride in his players about things as small as tucking in their jersey. And he did it without a single swear word. I know Bubba has that pride and passion in him but I just don't think he has that gift of gab like coach Berg.

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I may have to be more specific about my use of coach Berg as a motivator. He was never an over the top act like a clown kind of motivator. He was intense, to the point, and had a way to instill unmatched pride in his players about things as small as tucking in their jersey. And he did it without a single swear word. I know Bubba has that pride and passion in him but I just don't think he has that gift of gab like coach Berg.

Don't know Berg.  Guessing you're thinking something similar to Hakstol?  Not that he was a gabber, but the rest sounds similar.

Well that is pretty disappointing then, to me part of a coaches job is to get the players motivated and fired up!  You don't have to use swear words and yell and all of that.  Sure the assistant coaches can help but I view that as a prime responsibility of the head coach.  Could it be that at Duluth Bubba was able to recruit great players and coach them well, but just couldn't get them fired up enough to get over the top since the next coach took his players and won a championship?  Hopefully not.   I do agree that the pride Bubba oozes about this University is contagious and he can certainly use speeches like that to fire the players up without swearing etc..  The speech he gave about the new logo.....I thought that was great!

34 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Well that is pretty disappointing then, to me part of a coaches job is to get the players motivated and fired up!  You don't have to use swear words and yell and all of that.  Sure the assistant coaches can help but I view that as a prime responsibility of the head coach.  Could it be that at Duluth Bubba was able to recruit great players and coach them well, but just couldn't get them fired up enough to get over the top since the next coach took his players and won a championship?  Hopefully not.   I do agree that the pride Bubba oozes about this University is contagious and he can certainly use speeches like that to fire the players up without swearing etc..  The speech he gave about the new logo.....I thought that was great!

I don't think it has to be the head coach.  Stig down at SDSU isn't a real rah rah guy but his teams are always good. Like I said, there's no way to know for sure what the source of the flat starts is. 

3 hours ago, Big Green said:

I guess I have a different personality.  When I hear Bubba speak, I feel like I could run through a wall for him.  Give me a coach that not speaks with pride and passion every time over a guy the jumps up and down screaming.

Any way’s like said before this is where the other coaches and caption need to pick up the slack. 

Agreed.

Every player/person is different on what their "rah rah"speech or thing is but I've heard straight from the 3 horses mouths that bubba is contagious. I'm sure that there are some that maybe don't think so but like geaux said, it doesn't always have to be bubba or it could be a combination of coaches.  Either way, in bubba we trust!!

On offense, how fired up could you get when you know you will go out and run a series of 1 yard plunges.  The D should be fired up because they have the chance to go out there and inflict some damage.  The offense, not so much and part of that is the crap play calling that doesn't even give them much of a chance.

16 minutes ago, Irish said:

On offense, how fired up could you get when you know you will go out and run a series of 1 yard plunges.  The D should be fired up because they have the chance to go out there and inflict some damage.  The offense, not so much and part of that is the crap play calling that doesn't even give them much of a chance.

Wasn't the first offensive play a completed pass this last weekend?

Just listened to the podcast from Colter, and now I'm really pumped for Saturday. I also really liked the MSU coach, did a nice job speaking about UND and really seemed to know our team pretty well.

Also though he addressed the question over John Walker pretty well, considering it was a weird situation.

Looking forward to Saturday.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Irish said:

I thought OL love running the ball, they should be able to get pumped for that.....running the ball down their throat to make it 4 yard plunges instead of a 1 yard plunge.  4 Yard plunges work all day long, that's what they need to get to.  The line needs to get better, mean and nasty, and impose their will on the defense.  I say that with a grain of salt though, there does need to be a bit more variety and improvement on some of the play calling.....but just saying.....the OL should be able to get pumped up for running the ball right down their throat!

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2016 at 5:46 PM, Sioux94 said:

I'm sorry but if you don't get tingles running down your spine during the pregame, anthem etc. then you have no business playing at this level.  If you're waiting around for a rah rah speech to get you going you might as well be in the stands next to me.  This isn't high school, if you can't "flip the switch" when you step between the lines you simply don't belong.

• Upvote 1

I still question how fans think we should throw more on first when Studs has been very off early in the game and the pass pro hasn't been great early either.  Maybe run Studs a little more early but as I see it we have two big issues in the pass game right now.  QB play early in the game needs to be better and more consistent, and our WR speed is a problem.  Not that we don't have some good players but it helps dramatically to have one or several WR's that can scare the defense. 

Coaching is fluid in the sense that the fiery coaches have to be cautious of alienating players that are not accustomed to that style of coaching or upbringing. I loved a coach that was willing to fight you during the week at practice but was your biggest fan come game day. Tough love was motivation for me. I also feel players should be self motivated. If you are waiting for your coach to get the juice flowing, football is not your sport. Bubba is stoic and subdued but I know a fire burns within or he would not be a head coach. 

3 hours ago, SiouxDini said:

I'm sorry but if you don't get tingles running down your spine during the pregame, anthem etc. then you have no business playing at this level.  If you're waiting around for a rah rah speech to get you going you might as well be in the stands next to me.  This isn't high school, if you can't "flip the switch" when you step between the lines you simply don't belong.

So I guess coaches give pep talks before a game or at halftime 100% for show then?  I do get what you are saying, not every game is a championship game etc., and as a player you have to be self motivated and be able to get pumped up yourself  along with your teammates etc.. and a rah rah speech is not always needed, nor is yelling.  Tony Dungy was a pretty soft spoken guy....and great coach.  Bubba's speech about the logo I thought was great, it made me motivated to like the logo or be ok with it being on the helmet.

UND fans in or visiting Las Vegas:

Join us Saturday, September 24 at Buffalo Wild Wings, 4280 S. Hualapai in southwest Las Vegas to watch the game.  Montana State has a private room at BWW and UND fans are welcome to join us any time.

Game time is 1:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time.

Check out the Las Vegas MSU Bobcat Fans page on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/739602196119670/

MAP --> https://www.google.com/maps/dir//4280+S ... 15.3166207

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

I hear bubba has addressed the team regarding the racist nonsense occuring on campus this week. The players are focused and united under Bubba. That's leadership.

Glad he addressed it but did Bubba address the team on this topic in a "safe zone"?