SiouxSports.com Forum

A Reconfigured Athletic Department

The Sicatoka

A Reconfigured UND Athletic Department  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How many sports will the IAC recommend to eliminate?

2. 2. After Kennedy acts, how many sports will UND sponsor?

3. 3. If you had the power, how many sports would UND sponsor?

We know the IAC will recommend something to President Kennedy. 

What do you expect to be the outcome? What would you do? 

Background:

• UND previously had 21 DI athletic programs (before eliminating baseball and men's golf) 
  • UND currently has 19 DI athletic programs
  • M (8): BB, FB, H, ITF, OTF, CC,Tennis, S&D
  • W (11): BB, VB, Soc, Softball, H, ITF, OTF, CC, Golf, Tennis, S&D
  • Non-core BSC sports are: MH, WH, Soc, Soft, MS&D, WS&D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

MS&D, WS&D, and WH.  Those need to go.  16 Sports moving forward.

I like this plan, get rid of current and future money bleeders. And you keep a couple of Summit core sports in the portfolio, just in case (I'd personally prefer staying in the Sky).  

8 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

I like this plan, get rid of current and future money bleeders. And you keep a couple of Summit core sports in the portfolio, just in case (I'd personally prefer staying in the Sky).  

And by doing this, UND has every sport except hockey under one conference.  

• Upvote 1

Based on UND's less than proud tradition of doing what is right, I would lay about 100-1 odds against them actually eliminating Women's Hockey.  There are not many Universities in the country who are willing to pound 1.4 million a year down a sink-hole with no possibility of turning it around.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Based on UND's less than proud tradition of doing what is right, I would lay about 100-1 odds against them actually eliminating Women's Hockey.  There are not many Universities in the country who are willing to pound 1.4 million a year down a sink-hole with no possibility of turning it around.

There are hard dollars to be had here, seven figures worth. Here's a guy that's held finance and marketing positions at Fortune 1000 organizations. If it ever has a chance, this is it.  

• Upvote 2

Men's and women's S&D are obvious choices to cut. They are associate members of the WAC, produce no revenue, and eventually the Hyslop pool is going to need to be replaced. There has been some small talk of building a new pool/aquatics center attached to the Wellness Center. But there has never been much support for increasing student fees to pay for it. And there are plenty of other facility needs that would take priority when trying to fundraise that type of money. And once phase two of the HPC gets built, S&D will be the only sport still based out of the Hyslop. 

Softball also seems like an obvious choice. Hardly any fan support. No history of success. And they currently play in a rented facility that is a glorified beer league field. Softball just became a Big Sky sponsored sport but is not required. 

Soccer is very similar to softball. Hardly any fan support. No history of success. To call the grass in front of the bookstore a DI soccer facility is a joke. And it is currently ran out of the Betty. So eliminating it would open up a bit more space in the building for the basketball and volleyball programs. It is a Big Sky sponsored sport but also not required. 

As far as women's hockey goes, I want to see that sport kept. From an existing facilities, recruiting, fan interest, and potential to compete nationally standpoint it is a sport that makes sense at UND. Besides men's hockey and FCS football, this is the only other sport that UND has an opportunity to hang a national championship banner. Obviously the budget needs to be looked at for any potential savings (as do all other sports). The first thing I would tell the coaches is to quit trying to turn the team into a European All Star squad. But it is a sport that makes sense at this school. 

On a side note, I feel that volleyball could grow into a consistent top 15-25 ranked program in the nation. But it will still never win a national championship. 

On 8/26/2016 at 3:21 PM, Shawn-O said:

If Kennedy actually pulls the trigger on WH he will move up to #2 with a bullet on my all time presidents list based on that decision alone. 

Clifford is still king though!

• Upvote 1