SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Football TV Options

siouxfan512

I have brought up this issue with hockey in other threads, but I figured it was worth discussing on the football side. I know with hockey there are some restrictions on broadcasting games ... not sure if that is a midco thing or a CBS Sports thing, but hopefully UND can figure it out. NCHC TV is ok, but I miss the days of seeing all the home games on Fox College Sports. It was nice to not have to worry about buffering issues, or having to connect my pc to my tv.

As for football, I believe there are restrictions with the Big Sky broadcasting outside of Roots sports, which is especially ridiculous as many people in the midwest don't get Root Sports, and UND is rarely on there anywhere. Hopefully this is something Faison or the BSC is trying to negotiate. I would love to see UND get some more football games on Fox College Sports to get some national exposure. I know Bemidji gets a lot of their hockey games broadcast on TPT MN, which I believe is a public access channel. I'd be interested to know if UND could ever use that as an option to get a little more exposure in MN ... wouldn't hurt for recruiting or alumni engagement. Big Sky TV works well, but is never ideal for the reasons previously mentioned.

Hopefully this is something that UND is working on because accessibility to games and exposure would certainly be a great thing for the program.

Thoughts? Rumors? Anything?

Well the Big Sky is working with Root on a new contract right now, so there is hope they can fix the exclusivity problem.  I assume that our new commissioner from the Big Mistake will be a better negotiator than Fullerton.

9 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Well the Big Sky is working with Root on a new contract right now, so there is hope they can fix the exclusivity problem.  I assume that our new commissioner from the Big Mistake will be a better negotiator than Fullerton.

Would be great if that happened.

5 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I have brought up this issue with hockey in other threads, but I figured it was worth discussing on the football side. I know with hockey there are some restrictions on broadcasting games ... not sure if that is a midco thing or a CBS Sports thing, but hopefully UND can figure it out. NCHC TV is ok, but I miss the days of seeing all the home games on Fox College Sports. It was nice to not have to worry about buffering issues, or having to connect my pc to my tv.

As for football, I believe there are restrictions with the Big Sky broadcasting outside of Roots sports, which is especially ridiculous as many people in the midwest don't get Root Sports, and UND is rarely on there anywhere. Hopefully this is something Faison or the BSC is trying to negotiate. I would love to see UND get some more football games on Fox College Sports to get some national exposure. I know Bemidji gets a lot of their hockey games broadcast on TPT MN, which I believe is a public access channel. I'd be interested to know if UND could ever use that as an option to get a little more exposure in MN ... wouldn't hurt for recruiting or alumni engagement. Big Sky TV works well, but is never ideal for the reasons previously mentioned.

Hopefully this is something that UND is working on because accessibility to games and exposure would certainly be a great thing for the program.

Thoughts? Rumors? Anything?

Wasn't this cleared last season, when CBSS released the exclusivity clause for games they dont pick up?

27 minutes ago, NoDakFan said:

Wasn't this cleared last season, when CBSS released the exclusivity clause for games they dont pick up?

Not sure, there may have been a few games on FCS this past season (can't remember), but definitely not as many as their used to be. I'm not sure there was a game on tv in the cities the whole first half of the season. Could have had something to do with contract dates and when they could start broadcasting outside of CBS.

Hopeful that they can make progress for football too. Last season the Drake game was on FCS and it was much more enjoyable since you didn't have to worry about buffering issues.

1 hour ago, NoDakFan said:

It was actually adjusted after the first year of the NCHC.  However, Midco opted to not put games on FCS as they were trying to get people to switch from CableOne to Midco in Fargo.  I'm not sure if they'll allow it now but I believe they like to keep their product on their own network these days.  A bit disappointing and should be a reflection of the higher ups in Sioux Falls and not on any of the employees in the Grand Forks or Fargo offices.

I have been a DirecTV subscriber for 20+ years but am considering a move to Comcast (Xfinity).  I live in FL and realize the network availability may vary across the country but do any of you have Comcast and are you able to get the UND Sports that are broadcast on the Fox Sports Channels? 

1 minute ago, UND Fan said:

I have been a DirecTV subscriber for 20+ years but am considering a move to Comcast (Xfinity).  I live in FL and realize the network availability may vary across the country but do any of you have Comcast and are you able to get the UND Sports that are broadcast on the Fox Sports Channels? 

I have comcast xfinity and it's pretty much like directv where you add the sports pack as an extra. I think it is like $15 / month. With this I am also able to watch some random FCS games as well on other regional networks that feed to fox college sports.

20 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I'd go with Midco for sure.

43 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I have comcast xfinity and it's pretty much like directv where you add the sports pack as an extra. I think it is like $15 / month. With this I am also able to watch some random FCS games as well on other regional networks that feed to fox college sports.

So you can get Fox Sports North, Fox Sports Mountain, etc.?

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

You'll get everything possible with the sportspak on either directv or dish, except for Midco Sports Net which is on midco cable and a few other ND area cable systems. Although it's very few games (hockey), you'll need to make sure your satellite tv package includes cbssports (top 200 on dish), or your  comcast package if you go cable.

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

Does anyone have experience with midco cable and tv everywhere thru them? I'm curious if midco sn can be viewed online live. There's nothing on there now maybe because there's no live events now?? 

I know we've had live hockey games streamed on tv everywhere,  but don't log in much.  I thought it streamed whatever is on when I tried it last.. 

1 hour ago, sprig said:

I know we've had live hockey games streamed on tv everywhere,  but don't log in much.  I thought it streamed whatever is on when I tried it last.. 

It was through nchc.tv, a pay subscription.  BigSkyTV carries all UND games on they network for free.

29 minutes ago, southpaw said:

It was through nchc.tv, a pay subscription.  BigSkyTV carries all UND games on they network for free.

Not what redneck was asking about, nor what I was answering. It was midco's tv everywhere which is a stream of anything that's on any midco station that is part of your subscription when you're away from home.l

4 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

Does anyone have experience with midco cable and tv everywhere thru them? I'm curious if midco sn can be viewed online live. There's nothing on there now maybe because there's no live events now?? 

Just logged in to midco tv everywhere, and it doesn't appear I can watch anything that's live. I can watch the current event on midco sn (SD HS all star game), but it's an archived stream that was shown live on July 9. I think the UND hockey games will be available to stream as they occur, as well as other UND football, BB, and VB that they show. Until I can log on and check when one is on, I won't know for sure. The midco tv eveywhere site is confusing as hell, and very hard to navigate around (unlike the dish live streams, which are super simple). I can't watch everything in my cable package that's on right now.

On August 3, 2016 at 9:09 PM, sprig said:

Just logged in to midco tv everywhere, and it doesn't appear I can watch anything that's live. I can watch the current event on midco sn (SD HS all star game), but it's an archived stream that was shown live on July 9. I think the UND hockey games will be available to stream as they occur, as well as other UND football, BB, and VB that they show. Until I can log on and check when one is on, I won't know for sure. The midco tv eveywhere site is confusing as hell, and very hard to navigate around (unlike the dish live streams, which are super simple). I can't watch everything in my cable package that's on right now.

Thanks sprig I'd agree their site is confusing with midco sn thru tv everywhere. Too bad it's not just like the other tv everywhere channels that are quite simple. We'll know soon enough if they will put und sports up there though!

• 3 weeks later...