SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-2019 Recruiting

UND Fan

Jeff Kolpack article in Forum looks like all mid-major programs are in for quite a shake up if the NCAA changes the rule on sitting out for the next year in college sports. We could see where teams will become the feeder program for the top major program conferences very unlikely that mid majors will keep a player more than two years if they are star quality talent. If this occurs they may have to start subdivision in division 1 basketball and other sports as well. We could see where there is only top 75 to 100 schools for division 1 and we will have division between division 1 and 2.How all this shakes out is going to be interesting what it will mean for college sports and how revenue shakes out with these changes. I could see where colleges change how players and schools may get to compensation contract where if school provides enough incentives the player signs a contract to play for so many years where both sides are bound to this contract. I think the days where schools and coaches had all the power where player had to perform or were cut without any compensation is long gone. The transition between where we are now and getting to compensation package is going to take some time and is going to require more from coaching and administrations to sign and retain players. Also I believe the one done athlete may be to the end to where they will just let these players go to NBA and college will be signing players that will need to play college basketball for number of years before they go on to the NBA or professional basketball or just get an education. I believe we are entering where college athletes are going to be compensated while they are playing for colleges at least in upper divisions. The days where colleges created  revenue streams off these athletes with very little compensation is coming to an end and probably should have happen some time ago. All this is going to change structure of  college sports and how everyone connected is compensated in the future. Athletes are going to be getting bigger pot of pie, schools less, and I believe also coaches too where multi million dollar contracts could also disappear. Also how schools structure themselves who they play will probably will be in play also. These are just my thoughts on this but I do think the times are really changing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/18/2018 at 5:56 PM, ND-fan said:

Jeff Kolpack article in Forum looks like all mid-major programs are in for quite a shake up if the NCAA changes the rule on sitting out for the next year in college sports. We could see where teams will become the feeder program for the top major program conferences very unlikely that mid majors will keep a player more than two years if they are star quality talent. If this occurs they may have to start subdivision in division 1 basketball and other sports as well. We could see where there is only top 75 to 100 schools for division 1 and we will have division between division 1 and 2.How all this shakes out is going to be interesting what it will mean for college sports and how revenue shakes out with these changes. I could see where colleges change how players and schools may get to compensation contract where if school provides enough incentives the player signs a contract to play for so many years where both sides are bound to this contract. I think the days where schools and coaches had all the power where player had to perform or were cut without any compensation is long gone. The transition between where we are now and getting to compensation package is going to take some time and is going to require more from coaching and administrations to sign and retain players. Also I believe the one done athlete may be to the end to where they will just let these players go to NBA and college will be signing players that will need to play college basketball for number of years before they go on to the NBA or professional basketball or just get an education. I believe we are entering where college athletes are going to be compensated while they are playing for colleges at least in upper divisions. The days where colleges created  revenue streams off these athletes with very little compensation is coming to an end and probably should have happen some time ago. All this is going to change structure of  college sports and how everyone connected is compensated in the future. Athletes are going to be getting bigger pot of pie, schools less, and I believe also coaches too where multi million dollar contracts could also disappear. Also how schools structure themselves who they play will probably will be in play also. These are just my thoughts on this but I do think the times are really changing.

This sounds more and more like an employer - employee relationship.

• 5 weeks later...

pA busy day - along with Wilson and Barisic, there were two other offers:

PF Wilson - 6'7", 210, a graduate of Hoover HS in IA, he started all 30 games and averaged 14 & 6 as a freshman at Kirkwood CC.  Shot 69% from the field (outstanding) and 46% from the line (not outstanding!).  Has offer from SDSU.

PF Barisic - 6'9", from Croatia.  Played his freshman year at Highland CC in IL.  Unable to find any stats.  Has offers from NIU, WIU, Jacksonville St, UTSA, SF Austin & UNC-Ashville.

SG Nicolas Elame - 6'3", 185 from France.  Playing at Villa Vista Prep in AZ.  It appears he averaged about 15 points last year.  Has offers from SUU,  UTEP, Fresno St & UCSB.

PF Tim Adetukasi, 6'6", 220, from the UK.  Played for a HS in CA last year.  It appears he will play at Greenwood Christian Academy in IN this year.  No known offers.

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Always thought that a major foreign presence was needed for mbb, but it seems the elder fan base is rebelling.

I am probably one of those "elders" and I am not rebelling.  However, I hope we don't go overboard with too many.  We don't want the reputation of being an "international BB school".  Others have gotten that reputation and it has made it harder to recruit HS kids.  

As others have pointed out, we need to figure how to recruit MN kids.  Having no MN players on scholarship is unbelievable!  I am not going to do the research but I bet that has never happened before.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I am probably one of those "elders" and I am not rebelling.  However, I hope we don't go overboard with too many.  We don't want the reputation of being an "international BB school".  Others have gotten that reputation and it has made it harder to recruit HS kids.  

As others have pointed out, we need to figure how to recruit MN kids.  Having no MN players on scholarship is unbelievable!  I am not going to do the research but I bet that has never happened before.

Recruit MN? Preposterous! I mean Crandall and Hooker were ok I guess. But MN, seriously? (Please note the sarcasm)

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Recruit MN? Preposterous! I mean Crandall and Hooker were ok I guess. But MN, seriously? (Please note the sarcasm)

I mean its not like they have a former player running one of the better programs in the state that Jones couldn't reach out to...…..

On 4/18/2018 at 5:56 PM, ND-fan said:

I guess if you can't beat the mid-majors in the NCAA tournament, rig the system against them. Why don't they just create an "FCS" for basketball and be done with it? SMH

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I guess if you can't beat the mid-majors in the NCAA tournament, rig the system against them. Why don't they just create an "FCS" for basketball and be done with it? SMH

Because they don't want to kill the golden goose which is March Madness.  And why would the mid-majors accept that when they know they get this kind of impact when they pull upsets.  This right here is why UND, as much as I love the FB program, needs to emphasize basketball more.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/publicity-umbcs-upset-generated-worth-staggering-amount-money-054324907.html

The NCAA will never admit it, but they love when the upset happens. 

I'm not ready to say this is a negative because this is a 2 way street. Imagine the year that UND went to the NCAAs, and with Marlon involved, wouldn't that have been a better team?  Imagine Nash playing right away with Huff and company?  Maybe they get to the dance a few years early?  Mid-majors will be fine, they will adapt and find a way around and beat the system. 

The one-and-done rule didn't kill the mid-majors, this won't either.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Because they don't want to kill the golden goose which is March Madness.  And why would the mid-majors accept that when they know they get this kind of impact when they pull upsets.  This right here is why UND, as much as I love the FB program, needs to emphasize basketball more.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/publicity-umbcs-upset-generated-worth-staggering-amount-money-054324907.html

I'm not ready to say this is a negative because this is a 2 way street. Imagine the year that UND went to the NCAAs, and with Marlon involved, wouldn't that have been a better team?  Imagine Nash playing right away with Huff and company?  Maybe they get to the dance a few years early?  Mid-majors will be fine, they will adapt and find a way around and beat the system. 

Butt would Huff have stayed?

28 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I was being sarcastic about the "FCS" for basketball. I hope you are right.