SiouxSports.com Forum

How come no names on jerseys?

Fetch

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Brian Labat from Detroit Lakes, Minn.

I believe that was on the first play of the game against N. Colorado. I've watched that games highlight film a ton this offseason. Knipp threw 2 or three interceptions that game. Santiago also racked up the rushing yards. 

Is it football season yet?

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I believe that was on the first play of the game against N. Colorado. I've watched that games highlight film a ton this offseason. Knipp threw 2 or three interceptions that game. Santiago also racked up the rushing yards. 

Is it football season yet?

Ha ha!  I totally agree!   Not to nitpick but I have been watching a lot of the UND FB archived games on Eversport this summer, and it was actually the second play from scrimmage. The first was a roll out pass to a slot receiver for minimal gain. Reyes totally blew up that first play. The next play was the perfect pass to Labat.:D

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Personalized jerseys cost money and limits the ability to slap a jersey on a freshly burned Red shirt player. But beyond tradition, it's all about saving $

I wanna get in on this.......which would take money away from hockey hockey hockey! Go Hawkeye!

I have always said I would like to see names on the backs of jerseys.  Makes it easier for the casual fans to identify with players.

If I had a nickel for every time a neighboring fan asked me "which one is Santiago/Hardin/Rattell/Treanbeth/Anderson/Grossman/Hendrickson/Dressler/etc...." I'd be a wealthy guy.

At the very least I think the road unis should have the player names on the back......

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I have always said I would like to see names on the backs of jerseys.  Makes it easier for the casual fans to identify with players.

If I had a nickel for every time a neighboring fan asked me "which one is Santiago/Hardin/Rattell/Treanbeth/Anderson/Grossman/Hendrickson/Dressler/etc...." I'd be a wealthy guy.

At the very least I think the road unis should have the player names on the back......

They both (home and road) should. Don't understand why only the road games should feature names....

11 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Very much so. I can't imagine hockey without the names on the back and with football having a lot more players..

I still feel that not having the name on the back makes a statement of "playing for a team, not for the individual".  Shows some humility and maybe a bit of Lone Ranger attitude . . . "who was that guy that just knocked me out of my socks?"  I could see this as being part of Bubba's style.

Programs.  Just get a program with the roster listing and you'll be ok.

My favorite uni is still the all-green look . . . pants, helmet, jersey . . . that was pretty tough looking.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

I still feel that not having the name on the back makes a statement of "playing for a team, not for the individual".  Shows some humility and maybe a bit of Lone Ranger attitude . . . "who was that guy that just knocked me out of my socks?"  I could see this as being part of Bubba's style.

Programs.  Just get a program with the roster listing and you'll be ok.

My favorite uni is still the all-green look . . . pants, helmet, jersey . . . that was pretty tough looking.

Agree with all of this and will add that a football field is a lot bigger than a hockey arena.  Not sure how easy it would be to read the names off the back of the jerseys all that often.  I use a program or even the UND app with the roster pulled up on my phone if I need to know who a player is.  

No as a follow-up comment. We can afford to put names on the back of youth football jerseys. Make the kids pay for their own or parents. No cost to school. I'm sure it would boost morale and pride even more to have their family name on back of the jerseys. I never equate that to bring less of a team first guy.