SiouxSports.com Forum

No Apparel Deal

UND-FB-FAN

As college athletic programs across the country begin to establish apparel deals with top companies - namely Adidas, Nike, and Under Armour - I can't help but notice the departmental inconsistency that currently exists within UND Athletics. This needs to be fixed in my opinion. 

UND hockey dons Reebok, which is owned by Adidas, the company that every other program at UND wears with one exception - men's basketball. The benefits of a department-wide deal versus just a program deal are well-established; because of the modern nature of college athletics, recruits [really] care about these things. Local programs with deals include NDSU with Nike, South Dakota State with Under Armour, and South Dakota with Adidas. There are also several programs within the Big Sky Conference, such as Montana State with Under Armour and Eastern Washington with Adidas. Brian Faison needs to get a deal done; right now, the current state of apparel within UND athletics suggests a lack of focus on sports other than hockey - particularly since hockey has its situation figured out with Reebok. For the record, UND men's basketball wears Nike. 

Bubba and his staff made one of the "largest little changes" by establishing an Adidas identity. Now, its time UND men's basketball do the same. 

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

As college athletic programs across the country begin to establish apparel deals with top companies - namely Adidas, Nike, and Under Armour - I can't help but the notice the departmental inconsistency that currently exists within UND Athletics. This needs to be fixed in my opinion. 

UND hockey dons Reebok, which is owned by Adidas, the company that every other program at UND wears with one exception - men's basketball. The benefits of a department-wide deal versus just a program deal are well-established; because of the modern nature of college athletics, recruits [really] care about these things. Local programs with deals include NDSU with Nike, South Dakota State with Under Armour, and South Dakota with Adidas. There are also several programs within the Big Sky Conference, such as Montana State with Under Armour and Eastern Washington with Adidas. Brian Faison needs to get a deal done; right now, the current state of apparel within UND athletics suggests a lack of focus on sports other than hockey - particularily since hockey has its situation figured out with Reebok.

Bubba and his staff made one of the "largest little changes" by establishing an Adidas identity. Now, its time UND men's basketball do the same. 

It's not lack of focus on other sports, it's that men's basketball doesn't want to join the rest of the athletic department and wear adidas.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, cberkas said:

It's not lack of focus on other sports, it's that men's basketball doesn't want to join the rest of the athletic department and wear adidas.

My point exactly (why it's posted in the men's basketball thread). This needs to change. No reason UND can't have a department-wide deal that offers great variety of uniforms, footwear, apparel and equipment to ALL student-athletes, especially with the considerable pull UND hockey provides with Reebok and national exposure/promotion capability.

Frankly, if any of UND's prospective BB recruits don't want to come to UND because of it being an "Adidas" school, they need to get a frickin' clue.  If UND is recruiting and are a viable option for you, the last thing you should be worried about is their shoe brand.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Frankly, if any of UND's prospective BB recruits don't want to come to UND because of it being an "Adidas" school, they need to get a frickin' clue.  If UND is recruiting and are a viable option for you, the last thing you should be worried about is their shoe brand.  

I think you may be missing the point, if we are adversely affected financially by one team "holding out", that is a very bad thing for UND athletic department's budget! 

3 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I think you may be missing the point, if we are adversely affected financially by one team "holding out", that is a very bad thing for UND athletic department's budget! 

I get the point.  I was getting in front of the inevitable response from the basketball supporters.  

4 minutes ago, cberkas said:

It the players don't want to wear the "free" adidas shoes they get (I'm assuming they're free), the players can use the stipend they get and buy whatever shoes they want. They have been doing that before they got to college.

If there's a deal in place with a brand, no other brands can be work for any sort of clothing whatsoever.  So once they sign that deal, it is exclusively Adidas for any sort of clothing they wear to any function related to their sport.

If UND signs a deal with Adidas to be the exclusive provider for apparel, then that is the way its gonna be.  If the basketball team doesn't like it, who cares.  Is a player going to quit the team, give up their scholarship, and give up there stipend just because they don't like Adidas shoes?  I highly doubt it.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Player21 said:

If there's a deal in place with a brand, no other brands can be work for any sort of clothing whatsoever.  So once they sign that deal, it is exclusively Adidas for any sort of clothing they wear to any function related to their sport.

Then Fasion should walk into Jones' office and tell him this is how it is. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Is a player going to quit the team, give up their scholarship, and give up there stipend just because they don't like Adidas shoes?

If they lose recruits because of that so be it.  It's actually a good way to filter out the petty-minded.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

It's not an "Adidas" issue, it's a "lack of agreement/consistency" issue. UND is not utilizing the opportunity to provide better uniforms, equipment, apparel, etc. to student-athletes by producing a department-wide apparel deal with Adidas. Rather, there are only inconsistent, program-type deals. 

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Then Fasion should walk into Jones' office and tell him this is how it is. 

Or he could have walked into Hakstol's office and said "I know you guys are happy with Reebok but sorry their parent company Addidas is brutal so would you prefer Nike or Under Armour?"

18 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Or he could have walked into Hakstol's office and said "I know you guys are happy with Reebok but sorry their parent company Addidas is brutal so would you prefer Nike or Under Armour?"

Adidas owns CCM (skates) and Reebok (hockey gear). 

Do Nike or UA have hockey gear or skates? 

"Department wide" means covering all needs and all accepting the outcome. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It's not an "Adidas" issue, it's a "lack of agreement/consistency" issue. UND is not utilizing the opportunity to provide better uniforms, equipment, apparel, etc. to student-athletes by producing a department-wide apparel deal with Adidas. Rather, there are only inconsistent, program-type deals. 

Nike doesn't own Bauer anymore.

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Adidas owns CCM, Reebok, Koho, Jofa, and Heaton the last time I looked.

It looks like everything is being branded CCM by Adidas.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

They aren't all wearing CCM skates anyway. There's such a variance between skate boots, no one in their right mind would ever force a person to wear a certain brand. I remember basketball shoes varying quite a bit. Each foot is unique, and a different brand works better than others, even though you can bake the skates to fit your foot. It's still different.

• Upvote 1