SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the Merchandise

burronation

I can't imagine how much interlocking ND stuff that the Sioux Shop and other stores have.  Can't blame them for trying to sell it and get rid of it before that logo is officially retired.  Obviously it appeals to people who don't like the Fighting Hawks logo.  Much like the Sioux merchandise, people will stock up on interlocking ND merchandise.  But eventually, all you will be able to buy will be Fighting Hawk merchandise.  We will see both the Sioux logo and the interlocking ND logo for many years to come.  However, it is noce to see more and more Fighting Hawks merchandise out there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I can't imagine how much interlocking ND stuff that the Sioux Shop and other stores have.  Can't blame them for trying to sell it and get rid of it before that logo is officially retired.  Obviously it appeals to people who don't like the Fighting Hawks logo.  Much like the Sioux merchandise, people will stock up on interlocking ND merchandise.  But eventually, all you will be able to buy will be Fighting Hawk merchandise.  We will see both the Sioux logo and the interlocking ND logo for many years to come.  However, it is noce to see more and more Fighting Hawks merchandise out there.

Its getting lower and lower. I am seeing Fighting Hawks gear in stores like Target where it was just the interlocking ND. The Fighting Hawks logo is selling more merchandise besides clothing at the Fargo Scheels store like keychains, flags, legos. I am sure the Siouxshop will continue to sell the interlocking ND until its all been replaced by the Fighting Hawks gear. Wait until the new hockey jerseys come out, you will see more of that and less and less of the interlocking ND in their shop.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Keeping the interlocking ND doesn't have consequences remotely comparable with keeping the Sioux logo.

My point was because sales of the Fighting Hawks gear isn't comparable to the interlocking ND logo among hockey fans, they aren't going to keep it around. The interlocking ND isn't the logo of the school anymore. Its the Fighting Hawk logo. Its all over media, its on uniforms (except hockey until next season), its the brand of the school. 

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

My point was because sales of the Fighting Hawks gear isn't comparable to the interlocking ND logo among hockey fans, they aren't going to keep it around. The interlocking ND isn't the logo of the school anymore. Its the Fighting Hawk logo. Its all over media, its on uniforms (except hockey until next season), its the brand of the school. 

From a business standpoint in tight economic times, UND may just have to sell the people what they want.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

From a business standpoint in tight economic times, UND may just have to sell the people what they want.

UND should sell only Fighting Hawks gear. Bring out very little Sioux stuff to keep the trademark but 99% of stuff in the Sioux store should be Fighting Hawks merchandise.

• Downvote 4

Once they quit making the interlocking logo the apparel items that will sell the most will be items with just UND or University of North Dakota on them or sport specific items like North Dakota Basketball or North Dakota football and so on. Fighting Hawks items will continue to be giveaway items and loss leaders for quite awhile.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

umm. no, no it's not.

You have to be more specific. Are we talking about visibility at retail? Visibility in the stands? Hard sales figures?

A lack of enthusiasm among a fan base is a nice anecdote, but there are indeed objective indicia that the new logo is indeed 'taking off.' Whether you want it to is a different question.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 2017. 3. 11. at 2:34 AM, darell1976 said:

Ever hear of the school from South Bend?

It might be an issue except we don't really see them that often, the only sport we will occasionally see them in is Hockey, and now potentially basketball (knock on wood). While I agree that it would pose a problem if UND starts to gain more national promanence and even then, I don't see the Interlocking ND logo becoming a big issue really unless UND moves to BCS, which I doubt will be happening anytime soon. For people who don't like Postal the Fightin Hawk, the interlocking logo is somthing they can still buy and feel good about wearing, and if people want it then why wouldn't they sell it.

36 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

It might be an issue except we don't really see them that often, the only sport we will occasionally see them in is Hockey, and now potentially basketball (knock on wood). While I agree that it would pose a problem if UND starts to gain more national promanence and even then, I don't see the Interlocking ND logo becoming a big issue really unless UND moves to BCS B1G, which I doubt will be happening anytime soon. For people who don't like Postal the Fightin Hawk, the interlocking logo is somthing they can still buy and feel good about wearing, and if people want it then why wouldn't they sell it.

FYP,

I like you (knock on wood), if we knock on the wood, we could be in the B1Ghc (like Notre Dame) sooner than later.

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

It might be an issue except we don't really see them that often, the only sport we will occasionally see them in is Hockey, and now potentially basketball (knock on wood). While I agree that it would pose a problem if UND starts to gain more national promanence and even then, I don't see the Interlocking ND logo becoming a big issue really unless UND moves to BCS, which I doubt will be happening anytime soon. For people who don't like Postal the Fightin Hawk, the interlocking logo is somthing they can still buy and feel good about wearing, and if people want it then why wouldn't they sell it.

Its not the logo of the school, the Fighting Hawk is the logo of the school. I feel good about wearing the Hawk logo and many more are too. Wait til the hockey jerseys come out. I hope it has a big huge Hawk on the front and little Hawks on the shoulders. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

FYP,

I like you (knock on wood), if we knock on the wood, we could be in the B1Ghc (like Notre Dame) sooner than later.

Are your forgeting the 2 million dollar buy out to get out of the NCHC, and that fact we would get $0 in revenue from the B1G network. Also we would be trading UMD, DU, SCSU, Western, and Maimi for a mostly crap leauge. And the Knock on wood part was because Notre Dame is in the NCAA basketbal tourny,but the only way we would see them is if we make it to the final four. So knock on wood

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Its not the logo of the school, the Fighting Hawk is the logo of the school. I feel good about wearing the Hawk logo and many more are too. Wait til the hockey jerseys come out. I hope it has a big huge Hawk on the front and little Hawks on the shoulders. 

I doubt it... I would bet it looks mostly the same as the current jeresy with Postal the PC Hawk on on the shoulder patches where the current interlocking ND logo is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2017. 3. 11. at 5:47 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You have to be more specific. Are we talking about visibility at retail? Visibility in the stands? Hard sales figures?

A lack of enthusiasm among a fan base is a nice anecdote, but there are indeed objective indicia that the new logo is indeed 'taking off.' Whether you want it to is a different question.

its also a matter of what your comparing it too. I don't think anyone is disputing that this isn't selling anywhere near as well as the old fighting sioux logo, but I don't think they expected it ever would.

1 minute ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Are your forgeting the 2 million dollar buy out to get out of the NCHC, and that fact we would get $0 in revenue from the B1G network. Also we would be trading UMD, DU, SCSU, Western, and Maimi for a mostly crap leauge. And the Knock on wood part was because Notre Dame is in the NCAA basketbal tourny,but the only way we would see them is if we make it to the final four. So knock on wood

The "knock on wood" was your part, and i understand the very slim chance of us meeting Notre Dame in the DANCE. Our chances of getting in the B1Ghc are better.  NCHC bailout is just over $1M, GOBC and alumni working on that and more $ with these athletic financial challenges. AD & Pres. working on negotiations with the B1G, it's taking a while so might not pan out, word on the curb in GF.  There's 14 presidents in this ball game plus our 1.

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The "knock on wood" was your part, and i understand the very slim chance of us meeting Notre Dame in the DANCE. Our chances of getting in the B1Ghc are better.  NCHC bailout is just over $1M, GOBC and alumni working on that and more $ with these athletic financial challenges. AD & Pres. working on negotiations with the B1G, it's taking a while so might not pan out, word on the curb in GF.  There's 14 presidents in this ball game plus our 1.

But what would be the point of joining the BG10 hockey as an affiliate, there is no advantage in terms of revenue or network coverage, notre dame is getting $0 from BTN as an Afflilate.as far as travel goes we wouldn't be gaining anything there. As stated previously in other threads there is no real advantage for UND to join the B1G hc, the only thing that would make it worth it would be full conferance membership, which they would never do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

But what would be the point of joining the BG10 hockey as an affiliate, there is no advantage in terms of revenue or network coverage, notre dame is getting $0 from BTN as an Afflilate.as far as travel goes we wouldn't be gaining anything there. As stated previously in other threads there is no real advantage for UND to join the B1G hc, the only thing that would make it worth it would be full conferance membership, which they would never do.

Who said the BTN isn't part of the negotiations. We have a ton of hockey fans/alumni to the east of GF that would watch the BTN more faithfully. Hockey fans in the B1G would draw a little better when UND played their school, at least we argue that.

Who said we don't want some security of staying in the conference, and other things??

This is different that the Notre Dame or John Hopkins deal, again it sounds like they asked us, not that we went and asked them.

My last comment in this thread, need to move it to the Hockey thread.

Grand Forks Scheels employees told me this weekend that they aren't allowed to order anymore interlocking ND logo merchandise. 

I realize that there is a possibility of Scheels saying this to try to scare people into buying the interlocking nd merchandise right now if they were considering it, but I asked to get an interlocking ND jersey in a size that they didn't have in stock, and they said they won't be getting anymore of them in.  I wanted large if you were curious:P

and to answer Siouxperfan7, the Bismarck Scheels had Big Sky Regular Season Conference Championship shirts when I went there a few days after they won it.  So they might have added a conference tournament shirt too.

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux08 said:

Grand Forks Scheels employees told me this weekend that they aren't allowed to order anymore interlocking ND logo merchandise. 

I realize that there is a possibility of Scheels saying this to try to scare people into buying the interlocking nd merchandise right now if they were considering it, but I asked to get an interlocking ND jersey in a size that they didn't have in stock, and they said they won't be getting anymore of them in.  I wanted large if you were curious:P

and to answer Siouxperfan7, the Bismarck Scheels had Big Sky Regular Season Conference Championship shirts when I went there a few days after they won it.  So they might have added a conference tournament shirt too.

I really doubt that your everyday employee at Scheel's is pushing a false narrative to sell interlocking ND merchandise, seems a bit far-fetched.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux08 said:

Well ... yeah. The interlocked is being retired. That's been known for a while. At some point new orders will be stopped. And ... 

In heaven, I said that and gave proof that's not the case because I was expecting to hear that argument from people on here

Sic it has been known for a while that it's being retired but as far as I know I am the first person on this site to say that the merchandise has been retired/no longer produced NOW