SiouxSports.com Forum

Daaaa (UNC) Bears

geaux_sioux

We need a heavy of hogs push, Santiago and Oliveira rushing for a couple TD's, and Clive blowing the top off for a couple TD's.  then about 3 interceptions along with an area 51 shutdown.

Sounds like you've got a nice little Saurday planned, maybe go to Home Depot. Not sure we're gonna have enough tiiime.

I am very excited to watch meaningful football in November this saturday. For us, playoffs start Saturday. I am also very proud of these seniors who gutted it out through some trying times in their careers. I truly hope we can look back and say this is the class that steered the ship back to relevancy. 

Go Sioux! errr roughriders or hawks. Whatever go UND!

• Upvote 2

I think we can run on these guys. Their WR worry me though.

Not only will we run on them, but I think Clive will haul in a deep one. We definitely need to defend their passing game by getting to the QB early, allow too many deep shots and eventually they will start connecting. Sioux win, and head out to Cal Poly completely amped up.

This may be the last opportunity to see some seniors that sacrificed everything and stuck with UND  through trials and tribulations. Ratelle Anderson Meehan Adler Idowu James Butler Olson Woodsmall. All of these guys deserve respect for making it through during as difficult a time as possible for a college football player. All of these guys clearly bleed green.

Unbelievably tough to come out each day and put your heart and soul into the game with the chaos of the last few years. A lot of other team members left and these seniors stayed on and played at a very high level. A group of STELLAR men!

• Upvote 3

Just looking through the conference stats, these two teams are very evenly matched.  Pretty much middle of the pack for both squads up and down the stat book.  One advantage for us that I see is our running game against their rush defense.  If we can establish the run again this week, it should provide a few opportunities for Studsrud to make a few big completions in play action. 

Where I see a big advantage for UNC over us, aside from special teams, is in turnover margin.  They are +2 on the season while UND is -7.  We lead the league in fumbles, and they are 2nd in the league at forcing them.  Not a good recipe.

I expect another nail-biter.  Same as every game in the Alerus lately. 

Are they going to have some sort of priority seating for the hockey game for students that go to the football game?  I know they have done that in the past on double-header days and it has helped with student turnout.

I 2nd that, great look!  Hope to see a dismantling of the bears this weekend.  

Yes, lets finally put a team away early and keep it that way. I'd really like to see one game that isn't really close. Win and building some momentum into next weekend. Just like our hockey team has done so many times, this is the time of the year to really gel and get hot .... (Hopefully) going into the playoffs. Remember how well our team gelled the last two games of last season.

Now the realistic side of me is going to say, "Let's just win this weekend". Clearly that is all that matters right now.

Though, the side of me that is so incredibly bored of having to wait for Saturday's kickoff is going to look way ahead (Don't get crazy on me, its just for fun speculation). Let say we win out, lets say we make the playoffs. Izzo has us playing UNI, which could be fun. They would be a solid team, but when the playoffs start, it is a 1 week season for everyone. Anyone remember the last time we played UNI? If I remember right, it was 2006 when we were a D2 school and came out of Cedar Falls with the W. When UND is playing solid D, and is healthy, I think we can compete with most.

Now for the fun part, in the projected playoff bracket from 11/8, the winner of the UND/UNI game would move on to the Fargo Dome. How fun would that be! A playoff game against the in state rival, with an opportunity for revenge. Now I would never be so ignorant to say we win that, but I guarantee we play a more competitive game that the first time around. We actually run the ball. We actually past the ball. 

This is a complete pipe dream, and a lot of things would have to work out perfectly for this to ever happen, BUT I would love to be tailgating in Fargo for such a game in December (and hey, this is a fan forum, we can talk about crazy stuff here). Now, lets just win Saturday! :)

Edited by siouxfan512
  • Upvote 3

Just looking through the conference stats, these two teams are very evenly matched.  Pretty much middle of the pack for both squads up and down the stat book.  One advantage for us that I see is our running game against their rush defense.  If we can establish the run again this week, it should provide a few opportunities for Studsrud to make a few big completions in play action. 

Where I see a big advantage for UNC over us, aside from special teams, is in turnover margin.  They are +2 on the season while UND is -7.  We lead the league in fumbles, and they are 2nd in the league at forcing them.  Not a good recipe.

I expect another nail-biter.  Same as every game in the Alerus lately. 

Are they going to have some sort of priority seating for the hockey game for students that go to the football game?  I know they have done that in the past on double-header days and it has helped with student turnout.

To your last two points:

I also expect a nail-biter, but I am hoping for a UND blow out win. Bubba has yet to get one this year, and last season, UND's only blowout win was against UNC. Bubba and UND need to show their level of concentration and capability this weekend and get a comfortable win for once. UNC has not played well on the road; their last game on the road was also in a dome - against NAU; they got crushed 63-21. 

As for the second point, UND needs to do whatever they can to motivate students into supporting UND football, especially with how big this game is for the season. If UND athletics truthfully cares about UND football's potential first playoff berth (although I have my doubts with all the puckheads), they will rally behind the team and support the squad. 

• Upvote 1

I think it would be easy to say the key for UND is going to be good secondary play.

Though given that our team has fumbled more times than I ever though possible, I'm going to say the real key to winning this game for UND is ball security. Hold onto the ball, and we shouldn't have too many issues. 

Bubba ball, especially this early in the change over of coaching philosophies as well as many other circumstances make it tough to blow out any one. They are not a quick strike offense and that's by plan.   Burn the clock!

As much as I would love to see a good ol ass kicking, I'm just as happy with wins.  Once established tho, Bubba ball will make it's mark on the big sky and we'll start to see more point spreads.  He has this going in the right direction!  Let's start with  putting the bears to sleep for the winter 

• Upvote 2

To your last two points:

I also expect a nail-biter, but I am hoping for a UND blow out win. Bubba has yet to get one this year, and last season, UND's only blowout win was against UNC. Bubba and UND need to show their level of concentration and capability this weekend and get a comfortable win for once. UNC has not played well on the road; their last game on the road was also in a dome - against NAU; they got crushed 63-21. 

As for the second point, UND needs to do whatever they can to motivate students into supporting UND football, especially with how big this game is for the season. If UND athletics truthfully cares about UND football's potential first playoff berth (although I have my doubts with all the puckheads), they will rally behind the team and support the squad. 

We've had a few blow-outs this year - then the fourth quarter happened. It's all about Sack City and Dback play. History shows this will probably be the lowest attended game of the year with lots of students disguised as empty seats. 

We've had a few blow-outs this year - then the fourth quarter happened. It's all about Sack City and Dback play. History shows this will probably be the lowest attended game of the year with lots of students disguised as empty seats. 

I'm doing my part - making the trip on Saturday AM and bringing a few with me. Go Fighting Roughrider Hawks!

• Upvote 3