SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Up With The Offense?

geaux_sioux

I know the crowd had a good impact on the game yesterday and that NDSU has a good front 7 but my goodness our offense was bad. The OL did not get the job done for the second week in a row. We have a young team but at some point they need to use their experience and start playing like veterans. I don't think NDSU has a good enough d to hold us to only 9 points, both off of huge special teams plays, and 3 first downs. We need playmakers on the outside bad. Nobody was getting open when we did pass and have time. I still think Mollberg is better, but if we go with Studsrud it'd be nice if the OL and WR would help him succeed.

I am bewildered as well about our offense.  How did we go from running all over WY (and yes I know they are not very good, but I'm sure the entire 2011 Bison class will post again to remind us) and being a fumble away from going up on Drake 28-0 at half, to going to almost complete ineptitude?  It's like somebody flipped a switch at halftime against Drake, they need to get that switch flipped back on.   Yes NDSU is good, but I agree we should be better than that and Drake did the same thing against us in the second half. 

Montana consistently moved the ball on this bison D, and weber was at least able to hit a few big plays.  I agree with the trolls around here that this is a good version of bison d at this point in the season, but not all world as they have been.

I'm gonna HOPE the UND O simply crapped the bed in a moment that was too big for them.

This week will be telling.

• Upvote 1

Montana consistently moved the ball on this bison D, and weber was at least able to hit a few big plays.  I agree with the trolls around here that this is a good version of bison d at this point in the season, but not all world as they have been.

I'm gonna HOPE the UND O simply crapped the bed in a moment that was too big for them.

This week will be telling.

NDSU was missing their top CB for the Montana game. That made the difference.

I agree on Sanitago, he's probably better suited to play WR, especially now that Smith's redshirt is off.  And with Georges out, we don't really have any other speed guys to go with.

The O-Line looks like the main problem to me.  I'm not smart enough to be able to know if it is talent or technique, but to my untrained eye, I really don't think they performed any worse against NDSU than they did against Drake, at least as far as run blocking goes.

I didn't understand the play calling at times against NDSU.  This offense isn't built to go empty backfield on 2nd and 7 which it seems like they did several times.  Most of the time it seemed like that resulted in a sack and then 3rd and 13+.

• Upvote 1

Not going to defend the OL because they were not very good and the entire offense has a lot of problems to fix. 

1. Line play needs to improve, pass blocking generally shouldn't be that difficult.

2. RB need to take what blocked before trying to get cute and make a bunch of cuts.  Yes, I think two of the freshman RB's left yards on the field almost every time they touched the ball and the other one did not. 

3. WR need to get some separation and some of this is likely play calling related

4. QB play is pretty poor at this point.  He is young and the game may slow down for him at some point but his reads need to be quicker and you can't stare down a WR before you throw the ball to him.  I would like to see UND just have him make a quick look at maybe 2 WR's and if it isn't available take off and run and use some of his athleticism.  Until he gets more comfortable he just looks like a sitting duck in the pocket.  If he gets hurt it isn't like it will be a huge drop off to the next QB so he should be cut loose to make plays running the ball.  Watching Wentz quickly go though his progression and then take off running if it isn't open is pretty remarkable to watch.  Outside off a quick sack the guy keeps the offense moving forward on basically every play.  Throwing accuracy has been an issue in every game so far this year, even some completions the ball is off the mark and WR's have to dive for ball and they can't catch and run. 

5. I think the play calling needs to improve but to me this is really the most difficult area because when you game plan fails due to execution issues of you are overmatched.  What can you really do?  Running a spread offense isn't a solution because it completely goes against philosophy in relation to controlling the clock.  We would be better off switching to a wing T or some other run based offense. 

How many offensive starters are Bubba's recruits and how many are Mussman's? Also wondering the same question on defense? Seems the defense is improving more quickly than the offense since Bubba took over. Is it the coaches or is the players?

Both, but some of the offensive issues are philosophy related.  I am sure UND could manufacture more yardage and points with a more aggressive offense even with the talent level as it is.  The problem is it wouldn't likely keep the clock moving or sustain drives which obviously the current offense isn't doing either. 

We have the key to an offensive turn around. His name is Joe Mollberg and if he's now healthy he's our best QB by a wide margin. He proved it last year. I'm hoping he gets a chance this year because he has the tools to lead our offense instead of being Trent Dilfer 2.0 like Studsrud and just trying to not lose a game by throwing for 60 yards and 0 ints.

• Upvote 1

We have the key to an offensive turn around. His name is Joe Mollberg and if he's now healthy he's our best QB by a wide margin. He proved it last year. I'm hoping he gets a chance this year because he has the tools to lead our offense instead of being Trent Dilfer 2.0 like Studsrud and just trying to not lose a game by throwing for 60 yards and 0 ints.

With the same OL I don't think a QB change would be the answer. Especially when we can't run the ball and play calling from the coach is poor. If Mollberg gets a start soon and somehow turns things around great, go for it, but if he gets in there and nothing happens but more despair there may be a lot more change that needs to be done and the QB position may not be it.

Both, but some of the offensive issues are philosophy related.  I am sure UND could manufacture more yardage and points with a more aggressive offense even with the talent level as it is.  The problem is it wouldn't likely keep the clock moving or sustain drives which obviously the current offense isn't doing either. 

If we would of had 100 yards going into half with some missed opportunities on plays we could come back to that would be one thing and let's keep playing.  But to have 4 yards, and our biggest positive is no false starts.........might want to go with plan B.  We didn't have a plan B.

We should of had at least 2 balls floated to our 6'5" receiver on 5'10" DB and I would of twice maxed protected or rolled the pocket with 2 verticle routes and a deep middle post.....take a deep shot!! I am wondering how far Studsrud can throw it?  I think Joe and Bartles have cannons, 70 yard type.

• Upvote 1

Where to start - I think with the off season program and coaching - not sure if it is possible to work out all summer and return weaker and with less technique but that seems to be the case with the O line.  They can't move anyone off the ball.  No development here to speak of.  Receivers - not a great lot - can't get separation to save their butts which is why waiting until it is 3rd and long to throw is counter-productive.  QB - we have 3 fairly highly recruited QB's and haven't developed any of them.  If it was only 1 that wasn't moving along then that sometimes happens, but all 3 are stagnant.  In addition, with the anointment of Studsrud, it doesn't appear that any other QB will get a chance.  You hate to go into a game like Saturday and see that "deer in the headlight" look in your QB.  Play calling - I understand that with our line push any play is a challenge, but sauntering up to the line and taking time to call one of three easily diagnosed running plays on first down is deadly.  With our talent the worst thing you can do is get into a 2nd and 9 or 3rd and 7 situation.  Adjustments - hard to say - I think you would actually have to make an adjustment in order to judge their effectiveness.  Like I said previously, the two worst halves of offensive football I have seen from the Sioux in 40 years.  

Too long, didn't read version - low talent, lack of development, poor play calling.

I agree - and it doesn't look like he will get a look.  If Studsrud hasn't played himself out of the lineup in the last 3 halves of football, he probably never will.

If we would of had 100 yards going into half with some missed opportunities on plays we could come back to that would be one thing and let's keep playing.  But to have 4 yards, and our biggest positive is no false starts.........might want to go with plan B.  We didn't have a plan B.

We should of had at least 2 balls floated to our 6'5" receiver on 5'10" DB and I would of twice maxed protected or rolled the pocket with 2 verticle routes and a deep middle post.....take a deep shot!! I am wondering how far Studsrud can throw it?  I think Joe and Bartles have cannons, 70 yard type.

I personally would like to see one of the other QB's play.  I just don't think studsrud is ready. 

I agree - and it doesn't look like he will get a look.  If Studsrud hasn't played himself out of the lineup in the last 3 halves of football, he probably never will.

To be fair....the same thing could have been said about Mollberg last year.....except not after 3 halves......more like 4-5 full games.  Not saying Mollberg shouldn't play now though, I'm up for whatever gets our offense moving.

• Upvote 1