SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: Drake

geaux_sioux

The defense today was outstanding. Outside of Drakes first drive and a couple others they had their way with the bulldogs. When they needed a sack, they got a sack. They dropped about three ints on top of it. Not to mention that they had no help from the offense in the second half. Literally none. 

The kick coverage was improved big time still not perfect. They need to be even better next week.

The offense had a couple moments, most of them passing. The OL was horrendous, most of the time. I did feel like we missed Georges. I also had a feeling that maybe they're holding Smith out til NDSU. Maybe he'll be the secret weapon like Santiago was against WYO. Also I felt like the play calling was about as simple as possible to get the win and go into next game with putting as little on film as possible.

I'm not the least bit impressed by this win. It was ugly. It was painful. It wasn't what the fans needed to see. But I think it's what the team needed. This struggle against a more experienced but less talented opponent has illustrated to the team that they need to execute at 100% against every team they play. Obviously we're gonna get our ass kicked next game if we're not ready to go. I think this game will galvanize the team and give Bubba and co plenty of ass chewing material this week. 

So I guess in a way is doing poorly this week is a good thing to me.

• Upvote 2

Does anyone think the playbook and scheme offensively was limited and a little boring for a reason?  I will answer this, "yes" it was.  The issue I have is our base stuff should have been enough to put Drake away, but it wasn't.

Overall, we were sloppy and it was getting painful to watch.  UND has a lot to prove next week, not much to lose.  I expect a different looking team.

At RB, Arrignton was least impressive, he doesn't seem to have what it takes.

We will miss Clive at WR, no doubt.

I agree on all points.

The defense today was outstanding. Outside of Drakes first drive and a couple others they had their way with the bulldogs. When they needed a sack, they got a sack. They dropped about three ints on top of it. Not to mention that they had no help from the offense in the second half. Literally none. 

The kick coverage was improved big time still not perfect. They need to be even better next week.

The offense had a couple moments, most of them passing. The OL was horrendous, most of the time. I did feel like we missed Georges. I also had a feeling that maybe they're holding Smith out til NDSU. Maybe he'll be the secret weapon like Santiago was against WYO. Also I felt like the play calling was about as simple as possible to get the win and go into next game with putting as little on film as possible.

I'm not the least bit impressed by this win. It was ugly. It was painful. It wasn't what the fans needed to see. But I think it's what the team needed. This struggle against a more experienced but less talented opponent has illustrated to the team that they need to execute at 100% against every team they play. Obviously we're gonna get our ass kicked next game if we're not ready to go. I think this game will galvanize the team and give Bubba and co plenty of ass chewing material this week. 

So I guess in a way is doing poorly this week is a good thing to me.

these two things are what i was thinking after watching this game.......where is awarri and don't show too much in a game that you should win somewhat easily but things happen and it became closer than it should have...but the next game is the game that bubba has circled and he and rudolph will have this team ready to go next week...

• Upvote 1

We are not as good as we thought we were after week one, and I don't think we are as bad as everyone now thinks we are after week two.  We are still in somewhat of a rebuilding situation unfortunately, and those that had us 8-3 this year just wasn't that realistic in my opinion.   This is only the 2nd year of the rebuild, we will take a few lumps this year.....and we just took a lump.  Fortunately the lump still resulted in a W.

• Upvote 3

4 game win streak baby............

The offensive scheme and the play calling is fine.  The problem tonight was the ineptitude of the O-Line, and the fact that the two players that handle the pigskin the most for us treated it like it was a hot potato (that's Potato Bowl humor).

Seriously, 7 fumbles?  That's ridiculous.  Are the balls over-inflated?

The defense was great as they have been for the most part since Bubba took over.  But they need to force a turnover at some point.  

Is this team as good as some thought after the Wyoming win?  Probably not.  Is this team as bad as some think after the Drake win?  Probably not.  It is probably somewhere in the middle.

There is just one game left before Big Sky play starts.  Need to re-focus this week and pay attention to what is right in front of us and use the next game to get better.

Now, the only thing worse than O-Line play tonight was possibly the student section AGAIN!  They were great in the first half but then disappear at half.  Come on, it is the home opener.  The Potato Bowl.  Coming off an FBS win.  Things were going good for the most part in the first half.  These  students today suck.

And the Alerus just can't get the intro right can they?  I thought it was finally pretty good the last two years where they killed the lights and ran out to Welcome to the Jungle.  It was solid.  Now they just sort of appear.  No build up or nothing.  How can the Alerus alwaya be so bad at this small yet exciting detail, while the REA is always so good at it.  The new PA guy leaves a lot to be desired too.

4 game win streak baby.............

Just win baby.........

• Upvote 4

Yep, but after halftime I heard very little of anything.  Then I thought to myself, maybe the comment of Sioux chants dwindling isn't really based on the fact that people don't use them anymore at non-hockey events due to wanting to move on.  I think it might have to do more with the fact that most of the non-hockey events give the fans very little to cheer for.  This was my first football game I attended for a couple of years.  Unless things change it might be awhile for me to go back.  The second half was unbearable to watch.  The defense was good, the offensive was predictable and awful.  Silver lining is that this performance will probably save me a couple hundred bucks on a ticket to next weeks blood bath.

How many times does a freshman rb have to fumble in a game before he is benched for the remainder of a game?  Seems like the answer might be 4 for this coaching staff.

I think you hit the nail on the head! The Sioux gear was thick, the buzz in the building was real.....at the start and through the first half. But like you said, not much to cheer for in the second half. Hope it didn't ruin the opportunity to grow the fan base this year!

Execution and play calling offensively have to improve if UND has any chance to put up points next Saturday. UND didn't block anyone yesterday but even I knew what the play was going to be 75% of the time......and I was in Section 204 without a headset on.

Well... that was ugly.  I hope it was just a letdown because if we play like that up front and fumble the ball among other glaring mistakes it will be a long day against NDSU.  I still feel UND can bounce back because the defense is very good although I think one of the CB might need to drop a spot on the depth chart.  The line play was a big issue yesterday but Keaton needs to play a much cleaner game going forward.  A win is a win but Bubba and staff have a lot to fix this week. 

Execution and play calling offensively have to improve if UND has any chance to put up points next Saturday. UND didn't block anyone yesterday but even I knew what the play was going to be 75% of the time......and I was in Section 204 without a headset on.

I'm calling bullᎦhit on your psychic abilities. People say stuff like this all the time. It's never true.

• Upvote 1

For some to call out the student section for lack of supoort yesterday is just enabling the continued hapless product that continues to grace the turf at the Alerus. II was really excited to get to the game then couldcould not wait to leave! You think a 18-20 year old kid who was anticipating this game, comes and watches the 2nd half Sh*t Show is gonna be back on 9/26.....especially if UND gets punched in the mouth next week?

• Upvote 1

I'm calling bullᎦhit on your psychic abilities. People say stuff like this all the time. It's never true.

Outside of formation changes how many different offensive plays did Rudolph actually call? You seem to be a program insider....get the game tape and get back to me with your results.

• Upvote 1

For some to call out the student section for lack of supoort yesterday is just enabling the continued hapless product that continues to grace the turf at the Alerus. I could wait to leave! You think a 18-20 year old kid who was anticipating this game, comes and watches the 2nd half Sh*t Show is gonna be back on 9/26.....especially if UND gets punched in the mouth next week?

I thought people said most of the students left at halftime?  If that is true they bailed before it got to the ugly part of the game.  The first half was sloppy on offense as well, but things didn't get really bad until the second half.  UND had a very bad game and that does happen sometimes in football.  I was upset that they couldn't fix the issues throughout the game but I don't think we will see UND execute this poorly again. 

For some to call out the student section for lack of supoort yesterday is just enabling the continued hapless product that continues to grace the turf at the Alerus. I could wait to leave! You think a 18-20 year old kid who was anticipating this game, comes and watches the 2nd half Sh*t Show is gonna be back on 9/26.....especially if UND gets punched in the mouth next week?

It was a big student section at least in the first half. They just need something to cheer about. Also they need to stop slapping the seats and start yelling instead.

I thought people said most of the students left at halftime?  If that is true they bailed before it got to the ugly part of the game.  The first half was sloppy on offense as well, but things didn't get really bad until the second half.  UND had a very bad game and that does happen sometimes in football.  I was upset that they couldn't fix the issues throughout the game but I don't think we will see UND execute this poorly again. 

A good portion returned after half but most were gone by late 3rd.

Outside of formation changes how many different offensive plays did Rudolph actually call? You seem to be a program insider....get the game tape and get back to me with your results.

Not a lot, which is good. But outside of having a feel for run or pass im going to doubt whoever says they knew what play was coming a majority of the time.

This isn't even a consideration if the team blocked like they did against Wyoming.  I am a firm believer that it isn't what you run on offense it's all about execution and consistency.  I know you can't be predictable unless you are dominant but if UND executes properly yesterday we have a very different game.  Drake deserves some credit because they played a good game, but UND has a lot of blame to pass around as well. 

4 game win streak baby............

The offensive scheme and the play calling is fine.  The problem tonight was the ineptitude of the O-Line, and the fact that the two players that handle the pigskin the most for us treated it like it was a hot potato (that's Potato Bowl humor).

Seriously, 7 fumbles?  That's ridiculous.  Are the balls over-inflated?

The defense was great as they have been for the most part since Bubba took over.  But they need to force a turnover at some point.  

Is this team as good as some thought after the Wyoming win?  Probably not.  Is this team as bad as some think after the Drake win?  Probably not.  It is probably somewhere in the middle.

There is just one game left before Big Sky play starts.  Need to re-focus this week and pay attention to what is right in front of us and use the next game to get better.

Now, the only thing worse than O-Line play tonight was possibly the student section AGAIN!  They were great in the first half but then disappear at half.  Come on, it is the home opener.  The Potato Bowl.  Coming off an FBS win.  Things were going good for the most part in the first half.  These  students today suck.

And the Alerus just can't get the intro right can they?  I thought it was finally pretty good the last two years where they killed the lights and ran out to Welcome to the Jungle.  It was solid.  Now they just sort of appear.  No build up or nothing.  How can the Alerus alwaya be so bad at this small yet exciting detail, while the REA is always so good at it.  The new PA guy leaves a lot to be desired too.

4 game win streak baby.............

Just win baby.........

I agree and disagree with this.  

For the most part, the play calling in the second half was awful.  It was obvious that one team made appropriate half time adjustments and another team did not.

The student section was fine.  They filled their sections for the start of the game.  Unfortunately the filth they had to watch in the second half drove them out. 

Another reason they and a large percentage of the rest of the crowd left early is the game environment.  Yes the intro sucks.  It sucks bad!  The new PA guy also is bad.  What happened to the other guy?  He was good.  Fireworks were a joke!  Please get the REA staff over there to straighten this out.  The Alerus experience is awful!

I would agree on your assessment on where this team is right now.  Not as good as last week, not as bad as this week.  Unfortunately, that is a big gap.  To be competitive next week, they need to play better than they did against Wyoming.  Instead of building on an impressive win, they took a step backwards.

Bubba did not look very happy in the post game presser.  He looked almost rattled which we didn't see last year, even after getting taken to the woodshed for a few games.  This one really bothered him.  

I can't argue that the team did little to nothing to keep anybody that is on the fence wanting to stay to see more as the 2nd half progressed. It was indeed brutal. My comment was directed more at the numer of kids that left right after the first half. I'd estimate that at least half left during the halftime. The student section was nice and full to start with, and was nice to see. I was just surprised so many left before the 2nd half even started. The first half was hardly flawless, but it wasn't terrible by any means. The D was great and the O was moving the ball through the air. I guess they maybe just figured it was going to be 42-0 by the end of the game.

Edited by bincitysioux