SiouxSports.com Forum

For one last time

Fetch

Much more likely that the schools that got the pass are going to lose their Native American nicknames - Fighting Sioux as the official nickname for UND is history. Even if the NCAA changed (which won't happen) too many liberals on campus to allow that - heck we can't even get "arrow" or "Nokota" past them. 

Again I have accepted that but not yet convinced it is IMPOSSIBLE ?

Well, acceptance is the final stage in dealing with death...

Fighting Sioux nickname...love it as much as we did, it's well beyond time to stick a fork in it.

Yes if the NCAA changes the policy or hell freeze over whatever one is first

Or I wear 'su fan gear first. So my money's on Hell freezing over first, and then the NC$$ pulling its head out of its a$$ after the next Ice Age.

Or I wear 'su fan gear first. So my money's on Hell freezing over first, and then the NC$$ pulling its head out of its a$$ after the next Ice Age.

I recently read an article that we'll be facing an ice age by 2030. So you're telling me only ten years of this new terrible logo?

From NHL.com:

The New Jersey franchise has completed its move to the new Lucifer Arena at the corner of Dante's and Eighth Circle. The franchise will continue to play under the "Devils" name and recommends fans use the new pavement on Good Intentions Road to get to the facility.

New Devils owner, B. Elze Bub, had no new comments on his purchase of the team or them playing in their new venue, but he did comment that he was surprised that earlier in the day the NCAA had reversed their prior policy and is again allowing Native related nicknames.

Yup, that's the press release that'll have to happen. ;)

• 2 years later...
On July 26, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Fetch said:

Is there any possible way / scenerios the Fighting Sioux name could come back ?

Ralph Engelstad  passed away 2002.  NCAA in 2005 says hostile and abusive. 

Wonder if Ralph would have taken them to court. 2 tribes to keep nickname. Other schools just the 1 closest tribe? Is this true?  You expect  the rules be the same for you as other schools. Possible way?

Much as I hate to admit it there is no way the Fighting Sioux nickname will ever come back officially outside of the Dakota legacy collection. Though Chinese bootlegs are still readily available if you are desperate for Fighting Sioux Gear and really unwilling to wear PC the Postal Hawk.  We can talk till the cows come home about how the NCAA should apply the rules fairly to all schools regardless of size or status but we both know that is a pipe dream given how corrupt the NCAA is and that its primary concern is making money, it will always treat the larger wealthier institutions better than the smaller ones that bring in less money.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Yea but as we all know that was done with a gun to the head of UND sports, Drop the nickname or sanctions.

Which hockey only fans didn’t care about. They knew sanctions would only hurt the team when it came to playing Big 10 schools and wearing a logo-less jersey during the NCAA tournament. They didn’t care about the other sports not being able to host a playoff game, losing recruits, trouble with conference affiliation and teams threatening not to schedule us. The name is retired and has been for 6 years. We are the Fighting Hawks with the name on a championship banner and we have a logo that is now sparking mascot talk. After the DAPL incident would anyone want to deal with the Standing Rock tribal council....again?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6