SiouxSports.com Forum

Tuition Waivers

GeauxSioux

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll just tag it here.

NDSU seeks chief of staff for president's cabinet | INFORUM

So what exactly are his priorities?  Are these guys really that important that they need a chief of staff?

It looks to me like another layer of insulation to provide plausible deniability.  

Your job is to run the University.  You are getting paid to do the job.  Do it.

I think you should point that statement at your own administration. Looks like you guys could really use a chief of staff.LOL I mean with all of the pressure from the nickname fiasco and organizing numerous committees and announcing press conferences to announce all the committees he could probably use some help.

I think you should point that statement at your own administration. Looks like you guys could really use a chief of staff.LOL I mean with all of the pressure from the nickname fiasco and organizing numerous committees and announcing press conferences to announce all the committees he could probably use some help.

Und has more than enough administrators. Their (lack of) decision-making is a separate issue.

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...
47 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

Unfortunately, we have a legislature in ND who are ass backward on things along with being powerhungry.  All of us can see the harm this particular law does but the legislature cannot.  Leaders like Skarpohl especially like these type of laws and hey'd like a few more because they're thinking on a 1975 level  and it is2016

1975? Don't give them that much credit. The clueless legislators from the west are still stuck in the 1950s. They are embarrassing, McFeely who I usually can't stand had a great article about Skarpohl today.  

12 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

1975? Don't give them that much credit. The clueless legislators from the west are still stuck in the 1950s. They are embarrassing, McFeely who I usually can't stand had a great article about Skarpohl today.  

McFeely was trying to rile people up, which he did. I don't agree with all of Skarphol's comments but to completely dismiss all of his points as "stuck in the 1950's" is flat out wrong.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

McFeely was trying to rile people up, which he did. I don't agree with all of Skarphol's comments but to completely dismiss all of his points as "stuck in the 1950's" is flat out wrong.

I just read Mcfeely's article and it was a rile people piece cause that is his job.  I think mcfeely is spot on for once though.  A legislature loaded with Skarpohls is a big reason our state couldn't make it to 700000 people till a historic oil boom happened here.  I seriously doubt Skarpohl's insight as to the workings of a university and I hope he doesn't decide to unleash his hate and outdated mindset on und. I'm not sugesting that the doofus legislatures are all from the west, only this one and a couple more

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I know McFeely loves to rile people up but he also made a great point in calling him out. There is a group of legislators that are stuck in the past and clueless as to what the state needs to do in the modern world. Skarpohl is their poster child. He is embarrassing but sadly so are most of politicians in this state so even when he is retired I don't hold out much hope in things changing. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

I know McFeely loves to rile people up but he also made a great point in calling him out. There is a group of legislators that are stuck in the past and clueless as to what the state needs to do in the modern world. Skarpohl is their poster child. He is embarrassing but sadly so are most of politicians in this state so even when he is retired I don't hold out much hope in things changing. 

If people like Skarpohl were in charge, higher education would have been privatized a long time ago. Of course, that would put it out of the price range of a lot of North Dakota families, but again, they don't fund their campaigns so they really don't matter, do they? :silly:???

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I guess I'm one of the people still stuck in the 50s (as a millennial) struggling to understand how importing a kid from India for 3 years, getting $0 in tuition from him/her, having them work on a noncompetitive grant project or as a teaching assistant nobody from the midwest can understand (while a ND/MN student continues working as a server and paying full tuition), and then them leaving to go back to India with a masters degree (because they were here on a student visa, and thus, can't stay after graduation or work outside of the university), all paid for by the ND taxpayers and other students, is such a great deal for us.

The bozos in the legislature even attack NDSU for having too many MN students, which is ridiculous. I do think a previous president put too much focus on international students, they are not a bad thing at all and I do think a research universities like NDSU and UND should be recruiting them. Diversity is a good thing, having very intelligent students to do research and teach is a good thing. I do think there needs to be a layer of regulation in regards to recruiting them and how much is spent but it is sad that attracting these students has turned into a negative. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I guess I'm one of the people still stuck in the 50s (as a millennial) struggling to understand how importing a kid from India for 3 years, getting $0 in tuition from him/her, having them work on a noncompetitive grant project or as a teaching assistant nobody from the midwest can understand (while a ND/MN student continues working as a server and paying full tuition), and then them leaving to go back to India with a masters degree (because they were here on a student visa, and thus, can't stay after graduation or work outside of the university), all paid for by the ND taxpayers and other students, is such a great deal for us.

Yes that was a terrible run-on sentence.  It was meant to be exhausting.

A lot of Indian, Chinese, and Arab students in the US with STEM backgrounds get green cards.   Microsoft and Google have a major influence on our immigration policies.

Used to joke back when Iran overthrew the Shah that all the Iranian engineering students would find jobs in the Iranian nuclear arms program.  

Skarpohl's dream is to get a branch of UND's College of Mines out in Tioga.

He recognizes the enormous opportunity that will play out in 20 years, and is waiting on the next oil cycle.  Projections are that ND will have 1.4 mill by 2040, much of it in the west.  Discrediting Bresciani and Kelley help him make his goal a reality.

29 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Using rough figures, in 2014-2015 NDSU had 32.5% of the NDUS head count (15,066 out of 46,386) and gave out 59.8% of all tuition waivers ($18.1 million out of $30.3 million). UND was at 33.4% and 29.4% ($8.9 million) respectively. 

NDSU gives at least some sort of tuition waiver to 70% of its international students. 37.5% of their international students receive a full tuition waiver. 

There's clearly a disconnect somewhere and I don't see an issue with it being called out if it leads to a discussion of what's going on, why and what issues may need to be addressed. McFeely knows that too, he just had to take the opposite side as Skarphol to bring it up.

Schools can make a fortune off tuition waivers.  You have to remember, these students are still paying tuition, just not the full amount.  NDSU waived about 9.2 million dollars more in tuition than UND.  However, NDSU received about 5.4 million dollars in tuition dollars than UND from those students receiving waivers, about 3.8 million more in room and board dollars than UND, and about 1.2 million more dollars in student fees than UND. It's also important to note often these students aren't just getting free money.  They're serving as research or teaching assistants in return for partial or full reimbursement of tuition. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Correct. Having University leaders who are out of touch with the real world and the concept that things cost money, who ignore budgets, who make choices that aren't theirs to make doesn't help. I have always been pro higher ed but the arrogance and lack of accountability over the years from the University system has worn me down a bit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

McFeely is delusional as usual twisting words. 

He is the master of saying he is going to attack an issue, then creates a straw man argument similar to the issue but not necessarily the same and then trashing the issue he created himself.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Schools can make a fortune off tuition waivers.  You have to remember, these students are still paying tuition, just not the full amount.  NDSU waived about 9.2 million dollars more in tuition than UND.  However, NDSU received about 5.4 million dollars in tuition dollars than UND from those students receiving waivers, about 3.8 million more in room and board dollars than UND, and about 1.2 million more dollars in student fees than UND. It's also important to note often these students aren't just getting free money.  They're serving as research or teaching assistants in return for partial or full reimbursement of tuition. 

I'd hope they'd be able bring in more, they gave some sort of waiver to 22.7% (3,414 students) compared to 12.2% (1,911 students). You're comparing an extra 1,500+ students on NDSU's side of the equation.

The bottom line numbers show that UND was able to bring in bring in $7.8 million dollars more in total tuition, room/board and fees than NDSU did without giving away that extra $9.2 million dollars. So how exactly is that making a fortune off of tuition waivers?

6 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

When you give tuition waivers to nearly 80% more students than UND, it's not hard to rack up those numbers.  Ndsu also gets a lot of money from the state for the credits completed by those students receiving waivers.  It's quite the racket.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'd hope they'd be able bring in more, they gave some sort of waiver to 22.7% (3,414 students) compared to 12.2% (1,911 students). You're comparing an extra 1,500+ students on NDSU's side of the equation.

The bottom line numbers show that UND was able to bring in bring in $7.8 million dollars more in total tuition, room/board and fees than NDSU did without giving away that extra $9.2 million dollars. So how exactly is that making a fortune off of tuition waivers?

Common core

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, petey23 said:

He is the master of saying he is going to attack an issue, then creates a straw man argument similar to the issue but not necessarily the same and then trashing the issue he created himself.

Where I'm from we call folks like McFolly a dumb a**!

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In part by having graduate students do research and teaching assistantships.  The monetary value of that work could be upwards of $30,000-40,000/year per student.  My research assistantship at Iowa State required me to work 20 hours/week in my major adviser's lab, which was a joke since it was usually 30+ hours a week.  Using Iowa State wages, my major adviser would have had to pay somebody about $45,000-$50,000 per year for that work.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

In part by having graduate students do research and teaching assistantships.  The monetary value of that work could be upwards of $30,000-40,000/year per student.  My research assistantship at Iowa State required me to work 20 hours/week in my major adviser's lab, which was a joke since it was usually 30+ hours a week.  Using Iowa State wages, my major adviser would have had to pay somebody about $45,000-$50,000 per year for that work.

Can't believe I am agreeing with an NDSU booster! :p