SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota v. Omaha

bincitysioux

I was hoping to see an actual offensive play drawn up for the final possession, but I guess that was too much to ask.

So to end the game, the one time all game Hooker doesn't bring the ball up, they run a worthless screen across the free throw line to get him the ball on the wing, forcing him to the baseline with no other options, 16 feet away from the rim.  SMH

If you're going to take the ball out of his hands so he can't run the show from the point, how about running an actual play to get him open?

If you have a brain, you let him run it from the point, and set screens as he wants so he has choices.      

I was hoping to see an actual offensive play drawn up for the final possession, but I guess that was too much to ask.

So to end the game, the one time all game Hooker doesn't bring the ball up, they run a worthless screen across the free throw line to get him the ball on the wing, forcing him to the baseline with no other options, 16 feet away from the rim.  SMH

If you're going to take the ball out of his hands so he can't run the show from the point, how about running an actual play to get him open?

If you have a brain, you let him run it from the point, and set screens as he wants so he has choices.      

You mean run the same play they did the possession before where Hooker got doubled and then forced into the corner and turned the ball over?  Doesn't make sense to try that again when everyone in the building knew Hooker was going to take the last shot.  The ball was inbounded at halfcourt, no one brought the ball up.  To try to get Hooker open, they ran him off two screens through the middle lane.  He got it, took a few dribbles and he absolutely beat his guy but the double team rotated over.  Had that rotation not made it in time, that's the mid-range jumper he's been absolutely burying.  His option was to swing it to Shanks, who didn't have an open shot on the defensive rotation and with de Rouen being the next option and was wide open in almost the exact spot he buried one a minute prior.

I have no issues with arguing that either Tyler or Antwi be the guys to take the last shot over de Rouen but to claim they didn't run a play to get him open is off base.  I can only imagine the (rightful) criticism is Jones would have called the same play that had led to a turnover the previous possession.

Don't take this for supporting the whole game plan or anything else that happened, but the play Jones drew up for the final possession doesn't deserve criticism, especially when looking at the previous 39+ minutes.

You mean run the same play they did the possession before where Hooker got doubled and then forced into the corner and turned the ball over? Doesn't make sense to try that again when everyone in the building knew Hooker was going to take the last shot. The ball was inbounded at halfcourt, no one brought the ball up. To try to get Hooker open, they ran him off two screens through the middle lane. He got it, took a few dribbles and he absolutely beat his guy but the double team rotated over. Had that rotation not made it in time, that's the mid-range jumper he's been absolutely burying. His option was to swing it to Shanks, who didn't have an open shot on the defensive rotation and with de Rouen being the next option and was wide open in almost the exact spot he buried one a minute prior.

I have no issues with arguing that either Tyler or Antwi be the guys to take the last shot over de Rouen but to claim they didn't run a play to get him open is off base. I can only imagine the (rightful) criticism is Jones would have called the same play that had led to a turnover the previous possession.

Don't take this for supporting the whole game plan or anything else that happened, but the play Jones drew up for the final possession doesn't deserve criticism, especially when looking at the previous 39+ minutes.

Good summation. Well run. A good look to win the game.

Good summation. Well run. A good look to win the game.

Again...........Omaha sucks. Should have never come to that point.

Just baffled that getting a "good look" to potentially win a home game vs. a 300+ RPI team is a "bright spot" or even worse acceptable.

Just baffled that getting a "good look" to potentially win a home game vs. a 300+ RPI team is a "bright spot" or even worse acceptable.

I know this wasn't directed at me but I agree with you.  My point was that there were plenty of things to criticize but the last possession isn't on the list. 

Amazing that de Rouen was left wide open at the end of the game.  "But he got a good look".  

Reminds me of the guy who always said "...but I was open".  Then the coach replies, "..there is probably a reason why."  Omaha left UND's worst 3 point shooter open and somehow he ended up being the one that took the shot.  Omaha 1.  UND 0.  

Read my post again. Shouldn't take you long. It's just a handful of words. Not sure how you draw anything you just mentioned out of that statement.

You mean run the same play they did the possession before where Hooker got doubled and then forced into the corner and turned the ball over?  Doesn't make sense to try that again when everyone in the building knew Hooker was going to take the last shot.  The ball was inbounded at halfcourt, no one brought the ball up.  To try to get Hooker open, they ran him off two screens through the middle lane.  He got it, took a few dribbles and he absolutely beat his guy but the double team rotated over.  Had that rotation not made it in time, that's the mid-range jumper he's been absolutely burying.  His option was to swing it to Shanks, who didn't have an open shot on the defensive rotation and with de Rouen being the next option and was wide open in almost the exact spot he buried one a minute prior.

I have no issues with arguing that either Tyler or Antwi be the guys to take the last shot over de Rouen but to claim they didn't run a play to get him open is off base.  I can only imagine the (rightful) criticism is Jones would have called the same play that had led to a turnover the previous possession.

No, that's not at all what I mean.   Hooker made a mistake on that previous possession and wasn't about to do it again.   Making him catch  the ball running away from the basket on the wing is not a good plan.  After that, it was playground time again.  If there would have been someone flashing towards the basket after he caught it for a potential layup, or a pick and roll, it may have made sense.  

Omaha got exactly what they wanted; they sagged off the poorest outside shooter on the floor, UND got the ball to the open man, and he of course missed.  

I never agree with his "game plans", so we're in agreement there.

Yes, Omaha does suck and it should not have come to that but hate to say it but we sucked this season too. That's why it came down to a close game in the closing seconds. We just managed to finish on the short end (damn, again). Pretty even (read competitive) match-up of teams I think so could of gone either way.