SiouxSports.com Forum

Super Bowl XLIX

The Sicatoka

Didn't they redo Wilson contract last year? I saw something saying Seattle is going to give lynch a huge contract extension.

Nope, he is still getting his rookie salary of about $800,000 a year. Which in turn is a $950,000 cap hit against the Seahawks. Seattle will overpay for Wilson's services by making him the highest paid QB in the league (I bet 75% of his contract will be guaranteed money). 

So cheaters can win, also it won't be long before Goodell tells everyone the Pats did nothing wrong and he will (blow) I mean apologize to Robert Kraft....more than he does already.

By no means am I a Pats fan (GO GREEN BAY) but exactly how did the Pats cheat? Have you not read the most recent articles saying that only 1 ball was deflated by 2 PSI and the other ones were off by .05 or less. One ball that is deflated by 2psi isn't going to win you a game (since they switch balls every down) by 38.

If Chris Mortensen wouldn't have jumped the gun on his article it could've lead to a more accurate investigation and better reporting. Everyone is so gung-ho on being the first person to report something that shoddy information comes out quicker. 

Also, do you think the Pats are the only team that "cheats"? I would be willing to bet that every team in the NFL does something to get an advantage over other teams, the Pats are just the ones who get caught. 

• Upvote 4

Although Brady threw two picks, ... 

That's why I have trouble. That first half pick should've cost NE the game. That was a rookie mistake. Even Wilson's pick is more forgivable than the one GLA* threw to SEA 20. 

Honestly, a case could be made that SEA 13 was the MVP. He set up a couple key SEA scores with solid catches. 

*How can you be GLA if you're not married to an American midwestern girl who grew up in a small town in a house with a white picket fence, a HS teacher/coach father and a stay-at-home mother? < /stereotype >

By no means am I a Pats fan (GO GREEN BAY) but exactly how did the Pats cheat? Have you not read the most recent articles saying that only 1 ball was deflated by 2 PSI and the other ones were off by .05 or less. One ball that is deflated by 2psi isn't going to win you a game (since they switch balls every down) by 38.

If Chris Mortensen wouldn't have jumped the gun on his article it could've lead to a more accurate investigation and better reporting. Everyone is so gung-ho on being the first person to report something that shoddy information comes out quicker. 

Also, do you think the Pats are the only team that "cheats"? I would be willing to bet that every team in the NFL does something to get an advantage over other teams, the Pats are just the ones who get caught. 

I'm a Dolphins fan and I haven't seen Miami's wins tainted by scandal. Spygate, deflategate. I accept the 82 snowplow game only because there was no rule that year against it, it became a rule in 1983. It doesn't matter if its 11 balls or 1 ball, its still cheating and they know it. Richard Sherman is right because Goodell and Kraft are butt buddies nothing will become of it.

I'm a Dolphins fan and I haven't seen Miami's wins tainted by scandal. Spygate, deflategate. I accept the 82 snowplow game only because there was no rule that year against it, it became a rule in 1983. It doesn't matter if its 11 balls or 1 ball, its still cheating and they know it. Richard Sherman is right because Goodell and Kraft are butt buddies nothing will become of it.

So I noticed that you conveniently failed to mention the latest release of information that siouxkid12 brought up that 1 of the deflated balls was measured at 2 PSI below standards and the other 10 were a fraction of a pound.  Obviously there are conflicting reports of exactly what the PSI measurement on the balls were.  We will soon find out. But if the balls were only .05 PSI less that the standard, please tell me how that gives a team an advantage?!

Not a NE fan by any means but wow, let the hate flow... 

When Shula was signed by the Dolphins, Miami was charged with tampering and lost a draft pick

In 1985, they were caught stealing opposing teams radio signals. 

They have also been accused of stretching the rules on obtaining and studying audio of QB cadences, in particular, Tom Brady's.

In 2011, Chad Henne was quoted about learning the new offense from the offensive coordinator, during a time frame when there was to be no contact with coaches.  

But keep pretending that Miami is completely innocent. All teams do things in the gray area, not even an argument.

A couple questions for the room:

Do you have a vehicle with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)? 

Has that ever gone off for you on the first really cold day of the fall?

Why is that? 

Is it normally one tire or all four?

The balls are looked at by the referees in a nice warm locker room before the game. They're then taken out into the cold.

I'm willing to bet that if every outdoor game was scrutinized you'd find at least one "TPMS" ball. 

Why is that? 

The balls are looked at by the referees in a nice warm locker room before the game. They're then taken out into the cold.

I'm willing to bet that if every outdoor game was scrutinized you'd find at least one "TPMS" ball. 

And numerous sources have said that more often than not the ref squeezes the ball and sticks it in the bag. They rarely use the gauge.

Why is that? 

Cue the George Costanza "shrinkage" footage.........................

About your third link, did you read the whole thing?

What the Miami Dolphins do is this – they have a coach who studies the game tapes, the television tapes, to pick up the signals from the opposing quarterback,” he said. “In fact, you can go out and buy something called network iso-tapes that people at home don’t see, to get additional audio.

“There is nothing illegal about what Miami did. However, the Patriots got caught doing something early in the year they weren’t supposed to be doing. They had a man on their sideline dressed in coaching attire with a video camera who was presumably videotaping the other team’s signals. You can’t do that. They were warned. If it happens again, they’re going to be disciplined.”

You must have missed this.

An NBA player can tell if a hoop is "too tight" or there isn't any give to it...an MLB ballplayer can tell if a bat is one ounce lighter or heavier than his usual bat..but I'm supposed to believe that a guy who has thrown a football since he was 5 years old can't tell the difference between 13.5 PSI vs 11.5? C'mon!

About your third link, did you read the whole thing?

You must have missed this.

Didn't say it was illegal, but definitely in the gray area.  They had to go above and beyond and purchase separate audio tapes to steal the audibles.  I have no problem with it.  You also ignored the rest of the links.  All teams are guilty of stretching the rules.

Didn't say it was illegal, but definitely in the gray area. They had to go above and beyond and purchase separate audio tapes to steal the audibles. You also ignored the rest of the links. All teams are guilty of stretching the rules.

I am sure they are, but lately its been the Pats, and with the same coach, owner, and QB involved. Tack on friends with the commissioner (see Rachel Nichols interview with Goodell) and something seems fishy.

An NBA player can tell if a hoop is "too tight" or there isn't any give to it...an MLB ballplayer can tell if a bat is one ounce lighter or heavier than his usual bat..but I'm supposed to believe that a guy who has thrown a football since he was 5 years old can't tell the difference between 13.5 PSI vs 11.5? C'mon!

Not going to lie, I played amateur ball in the summer time when I was able and we used wood bats. I couldn't tell the difference between a -3 oz ratio or a -4 oz ratio. The only player I have ever heard of knowing the difference in bat oz was Ted Williams. I would be willing to bet that every baseball player isn't going to know the difference if their bat is off by an oz or two.

That's why I have trouble. That first half pick should've cost NE the game. That was a rookie mistake. Even Wilson's pick is more forgivable than the one GLA* threw to SEA 20. 

Honestly, a case could be made that SEA 13 was the MVP. He set up a couple key SEA scores with solid catches. 

*How can you be GLA if you're not married to an American midwestern girl who grew up in a small town in a house with a white picket fence, a HS teacher/coach father and a stay-at-home mother? < /stereotype >

If you are going to say SEA 13 should be MVP because he set up a couple "key" TDs with catches, your same logic should be made with Brady. If Tom wasn't so accurate down the stretch (13-15 and 2 TDS), the Patriots don't even win the game. In all reality, I really don't think there was a clear cut MVP winner. The game was pretty sloppy at times and mistakes were made. I just think Tom Brady's stats did him enough in the voters eyes to get him the honors. 

Agree to disagree though!  :)

If you are going to say SEA 13 should be MVP because he set up a couple "key" TDs with catches, your same logic should be made with Brady. If Tom wasn't so accurate down the stretch (13-15 and 2 TDS), the Patriots don't even win the game. In all reality, I really don't think there was a clear cut MVP winner. The game was pretty sloppy at times and mistakes were made. I just think Tom Brady's stats did him enough in the voters eyes to get him the honors. 

Agree to disagree though!  :)

Brady's fourth quarter didn't hurt his case, nor did his history, but the most important play of the game was when a rookie recognized and jumped a route. 

Not going to lie, I played amateur ball in the summer time when I was able and we used wood bats. I couldn't tell the difference between a -3 oz ratio or a -4 oz ratio. The only player I have ever heard of knowing the difference in bat oz was Ted Williams. I would be willing to bet that every baseball player isn't going to know the difference if their bat is off by an oz or two.

Yes but pitchers know if the ball isn't right.

Yes but pitchers know if the ball isn't right.

That's irrelevant because a baseball is a solid object, whereas a football isn't. The mass of the official major league baseball is going to be 5.00 to 5.25 oz; the mass of the football can change to whatever because it needs to be filled with air.

A baseball bat is different because it is not measured by weight but by length (Babe Ruth swung a bat that weighed anywhere from 45-54 and was 36 inches long). In a nutshell a baseball player will get a box of maple bats at 35 inches long and the weight can be anywhere from 32-35 oz, so unless he is Ted Williams he probably wouldn't know the difference just by picking up the bat.

Brady's fourth quarter didn't hurt his case, nor did his history, but the most important play of the game was when a rookie recognized and jumped a route. 

I will give you that the rookies play was probably a vital point in the game but does it necessarily garner MVP consideration? IMO, I do not think it does.

I will give you that the rookies play was probably a vital point in the game but does it necessarily garner MVP consideration? IMO, I do not think it does.

Totally agree.  NE couldn't run the ball at all and being down Brady had to throw it 50+ times.  His numbers plus 4 TDs against the "Legion of Boom" was pretty impressive. 

Totally agree. NE couldn't run the ball at all and being down Brady had to throw it 50+ times. His numbers plus 4 TDs against the "Legion of Boom" was pretty impressive.

If Cliff Avril doesn't get injured, Seattle wins that game. Their defense was not the same after he left the game.