SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Athlete Stipends

nodak651

NDSU best Title IX defense would be to open its books and show every women's sports is basically funded at the top of its conference and has facilities on par with the men's teams. 

I guess you could say softball might be funded at a different level but I don't see a real funding difference by NDSU to rationalize a completely different approach for meeting Title IX.  

Here are the number for all womens sports shared by the Dakota schools. 

Total   NDSU           3,869,847 SDSU           2,980,155 UND           3,452,455 USD           3,197,921

Basketball   NDSU           1,060,291 SDSU              962,049 UND           1,088,751 USD              926,778

Golf   NDSU              212,801 SDSU              185,196 UND              164,263 USD              171,786

Soccer   NDSU              566,590 SDSU              489,120 UND              500,194 USD              399,835

Volleyball   NDSU              676,828 SDSU              407,265 UND              646,287 USD              542,269

Softball   NDSU              677,989 SDSU              455,473 UND              468,635 USD              429,907

All Track Combined   NDSU              675,348 SDSU              481,052 UND              584,325 USD              727,346

I admit to being totally uninformed on this subject and have questions...

Big Sky schools are planning to offer 18 Full Cost of Attendance stipends to each gender men and women?

UND will offer the same - 18 stipends?

If UND allocates all these stipends on the men's side to hockey, it seems that UND will be behind not only the other Dakota schools, but also the Big Sky schools in the other men's sports -football and mbb, who will be able to offer the stipends to athletes in the other sports that UND will be ignoring with these stipends?

Am I missing something here?

I guess you could say softball might be funded at a different level but I don't see a real funding difference by NDSU to rationalize a completely different approach for meeting Title IX.  

Here are the number for all womens sports shared by the Dakota schools. 

Total   NDSU           3,869,847 SDSU           2,980,155 UND           3,452,455 USD           3,197,921 

Basketball   NDSU           1,060,291 SDSU              962,049 UND           1,088,751 USD              926,778

Golf   NDSU              212,801 SDSU              185,196 UND              164,263 USD              171,786

Soccer   NDSU              566,590 SDSU              489,120 UND              500,194 USD              399,835

Volleyball   NDSU              676,828 SDSU              407,265 UND              646,287 USD              542,269

Softball   NDSU              677,989 SDSU              455,473 UND              468,635 USD              429,907

All Track Combined   NDSU              675,348 SDSU              481,052 UND              584,325 USD              727,346

So, where does the increased cost of travel due to being Big Sky conference members show up?

dakota:

The 18 is the number of mens hockey scholarships. UND has said they will do those FCOA to stay competitive in DI hockey.

The BSC has said nothing so far beyond it's expensive.

UND would need to have 18 FCOA for women to match those for men, but where would they apply them (WBB?, VB?) is the question.

dakota:

The 18 is the number of mens hockey scholarships. UND has said they will do those FCOA to stay competitive in DI hockey.

The BSC has said nothing so far beyond it's expensive.

UND would need to have 18 FCOA for women to match those for men, but where would they apply them (WBB?, VB?) is the question.

Thanks Sica

I agree but it is wishful thinking regardless of circumstances unfortunately.

Not directed you, but I hear over and over that womens hockey is untouchable.  Why is that the case?  I understand Title IX, but it seems to me that if the appropriate number of mens sports/scholarships were cut at the same time, it could be done.  From what I hear, womens hockey is terribly expensive and the biggest drain on the athletic department.  At some point, it seems like someone who is serious would have to take a look at it.  I bet people thought football at UNO was untouchable at one time.  But the bottom line is the bottom line.  Also, it seems like its just a matter of time before someone realizes baseball doesn't make much sense at UND.  It will never be competitive at the DI level, UND's primary conference doesn't sponsor it, and few people attend games or follow the program.

UND is in a perilous position because it has already committed 18+18 FCOA for hockey -- a problem most of UND's competitors don't have to deal with. Once NDSU and others at the FCS level announce FCOA for football, it will be a game changer.   UND will have to do something to stay competitive while balancing the books. 

• Upvote 3

Not directed you, but I hear over and over that womens hockey is untouchable.  Why is that the case?  I understand Title IX, but it seems to me that if the appropriate number of mens sports/scholarships were cut at the same time, it could be done.  From what I hear, womens hockey is terribly expensive and the biggest drain on the athletic department.  At some point, it seems like someone who is serious would have to take a look at it.  I bet people thought football at UNO was untouchable at one time.  But the bottom line is the bottom line.  Also, it seems like its just a matter of time before someone realizes baseball doesn't make much sense at UND.  It will never be competitive at the DI level, UND's primary conference doesn't sponsor it, and few people attend games or follow the program.

UND is in a perilous position because it has already committed 18+18 FCOA for hockey -- a problem most of UND's competitors don't have to deal with. Once NDSU and others at the FCS level announce FCOA for football, it will be a game changer.   UND will have to do something to stay competitive while balancing the books. 

Is it a potential Title IX problem, or just a potential PR problem? As I see it, so long as schools such as Bemidji St., SCSU, Mankato and Duluth are funding programs, it might be tough to make the case that UND can't do the same. From what I've been able to gather, the problem might be that UND is spending at or above the levels of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Where is the money going exactly? The women's WCHA is essentially a bus league (other than Ohio St.), and Idalski isn't being paid as much as the Minnesota or Wisconsin coaches.

OK, I just looked at roster sizes and got surprised.

Baseball - 30

M S&D - 23

W S&D - 28

W IH - 23

Nearly identical M (53) v. W (51). But if you dropped all those, you'd have make sure you reallocated the funds to stay in compliance with Title IX. FB and MBB would see some help, as the budget for MBase and MS&D aren't exactly big; WBB and VB and WSoc would make out like bandits (from the prior WIH funds). 

So the folks looking to help UND FB and UND MBB, this creates the panacea exactly ... how? Is it worth the firestorm it would create because any time a school breathes the words "drop sport" a firestorm erupts. 

OK, I just looked at roster sizes and got surprised.

Baseball - 30

M S&D - 23

W S&D - 28

W IH - 23

Nearly identical M (53) v. W (51). But if you dropped all those, you'd have make sure you reallocated the funds to stay in compliance with Title IX. FB and MBB would see some help, as the budget for MBase and MS&D aren't exactly big; WBB and VB and WSoc would make out like bandits (from the prior WIH funds). 

So the folks looking to help UND FB and UND MBB, this creates the panacea exactly ... how? Is it worth the firestorm it would create because any time a school breathes the words "drop sport" a firestorm erupts. 

I think it would be well worth it.  I'm on board for any way possible to divert more funds toward FB, MBB, WBB, and VB.  Of the 21 sports that UND offers, there are only 5 that have the opportunity to either generate revenue or break even.  Time to trim the fat.

What is the point of having women's hockey anywhere? UMD spent $1.54 million on the sport and it had revenues of $140k, a $1.4 million hit. How can any school, especially one that size be ok with that? Obviously based on recent articles I've seen they aren't. Minnesota lost $1.8 million and Wisconsin $1.2 million, at least they have massive budgets but still with FCOA they will take even bigger hits. Spending over a $1 million on a sport that doesn't even have its title game on TV is absolutely insane to me. 

You could cut the sport and fund FCOA across the board. 

• Upvote 4

I think it would be well worth it.  I'm on board for any way possible to divert more funds toward FB, MBB, WBB, and VB.  Of the 21 sports that UND offers, there are only 5 that have the opportunity to either generate revenue or break even.  Time to trim the fat.

Well if you're looking at potential revenue sports ... why not lacrosse*? :D 

They could play in the new ITF. It is being build with seating for 1500 or so. ;) 

*Y'all knew I could only hold out and not say it for so long. 

• Upvote 1

Well if you're looking at potential revenue sports ... why not lacrosse*? :D

They could play in the new ITF. It is being build with seating for 1500 or so. ;)

*Y'all knew I could only hold out and not say it for so long. 

See how much Denver spends on lacrosse and that should give you an idea how much it's going to cost.

Is it a potential Title IX problem, or just a potential PR problem? As I see it, so long as schools such as Bemidji St., SCSU, Mankato and Duluth are funding programs, it might be tough to make the case that UND can't do the same. From what I've been able to gather, the problem might be that UND is spending at or above the levels of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Where is the money going exactly? The women's WCHA is essentially a bus league (other than Ohio St.), and Idalski isn't being paid as much as the Minnesota or Wisconsin coaches.

I don't think it's a Title IX problem.  That could be managed relatively easily as part of an overall trimming of sports offerings.  I agree that it is perceived as this insurmountable PR problem.  It's pretty clear that nothing will happen to womens hockey under the current AD, but I hope once the new AD comes in, he will take a serious look at dropping the sport.  Womens hockey gets Grade A coverage from Schlossman at the Herald, is second to none in terms of funding, plays in a beautiful facility, had two local superstars come through the program, and yet it still doesn't draw flies.  It is a non-revenue sport with a revenue sport budget.  It is not sustainable. 

Neither Bemidji, SCSU, Mankato, or Duluth are comparable.  None of them are DI, they have none of the costs associated with FCS football, and none will have to deal with FCOA for their football programs.  Minnesota, Ohio State, and Wisconsin are also not similarly situated because they have enormous overall budgets that can absorb the huge losses associated with womens hockey.  

Why drop women's hockey?

It is the second most successful team sport on campus.

Drop men's basketball first! They suck!

Are you drinker then me? It loses 1.4million per year

It barley makes the tourney

Women's vball and bball lose less and bball has been in march madness.

Cut women's hockey