SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Athlete Stipends

nodak651

That's seems like selective reading to me.  They are proving the FCOA immediately where they will run up against it.  It clearly states that for now they will only do 36.  It also states that they will continue to monitor it.  

Honestly, if the funds where there, I can't imagine a scenario where UND doesn't declare they are doing it across the board immediately.  They aren't trying to save money in some offshore bank account, they are trying to not bankrupt the department.  As much as I hate to see it, I would support cutting 1-2 programs if necessary.  UND sponsors 21 different teams, a good percentage higher than its peer schools.

I firmly believe that men's hockey is the only place we need to fund, plus the Title IX equivalent.   Maybe everyone will lose their nerve on funding football when they see what it costs.   Paying for 126 COA's won't be cheap, and I just don't see how we can afford this.    If we could charge more for tickets, I suspect we'd be doing it already, and it's not fair to put more on the backs of those already paying, meaning fans and Champion Club members.

Go with hockey and see how everything else shakes out.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I firmly believe that men's hockey is the only place we need to fund, plus the Title IX equivalent.   Maybe everyone will lose their nerve on funding football when they see what it costs.   Paying for 126 COA's won't be cheap, and I just don't see how we can afford this.    If we could charge more for tickets, I suspect we'd be doing it already, and it's not fair to put more on the backs of those already paying, meaning fans and Champion Club members.

If we pay COA's for football, we would almost immediately become a top 20 FCS team.  We would eventually start selling out the Alerus again, and football would pay for itself.  

It takes money to make money.

• Upvote 2

$4,000  (est. COFA) x 188 student athletes = $752,000

Using GFhockeys math with tickets we are already at $750,000. 

188 student athletes would be enough for MH (18), MBB (13), FB (63), WBB (13), VB, (13), WHY (18) and then a combination womens soccer, track, softball & golf.

Doing this for VB, WBB, FB and MBB would put those programs at the top of the Big Sky conference as far as competitive advantage goes. Pretty soon those programs would would be playing in postseason very frequently and revenue would follow. 

Back in 2003 a lot people thought NDSU was crazy when they moved to D1 when UND was much better across the board. I say it's time to reverse the trend of UND being a follower and be a leader in this movement. If we are going to end up doing it anyways we might as well get a jump on everyone else. 

• Upvote 1

$4,000  (est. COFA) x 188 student athletes = $752,000

Using GFhockeys math with tickets we are already at $750,000. 

188 student athletes would be enough for MH (18), MBB (13), FB (63), WBB (13), VB, (13), WHY (18) and then a combination womens soccer, track, softball & golf.

Doing this for VB, WBB, FB and MBB would put those programs at the top of the Big Sky conference as far as competitive advantage goes. Pretty soon those programs would would be playing in postseason very frequently and revenue would follow. 

Back in 2003 a lot people thought NDSU was crazy when they moved to D1 when UND was much better across the board. I say it's time to reverse the trend of UND being a follower and be a leader in this movement. If we are going to end up doing it anyways we might as well get a jump on everyone else. 

Your current COA is $5810.

Doesn't UND use the proportion prong of Title IX? I think you could figure out a way around it if you wanted but it may require as you say cutting a men's sport.

I was going to say, NDSU is so far out of compliance with Title IX its ridiculous. Why are we worried about it?

• Upvote 1

What if und went against the big sky's wishes and offered fcoa in football, mbb, wbb, could it be grounds for dismissal?

Doubt it, and hopefully WBB will be getting it this year. If they are the only ones in the league Brew will clean up.

Not to turn this into a MVFC/Summit vs. Big Sky talk, but with all this FCOA talk going on it makes even more sense for UND and NDSU to be in the same conference anyways. I bet NDSU makes an extra $400,000-$500,000 in tickets/donations this year from the UND - NDSU FB game and if they were in the same conference they and UND would get that every other year, plus a home VB, MBB, and WBB home game every year. Those games would also be conference games so they would mean a whole lot more. 

That right there could be an extra $600,000-$700,000 every two years in extra ticket revenue with most coming from the football games and the donations and tickets that come with it. 

Conferences won't come out against it, they aren't going to stick their necks out and risk a lawsuit.

trust me if und were the only big sky school to, as some on here say be proactive, there are plenty of other big sky presidents and ad's who would be picking up the phone to the commish! prior to the belief on here some schools in the sky view traveling to grand forks as big a drain as fcoa on budgets.

Doubt it, and hopefully WBB will be getting it this year. If they are the only ones in the league Brew will clean up.

Not to turn this into a MVFC/Summit vs. Big Sky talk, but with all this FCOA talk going on it makes even more sense for UND and NDSU to be in the same conference anyways. I bet NDSU makes an extra $400,000-$500,000 in tickets/donations this year from the UND - NDSU FB game and if they were in the same conference they and UND would get that every other year, plus a home VB, MBB, and WBB home game every year. Those games would also be conference games so they would mean a whole lot more. 

That right there could be an extra $600,000-$700,000 every two years in extra ticket revenue with most coming from the football games and the donations and tickets that come with it.

for und, not ndsu

trust me if und were the only big sky school to, as some on here say be proactive, there are plenty of other big sky presidents and ad's who would be picking up the phone to the commish! prior to the belief on here some schools in the sky view traveling to grand forks as big a drain as fcoa on budgets.

Trust me, you continue to show how clueless you are. But go on, please explain the basis for your brilliant thoughts.

for und, not ndsu

Oh really that extra amount NDSU is charging for the UND football game won't bring in extra revenue? Also, I heard only teammakers get to purchase single game tickets this year. Funny that happens with the UND game on the schedule. The game sponsorships for that game will sell for double or triple other games. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the UND games the highest priced basketball tickets?

NDSU will make a lot more with that game on the schedule than they would've otherwise. Your not very intelligent if you don't see that.

• Upvote 1

And how would that conversation go?

Trust me, you continue to show how clueless you are. But go on, please explain the basis for your brilliant thoughts.

who is your travel partner in the big sky to off set some travel costs for non revenue sports? It is expensive to travel for a one game series instead of offsetting costs of two series in say two or three days.

Oh really that extra amount NDSU is charging for the UND football game won't bring in extra revenue? Also, I heard only teammakers get to purchase single game tickets this year. Funny that happens with the UND game on the schedule. The game sponsorships for that game will sell for double or triple other games. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the UND games the highest priced basketball tickets?

NDSU will make a lot more with that game on the schedule than they would've otherwise. Your not very intelligent if you don't see that.

an extra 5$ a ticket @ 19000 tickets does not equal 600 to 700,000$ every other year

I don't understand why UND isn't taking the lead on this. They are only going to offer FCOA for mens and womens hockey? Doesn't show much regard for your other sports IMO. Is Faison afraid you cant raise the funds? Makes no sense to me why you would want to play catch up.