SiouxSports.com Forum

1980's Class B Basketball

MafiaMan

Gulseth was recruited by Dale Brown to come to Baton Rouge and play for LSU. Didn't end up being a fit, he came back home to UND and y'all know the rest...

I don't know who Scott Gulseth is, but if he was as good as Scott Guldseth from Edinburg, he must have been one heckofa player!

It was 1979. I think I had Larimore in my mind due to Eddie Beyer coaching in region 2. To finish the story, Eddie asked my buddy Pete Jahner how Linton would be in 1984 and Pete says they should be pretty good and Coach Beyer said he should have a good crop that year as well. So they bet  that if they happened to meet in 84 that the loser owed the other a coke....so sure enough Linton(my former residence) and Hillsboro(my birthplace) meet in the state tourney and Linton narrowly wins and would eventually win the state title a couple nights later. After the game, Ed Beyer walks into Linton locker room and congratulates Dan Carr and their team, looks at Dennis Beck and just shakes his head and turns and hands Pete a coke.

Did Beck just wreck his team? I remember that guy being a beast down low.

Possibly....but if not for the Divide County coach's poor decisions, they could have easily had none. :ohmy:

My memory of that particular game is pretty hazy, but I do remember the personnel fairly well. Divide County had the Stefonowicz brothers (I played on an intramural team for a few years with Devon at UND) and Scott (or was it Shane?) Molander. In addition to Guldseth, Edinburg actually had four other athletes good enough to have played a sport in college (including the father of the Fargo South RB headed to Minnesota), but no bench at all. Guldseth was just so much better than everybody else, and with a more-than-competent supporting cast, beating them was a very tall task. Hats off to Starkweather for pulling it off in 1987.

Strasburg Clippers...Hurdsfield Stags...Forman Phantoms...Tuttle Trojans...Pettibone Warriors...

Woodworth and Robinson have been closed for a long time now. I had friends who graduated in a class of FIVE in 1988 from Robinson High School. They were already known then as the W-P-R (Woodworth-Pettibone-Robinson) Wolfpack. I don't know what nicknames Robinson and Woodworth had prior to then.

Best HS BB player in ND that I have ever seen.  In that era Brian Buhr of Page was tremendous.  Best pure shooter I played against in that same time frame...Monty Lund of Ray.  Best overall HS athlete...Pete Erickson of Kenmare.

Buhr was talented. I think he played at NDSU for a year or so, but I have no idea what became of him after that.

http://www.northdakotapreps.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4945

This was very helpful...and interesting. Third post from the top - Karlsruhe Tigers. School apparently closed around 1986. The Tigers made the 1985 tournament.

Don't know why I didn't see them right there in old District 14. Doyle Plecity was head coach that year and they were lead by Terry Keller and Darren Leier. Towner was top dog in the conference making state in 83-84 and still had Kevin Bohl in 84-85. I'm guessing those teams butted heads a few times that year...

This goes back a ways, but my old school, the Ellendale Cardinals, prevented Kenmare from getting a three-peat by beating them 63-49 in the championship game of the 1967 State Tournament. They ran the table that season, going 28-0. I had the privilege of playing with those guys up until two years prior.

Kenmare came to Des Lacs for a game back in the early 80s and I believe Pete Erickson was an 8th grader, playing on their C squad or 8th/9th grade team. He went up and blocked a guys shot was called for goaltending...I don't think he was even 6 feet tall yet but man did have some ups.

My earliest memory of watching the tournament was 1979 with the Halliday Wolverines squaring off against the Sargent Central Cadets in the title game. Also saw the Hettinger Black Devils and that great 1983 team - Bill Butterfield and Teddy Uecker became legends in that tournament.

Trying to think of other great teams and nicknames from that era...

McVille...can't recall tournament year or nickname.

Grenora Gophers...I think finished 3rd one year...remember a big guy with glasses getting a dunk in a game.

Starkweather Storm Kings - awesome nickname.

Center Wildcats - Brad Johnson was an absolute beast in 1987 or 1988 as they faced off against Glen Ullin in the regional title game (they were from the same district). Just could not beat the Rattlers though.

Vague memories of a Region 8 tournament where Richardton and Taylor were both playing - but not as a combined team. Taylor was the Redbirds and Richardton was the Rebels (another great nickname). That had to have beem late 1970's as well. Ate at Godfather's Pizza in Dickinson when the game was over. Yum.

McVille Blackhawk's I believe it was 82. They had played Crary Cardinal's in District 8 regular season play and lost District 8 championship game to them but Beat them in the Region Chapionship Game for the right to go to state. Took 3rd place that season.

McVille Blackhawk's I believe it was 82. They had played Crary Cardinal's in District 8 regular season play and lost District 8 championship game to them but Beat them in the Region Chapionship Game for the right to go to state. Took 3rd place that season.

Mark Sand was best player. Fouled out in the first half of opening round game.