SiouxSports.com Forum

1980's Class B Basketball

MafiaMan

A great piece of Trivia, Mafia Man!

Ah yes, those "challenge games". Hard to believe that a team that went through the backdoor made it all the way to the 1986 State Class "B" Championship Game.

Belfield had lost to South Heart I believe 3 times that season. New England had beaten Belfield already that season as well (I think 2 times) and upset the Bantams in the District 29 semi-final game. The Bantams had to rely on the Tigers to take down the Eagles of South Heart in the championship game. New England had lost 2 times to SHHS - by 10 points or more both times. You know the rest - Shawn Flaherty coaches the Tigers to the District 29 title - after being picked in the pre-season poll to finish LAST - and Belfield beats South Heart two nights later in the Challenge Game. By 30.

Totally forgot about those two schools.  Man, the whole face of Class B in North Dakota has changed.

Yeah, my old District 22 of Des Lacs-Burlington, Berthold, Surrey, Sawyer, Velva, and Granville is long gone...Deering even managed to have a team up to 1984 I believe.

Yeah, my old District 22 of Des Lacs-Burlington, Berthold, Surrey, Sawyer, Velva, and Granville is long gone...Deering even managed to have a team up to 1984 I believe.

Interestingly, with the exception of Deering, there is still a high school in every one of those towns.  Granville is part of TGU, though, and does not field it's own sports teams.  My old district, 24, is down to 3 teams:  Mohall, Kenmare, and Glenburn, out of the original 8.

Interestingly, with the exception of Deering, there is still a high school in every one of those towns.  Granville is part of TGU, though, and does not field it's own sports teams.  My old district, 24, is down to 3 teams:  Mohall, Kenmare, and Glenburn, out of the original 8.

No more Sherwood or Lansford?

My earliest memory of watching the tournament was 1979 with the Halliday Wolverines squaring off against the Sargent Central Cadets in the title game. Also saw the Hettinger Black Devils and that great 1983 team - Bill Butterfield and Teddy Uecker became legends in that tournament.

Trying to think of other great teams and nicknames from that era...

McVille...can't recall tournament year or nickname.

Grenora Gophers...I think finished 3rd one year...remember a big guy with glasses getting a dunk in a game.

Starkweather Storm Kings - awesome nickname.

Center Wildcats - Brad Johnson was an absolute beast in 1987 or 1988 as they faced off against Glen Ullin in the regional title game (they were from the same district). Just could not beat the Rattlers though.

Vague memories of a Region 8 tournament where Richardton and Taylor were both playing - but not as a combined team. Taylor was the Redbirds and Richardton was the Rebels (another great nickname). That had to have beem late 1970's as well. Ate at Godfather's Pizza in Dickinson when the game was over. Yum.

ok...so Carpio was the Cardinals, Donnybrook was the Hi-Liners, what was Tolley?

Tigers. Played in what was literally a Quonset attached to the school. So narrow the three point line didn't extend to the baseline. I think Tolley last had team in 86, Donnybrook in 87, Lansford in 90, and Carpio in 91 (know that one for sure). I think Sherwood survived until the late 90's/early 2000's.

Rhame had the same thing as above but also had 3 half court lines. One was a ten second line and after that was crossed your half court violation moved back to near the other free throw line.

Tough gym to play in and they were also a Region 8 team that had some outstanding teams in the 90s.

My earliest memory of watching the tournament was 1979 with the Halliday Wolverines squaring off against the Sargent Central Cadets in the title game. Also saw the Hettinger Black Devils and that great 1983 team - Bill Butterfield and Teddy Uecker became legends in that tournament.

Grenora Gophers...I think finished 3rd one year...remember a big guy with glasses getting a dunk in a game.

Center Wildcats - Brad Johnson was an absolute beast in 1987 or 1988 as they faced off against Glen Ullin in the regional title game (they were from the same district). Just could not beat the Rattlers though.

Vague memories of a Region 8 tournament where Richardton and Taylor were both playing - but not as a combined team. Taylor was the Redbirds and Richardton was the Rebels (another great nickname). That had to have beem late 1970's as well. Ate at Godfather's Pizza in Dickinson when the game was over. Yum.

I believe this was discussed before but that Halliday team had Marlon Bell, Wes Wasem, and Shoate Little Soldier on it. They looked so good in the semi's and really struggled in the final. Mafia, didn't you have the inside story on this one?

Those Edmore teams in the early 80s had some good players...Mark Melland? and Brent Viger were a couple of big boys for the Vikings...they were pretty much unstoppable in the low post. Viger, by the way, was an outstanding baseball player (drafted by the Cincy Reds I believe) and could absolutely crush a softball...he once knocked out the opposing third basemen with a line drive; luckily the guy got his glove in front of his face or it would have been much worse.

Bowman, Hettinger, Scranton, Rhame, and Reeder in that SW corner...the Reeder Rockets had a great team in the early 1990's too. They closed the school after the 2nd of the back-to-back state tournament appearances.

Also saw Anamoose and Medina making appearances in that time. Edmore...Kindred (Komets?), Munich (Magicians?), Karlsruhe (?) and Steele before it became the Steele-Dawson Pirates. Don't know what Steele and Dawson were separately before the merger.

Also, the Almont Eagles were around before they became the New Salem-Almont Holsteins.

I believe this was discussed before but that Halliday team had Marlon Bell, Wes Wasem, and Shoate Little Soldier on it. They looked so good in the semi's and really struggled in the final. Mafia, didn't you have the inside story on this one?

Those Edmore teams in the early 80s had some good players...Mark Melland? and Brent Viger were a couple of big boys for the Vikings...they were pretty much unstoppable in the low post. Viger, by the way, was an outstanding baseball player (drafted by the Cincy Reds I believe) and could absolutely crush a softball...he once knocked out the opposing third basemen with a line drive; luckily the guy got his glove in front of his face or it would have been much worse.

Not sure if I related story on this our not, but the previous year, Larimore beat what had looked like an unbeatable Halliday team in the title game. My best friend from Linton and I(I had moved to Bismarck 2 years earlier) were given rides to the games by Hillsboro coach Eddie Beyer(family friend) and lost friendly bet on title game. Long story, short....Ed Beyer had inside information as to the condition of the Halliday team due to their activities on Friday night.

If I remember, Marlon Bell went to BJC to play hoops, threw in around 25-30 a game up until first semester grades came out and was never heard from again.

Bowman, Hettinger, Scranton, Rhame, and Reeder in that SW corner...the Reeder Rockets had a great time in the early 1990's too. They closed the school after the 2nd of the back-to-back state tournament appearances.

Also saw Anamoose and Medina making appearances in that time. Edmore...Kindred (Komets?), Munich (Magicians?), Karlsruhe (?) and Steele before it became the Steele-Dawson Pirates. Don't know what Steele and Dawson were separately before the merger.

Also, the Almont Eagles were around before they became the New Salem-Almont Holsteins.

Kindred Vikings...I could not find Karlsruhe listed in my book...

Not sure if I related story on this our not, but the previous year, Larimore beat what had looked like an unbeatable Halliday team in the title game. My best friend from Linton and I(I had moved to Bismarck 2 years earlier) were given rides to the games by Hillsboro coach Eddie Beyer(family friend) and lost friendly bet on title game. Long story, short....Ed Beyer had inside information as to the condition of the Halliday team due to their activities on Friday night.

If I remember, Marlon Bell went to BJC to play hoops, threw in around 25-30 a game up until first semester grades came out and was never heard from again.

Yup, that's the story I was looking for...thanks. After doing a little research i see that Larimore played Belfield in 78, and Sargent Central beat Halliday in 79... I think I may be "mis-remembering" some of these games...So did Marlon Bell play for Belfield or Halliday?

I still think Scott Guldseth and Edinburg would have won back-to-back titles in 1987 and 1988 if it hadn't been for the huge upset by Starkweather in the 1987 regional.

I still think Scott Guldseth and Edinburg would have won back-to-back titles in 1987 and 1988 if it hadn't been for the huge upset by Starkweather in the 1987 regional.

Best HS BB player in ND that I have ever seen.  In that era Brian Buhr of Page was tremendous.  Best pure shooter I played against in that same time frame...Monty Lund of Ray.  Best overall HS athlete...Pete Erickson of Kenmare.

Couldn't have been Halliday in 1978 - the Wolverines lost the 1979 title game to Sargent Central. In 1978, the Larimore Polar Bears defeated the Belfield Bantams in the state championship game. Halliday wasn't even in the 1978 tournament - Region 7 was represented by the New Town Eagles.

I could not find Karlsruhe listed in my book...

Really? They were in the 1984-1985 state tournament. I found that they lost to the Hazen Bison in the 3rd place game.

Town population hovered around 150 in those days. I actually remember that name in the state tournament - Epping 2.0?

Yup, that's the story I was looking for...thanks. After doing a little research i see that Larimore played Belfield in 78, and Sargent Central beat Halliday in 79... I think I may be "mis-remembering" some of these games...So did Marlon Bell play for Belfield or Halliday?

You are right. I had my title games turned around but marlon Bell played for Halliday.

Possibly....but if not for the Divide County coach's poor decisions, they could have easily had none. :ohmy:

You are right. I had my title games turned around but marlon Bell played for Halliday.

Bell played for Halliday, correct. Belfield basketba at that time revolved around the Altenburg brothers, Mike, Ron, and Steve, if memory serves me right.

Was your Ed Beyer story about the 1978 game or 1979? Belfield got waxed pretty good by the Polar Bears in '78.

I think the biggest "what if" team would be the Lamoure Loboes in 75 and 76....In 76, they went undefeated and walked through the state tournament without really being challenged.(I am pretty sure they won every game by double digits if not 20 points or more). I believe in 75, they were undefeated until the regional semi final or final when Fullerton who they had beaten 2 or 3 times that season took the air out of the ball and beat them something like 22-18 to advance to the state tourney.

Bell played for Halliday, correct. Belfield basketba at that time revolved around the Altenburg brothers, Mike, Ron, and Steve, if memory serves me right.

Was your Ed Beyer story about the 1978 game or 1979? Belfield got waxed pretty good by the Polar Bears in '78.

It was 1979. I think I had Larimore in my mind due to Eddie Beyer coaching in region 2. To finish the story, Eddie asked my buddy Pete Jahner how Linton would be in 1984 and Pete says they should be pretty good and Coach Beyer said he should have a good crop that year as well. So they bet  that if they happened to meet in 84 that the loser owed the other a coke....so sure enough Linton(my former residence) and Hillsboro(my birthplace) meet in the state tourney and Linton narrowly wins and would eventually win the state title a couple nights later. After the game, Ed Beyer walks into Linton locker room and congratulates Dan Carr and their team, looks at Dennis Beck and just shakes his head and turns and hands Pete a coke.

Best HS BB player in ND that I have ever seen.  In that era Brian Buhr of Page was tremendous.  Best pure shooter I played against in that same time frame...Monty Lund of Ray.  Best overall HS athlete...Pete Erickson of Kenmare.

Gulseth was recruited by Dale Brown to come to Baton Rouge and play for LSU.  Didn't end up being a fit, he came back home to UND and y'all know the rest...