SiouxSports.com Forum

1980's Class B Basketball

MafiaMan

Hey Blackheart, was that the 1985 ND Hoopster that you have?

What other good scoops do you have in that issue? I'm curious as to what all the districts in Region 8 looked like back then.

District 29:

Beach Buccaneers

Belfield Bantams

Golva Tigers

South Heart Eagles

New England Tigers

New England St Mary's Saints

Hey Blackheart, was that the 1985 ND Hoopster that you have?

What other good scoops do you have in that issue? I'm curious as to what all the districts in Region 8 looked like back then.

District 29:

Beach Buccaneers

Belfield Bantams

Golva Tigers

South Heart Eagles

New England Tigers

New England St Mary's Saints

Mine is the 1984-85 preview.

Here are their predictions:

District 29

New England

St Mary's of New England

South Heart

Belfield

Beach

Golva

District 30

Glen Ullin

Richardton-Taylor

New Salem

Hebron

Center

District 31

Standing Rock

Flasher

Elgin

New Leipzig

Carson

Selfridge

St Gertrude's

Solen

District 32

Bowman

Mott

Hettinger

Reeder

Regent

Scranton

Rhame

Region 8 Predictions

Bowman

Glen Ullin

Richardton-Taylor

New England

St Mary's of New England

Mott

Standing Rock

Flasher

Mine is the 1984-85 preview.

Here are their predictions:

District 29

New England

St Mary's of New England

South Heart

Belfield

Beach

Golva

New England - still open

St Mary's of New England - closed

South Heart - co-op with Belfield

Belfield - co-op with South Heart

Beach - still open

Golva - closed

6 teams down to 3.

New England - still open

St Mary's of New England - closed

South Heart - co-op with Belfield

Belfield - co-op with South Heart

Beach - still open

Golva - closed

6 teams down to 3.

Totally forgot about those two schools.  Man, the whole face of Class B in North Dakota has changed. 

1985 Region 8 Title Game was a doozy between New England Public and Glen Ullin.  All I remember is how packed Scott Gym was and how my ears rang for hours afterwards.  57-55 on a late layup for the Tigers.  There were high hopes that they'd leave their mark on the State Tournament but they finished 8th.

1986 Region 8 Title Game was a shootout with the Belfield Bantams upsetting the highly regarded Glen Ullin Rattlers.  74-72 lights out night at Dickinson High.

The following year, 1987, Glen Ullin finally made it to state as the Region Champs but were paired up in the 1st round against May-Port.  The Patriots were #1 in state with Glen Ullin #2 but by virtue of the way the pairings were drawn up you essentially had the state title in the quarterfinals; a game May-Port won.

1985 Region 8 Title Game was a doozy between New England Public and Glen Ullin.  All I remember is how packed Scott Gym was and how my ears rang for hours afterwards.  57-55 on a late layup for the Tigers.  There were high hopes that they'd leave their mark on the State Tournament but they finished 8th.

1986 Region 8 Title Game was a shootout with the Belfield Bantams upsetting the highly regarded Glen Ullin Rattlers.  74-72 lights out night at Dickinson High.

The following year, 1987, Glen Ullin finally made it to state as the Region Champs but were paired up in the 1st round against May-Port.  The Patriots were #1 in state with Glen Ullin #2 but by virtue of the way the pairings were drawn up you essentially had the state title in the quarterfinals; a game May-Port won.

Was that a Ben Jacobsen buzzer beater if I'm remembering correctly?

Langdon took down Cavalier (Todd Olson) in regional in '85....they had a guy named Andy Dosman guarding Olson from the time he got off the bus until games end...they called him the Giant Killer or something similar as he held Olson below his usual numbers. Of course having guys like Romfo and Waslaski helped.

1986 Region 8 Title Game was a shootout with the Belfield Bantams upsetting the highly regarded Glen Ullin Rattlers. 74-72 lights out night at Dickinson High.

BHS had lost to New England four times that season - and watched Glen Ullin absolutely demolish the Tigers by I believe 40 in the semi-finals. Jeff Meissner missed a half-court shot at the buzzer (off the back of the iron - 2" shorter and it would have been a 3-point swish for the victory). Glen Ullin instead lost its 1st game of the season. I've never seen a team and half of a gym vacate the premises so fast. The fans were absolutely stunned.

Also of interest:

Q) How did Belfield even get into the Region 8 tournament that year?

A) The District 29 "Challenge Game."

Langdon took down Cavalier (Todd Olson) in regional in '85....they had a guy named Andy Dosman guarding Olson from the time he got off the bus until games end...they called him the Giant Killer or something similar as he held Olson below his usual numbers. Of course having guys like Romfo and Waslaski helped.

Charlie went box-and-one that night.   

BHS had lost to New England four times that season - and watched Glen Ullin absolutely demolish the Tigers by I believe 40 in the semi-finals. Jeff Meissner missed a half-court shot at the buzzer (off the back of the iron - 2" shorter and it would have been a 3-point swish for the victory). Glen Ullin instead lost its 1st game of the season. I've never seen a team and half of a gym vacate the premises so fast. The fans were absolutely stunned.

Of the Glen Ullin teams we are talking about that '85-'86 was their best...and IMO in the state that year as well. Belfield just pulled a Villanova over G'town that night.

Of the Glen Ullin teams we are talking about that '85-'86 was the best...and in the state that year as well. Belfield pulled a Villanova over G'town that night.

Having personally witnessed them during that time-frame, I'd concur. That 1985-1986 GU team was a juggernaut. Coach Jim Schroeder of Belfield was starting 4 seniors and 1 junior that season. Sometime in the middle of the year he replaced one of the seniors with junior big man Steve "Cheese" Burger. Gutsy move - but it worked. Some great players on that Belfield team - shooting guard James Gawryluk, point guard Jimmy Grosulak, and forward Mike Shypkoski, to name a few. Gawryluk was the Region 8 title game hero, picking off a Rich Quintus pass and taking it down the court for a layup and a two-point lead late in the game.