SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 FCS Playoffs

UND-FB-FAN

Man, the reading of this thread btwn UND and NDSU.  Let's put it to rest; how many top level titles (D1A) has UND won vs number of top level titles won by NDSU?  Reminder, I'm not counting lower tier level titles such as D2 and D1-AA/FCS.  Believe UND is at 7 top level titles and NDSU is at how many?  Is it even one or at zero despite the Bison having been at D1 top level now for all sports (save for one sport) for 5 years longer than UND.   

• Upvote 1

Man, the reading of this thread btwn UND and NDSU. Let's put it to rest; how many top level titles (D1A) has UND won vs number of top level titles won by NDSU? Reminder, I'm not counting lower tier level titles such as D2 and D1-AA/FCS. Believe UND is at 7 top level titles and NDSU is at how many? Is it even one or at zero despite the Bison having been at D1 top level now for all sports (save for one sport) for 5 years longer than UND.

Why do people need to put down the FCS? UND is in the FCS, and if they win a NC in football I would not belittle that.

• Upvote 2

4 straight NCs......congrats to NDSU. Amazing feat.

UND will get is shot next September to see where they are at compared to the FCS's elite program. I for one am glad the game is on the schedule. Go UND!

No it wasn't. Just wanted to read through this for a good laugh. I know NDSU winning bothers you guys the most. Sitting with two SDSU alums right now and they were cheering for NDSU today.

Wonder if SDSU fans would ever cheer for USD? I would cheer for SDSU or USD over FU every time. Not sure where all the name calling comes from - once again another thread gone south. And actually FU winning doesn't bother me at all - I actually don't care either way - the game was on ESPN2 so it would have been hard to find anyway. 

Why do people need to put down the FCS? UND is in the FCS, and if they win a NC in football I would not belittle that.

This is it.

When UND wins a title no one will diminish it in any way. No need to do it now when those guys are winning them.

• Upvote 1

This is not the type of article I like to see on the GFHerald. It's not only Bubba that's got his work cut out for him but the whole Athletic Department as a whole needs to get to work selling UND athletics.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3652906-ndsu-fans-take-over-und-territory-fcs-championship

So two different sets of parents who live in or near Grand Forks and have kids attending NDSU come out to BWW and cheer on the Bison? Oh the horror!

UND football improved by leaps and bounds this season compared to last season. Yesterday's FCS title by NDSU doesn't change that.

Yes, UND has seemingly become the Michigan State-to-Michigan, UCLA-to-USC, or even Texas A&M-to-Texas of about 10 years ago in terms of being compared with NDSU, but where are those programs today? One could easily argue that in 2015, Michigan State, UCLA, and Texas A&M have now become the "it" schools within those respective comparisons.

Does anyone remember when Washington absolutely dominated the (then Pac-10) Pac-12 and Oregon was a slug program? How about the golden days of yore when Colorado was the beast of the Big 8/12? Tennessee and Florida as the kings of the SEC? Yea, things can change that easily and that quickly. The same thing can happen in the state of North Dakota. It seems impossible, but it is not. It can - and must - be done.

• Upvote 1

So two different sets of parents who live in or near Grand Forks and have kids attending NDSU come out to BWW and cheer on the Bison? Oh the horror!

UND football improved by leaps and bounds this season compared to last season. Yesterday's FCS title by NDSU doesn't change that.

Yes, UND has seemingly become the Michigan State-to-Michigan, UCLA-to-USC, or even Texas A&M-to-Texas of about 10 years ago in terms of being compared with NDSU, but where are those programs today? One could easily argue that in 2015, Michigan State, UCLA, and Texas A&M have now become the "it" schools within those respective comparisons.

Does anyone remember when Washington absolutely dominated the (then Pac-10) Pac-12 and Oregon was a slug program? How about the golden days of yore when Colorado was the beast of the Big 8/12? Tennessee and Florida as the kings of the SEC? Yea, things can change that easily and that quickly. The same thing can happen in the state of North Dakota. It seems impossible, but it is not. It can - and must - be done.

Or NDSU won a ton of NC's in the 80's and in 1990, but by the end of the decade was chasing UND for NCC titles as they remained without a home playoff game from 1994-1999. In 10 years NDSU dominated 3 years of that decade then the slide began and the coaches were getting fired.

Or NDSU won a ton of NC's in the 80's and in 1990, but by the end of the decade was chasing UND for NCC titles as they remained without a home playoff game from 1994-1999. In 10 years NDSU dominated 3 years of that decade then the slide began and the coaches were getting fired.

What I'm seeing here is one school has an expectation to win championships... The other has a goal of trying to be as good as the other. Two very different sets of goals.

old dominion, georgia southern, georgia state, florida atlantic, florida international, western kentucky, massachusetts, texas-san antonio, south alabama, texas state, and appalachian state would also disagree

These teams out of the FCS made the SU run possible and is making a mess out of FBS.

Man, the reading of this thread btwn UND and NDSU. Let's put it to rest; how many top level titles (D1A) has UND won vs number of top level titles won by NDSU? Reminder, I'm not counting lower tier level titles such as D2 and D1-AA/FCS. Believe UND is at 7 top level titles and NDSU is at how many? Is it even one or at zero despite the Bison having been at D1 top level now for all sports (save for one sport) for 5 years longer than UND.

Take this nonsense someplace else.

• Upvote 1

This is not the type of article I like to see on the GFHerald. It's not only Bubba that's got his work cut out for him but the whole Athletic Department as a whole needs to get to work selling UND athletics.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3652906-ndsu-fans-take-over-und-territory-fcs-championship

UND's athletic department and it's leadership (Faison) are the major issues for not only UND football, but also UND basketball, and even to a degree, the increase in support for NDSU athletics.

UND's athletic department lacks innovation and drive, but most importantly, it does very little to influence effective fundraising and alumni support. There's no reason phase II of the HPC should be on hold; that should be funded by now if Faison knew what he was doing and had made even half of the alumni relationships available to him excited in the direction of UND athletics.

What I'm seeing here is one school has an expectation to win championships... The other has a goal of trying to be as good as the other. Two very different sets of goals.

Six short seasons ago, which school would you rather be, Florida or Alabama? In August of 2009, Florida was coming off its 2nd national title in 3 seasons. Alabama hadn't won a national title since 1992. There is zero argument as to who is better today - but both schools still have the same goals.

I take nothing away from what NDSU has done. Four-time NCAA champions. That's incredible. But assuming that that's always going to be the way it is is simply silly.

• Upvote 1

UND's athletic department and it's leadership (Faison) are the major issues for not only UND football, but also UND basketball, and even to a degree, the increase in support for NDSU athletics.

UND's athletic department lacks innovation and drive, but most importantly, it does very little to influence effective fundraising and alumni support. There's no reason phase II of the HPC should be on hold; that should be funded by now if Faison knew what he was doing and had made even half of the alumni relationships available to him excited in the direction of UND athletics.

I agree about the Phase II. There was more than $106 million raised in the spirit campaign that from my understanding was donated, but not directed at anything specific. It can be spent based on priority decided on by leaders. I have sent a few emails wondering about priority of this project. It's time some pressure is put on Faison and Kelly to get serious about this project and get it done.

What sport does the average bandwagon UND fan follow??? #rhetorical #uphillbattle #classic

9:32 in the morning...on a Sunday...about 18 hours after the Bison win a 4th straight national football championship...and you're on SIOUXSPORTS.COM?

Sadly, I tend to agree with this.  It is unfortuante, but it seems to me that a there is a good contingent of North Dakota fans that would prefer to see its two arch rivals, NDSU & Minnesota fail, than they care to see UND succeed. 

Take for example this statement:

If we can't improve enough to get a spectacular win next year, say against NDSU or Wyoming, we need to at least be good enough to make the playoffs.   

I'm sorry, but in my eyes, making the playoffs to the national tournament is MORE important than some early regular season non-conference game.  It is like saying going 2-9 would be a successful season as long as one of the wins was against you know who.  Looking at the playoffs as a consolation prize is something I don't understand.

North Dakota fans need to set their bar a bit higher.

And congrats to NDSU.  4 straight is remarkable. 

Man, the reading of this thread btwn UND and NDSU.  Let's put it to rest; how many top level titles (D1A) has UND won vs number of top level titles won by NDSU?  Reminder, I'm not counting lower tier level titles such as D2 and D1-AA/FCS.  Believe UND is at 7 top level titles and NDSU is at how many?  Is it even one or at zero despite the Bison having been at D1 top level now for all sports (save for one sport) for 5 years longer than UND.   

#buthockey

What I'm seeing in that piece of history is how ones dynasty can fall into the hand of their rival in a matter of years not decades.

Six short seasons ago, which school would you rather be, Florida or Alabama? In August of 2009, Florida was coming off its 2nd national title in 3 seasons. Alabama hadn't won a national title since 1992. There is zero argument as to who is better today - but both schools still have the same goals.

I take nothing away from what NDSU has done. Four-time NCAA champions. That's incredible. But assuming that that's always going to be the way it is is simply silly.

A big difference is that Alabama fans probably look at that time between titles as this awful stretch of time.. And were willing to do anything to get back to that level of success.

Florida fans are probably happy competing for conference titles and beating on Fl St, UGA, and Tennessee.

They only interviewed two people. Do you live in GF? I've seen more NDSU gear, license plates etc in the last couple years than at anytime in my 20 years in GF.

I would be fine if we were the MSU to U of Michigan, etc. I just hope we don't become the Ohio-to-Ohio State, or the Idaho-to-Boise St. In comparison to NDSU.

A big difference is that Alabama fans probably look at that time between titles as this awful stretch of time.. And were willing to do anything to get back to that level of success.

Florida fans are probably happy competing for conference titles and beating on Fl St, UGA, and Tennessee.

You're kidding, right?

Comparing Florida to Alabama in terms of national succes/fan expectations is unfair.

Very few schools/fan bases are Alabama-like.

Alabama is 47-10-2 all-time against Ole Miss. Was Ole Miss' expectation this year to win the SEC and be one of the four finalists for the national championship? You bet it was.

The Crimson Tide is 23-14-1 against Florida all-time. I can assure you, Gator coaches, players, and fans expect to compete for national football championships the way that Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU do.

These teams out of the FCS made the SU run possible and is making a mess out of FBS.

You do realize that NDSU had to beat Georgia Southern, the most successful FCS program of all time, twice in the semi-finals, in order to win the first two national championships? App State and Georgia Southern were also in the FCS for the first three national championships. Besides Western Kentucky and UMASS, none of the other programs that you named ever played in the FCS national championship programs. Most of these teams are newly created football programs, were a joke in the FCS and are still a joke in the FBS. Not sure how them leaving made NDSU's run possible.

FCS is JV, FCS is a joke, FCS is watered down etc etc. If that is the case, what the hell is UND's excuse for being one of the most pathetic programs in the FCS and have not even sniffed the playoffs? Instead of being a big baby about NDSU's success, go buy season tickets for UND football and support your team. I would bet 90% of you guys on this site go to maybe one or two game a year. Pathetic support from your alumni  and fan base is what has made UND football what it is today. 

• Upvote 1