SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Air Force - US HALL OF FAME GAME

AZSIOUX

Wow, all this over the word "apply". Where I live is a "shall issue" conceiled carry state. When I filled out the paperwork for mine, did I "apply" (ask for something I didn't have, as in apply for a job) or merely complete the paperwork for what I was already qualified for?

Beyond that it's haggling over that word because the rest of the specs I mentioned are correct (<30%, none in second half of season). And yeah, the 2014-15 DI manual rearranged the section numbering, but not the criteria.

The point remains in this case MarkMac would be granted the fifth year. If he wouldn't no one ever could be under the rules and process as written and defined.

But most importantly, I'd rather have him recover quickly than have to mess around with process and committees.

The word apply is important because a hardship waiver is not 100% guaranteed (even though you seem to think it is).  There are several of examples of hardship waiver applications that have been denied.  Most have been for transfers because of family illness (Ty Isaac, Ahmad Starks).  Deon Clarke is an example of someone that had a medical hardship denied.  The point is that waivers have been denied even though they seem to completely meet the criteria for the waiver as listed in the NCAA manual.  UND has had its' own issues with the NCAA.  You can't assume that Mark would get the waiver even though his looks like it would be a text book case.

And more than likely you did apply for the Concealed Carry permit.  Did you fill out an application?  In North Dakota you have to fill out an "Application for Concealed Weapon" and the form includes "Instructions:  Applying for Concealed Weapon License."  So even if you were qualified to get the license or permit, you have to apply to actually get it.  Again, the definition of the word apply is to make a formal application or request.

Whether he qualifies or not, he still has to officially apply for the 5th year.  The certainty of the application being approved does not change the fact that an application has to be made.  And after watching the NCAA over the years you should know that nothing is automatic.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

Sorry if providing facts bothers you so much.

Since you are into "facts" and symantics on the definition of words...please site in the NCAA manual where it mentions and defines this term "medical redshirt"?

I'll hang up and listen....................

This has all been fun, but I'm going to turn in my claim form and paperwork for what I'm owed based on the documented process and criteria. 

I think that's the issue here: the Hardship Waiver paperwork is it  "apply" or "claim"? When you "apply" you're making a request, you're coming from a position of nothing or weakness and asking for something. When you "claim" you're demanding what's due you, coming from a position of strength and looking to validate the claim. (Yes, either can be denied.)

My take: Since he played in competition this year, he will need to get it approved and has to apply for it.  He would meet all the criteria to get it if he is unable to return, but the NCAA still needs to grant it.  Nothing is guaranteed with those clowns.

Since you are into "facts" and symantics on the definition of words...please site in the NCAA manual where it mentions and defines this term "medical redshirt"?

I'll hang up and listen....................

The NCAA doesn't use the term medical redshirt.  That is a term the general public uses.  The NCAA uses the term hardship waiver.  That term is discussed in the section I noted earlier, Section 12.8.  They use that term to cover several different issues, in this case it would be a waiver of the 5th year rule.  Thanks for listening.

The NCAA doesn't use the term medical redshirt.  That is a term the general public uses.  The NCAA uses the term hardship waiver.  That term is discussed in the section I noted earlier, Section 12.8.  They use that term to cover several different issues, in this case it would be a waiver of the 5th year rule.  Thanks for listening.

You are correct the NCAA doesn't use that term...anywhere...yet you felt compelled to post a site that uses the term "medical redshirt" with a pretty neat red t-shirt picture to try to make your point.  If you are going to constantly correct everyone on this site all the time when you post at least don't be hypocritical in your use of terms, words and definitions to try to make your point.

This has all been fun, but I'm going to turn in my claim form and paperwork for what I'm owed based on the documented process and criteria. 

I think that's the issue here: the Hardship Waiver paperwork is it  "apply" or "claim"? When you "apply" you're making a request, you're coming from a position of nothing or weakness and asking for something. When you "claim" you're demanding what's due you, coming from a position of strength and looking to validate the claim. (Yes, either can be denied.)

You can also make an assertion or claim without any proof.  Most criminals claim that they're innocent.  They often are not innocent and still go to jail.  Miners file claims, not all of them are or were legal.  So I don't consider the word nearly as strong as you.  When you are applying you are often filing paperwork, which is what the NCAA lives on.

Back on the hockey game track...anyone think Keaton gets ice time this game?

I sure hope so however I have no idea how. Stech has been a stud and Ausmus provides UND with that stay at home mentality.

Just throwing it out there, I wonder if Stetcher could play C or W in our top 6? Great skater. Last week I saw him get caught down low with the puck and he was working the wall like a winger. Didn't look out of place whatso ever. Guy could probably play center depending on his faceoff ability.

N schmaltz- stetcher - caggs, I would give it a whirl

I sure hope so however I have no idea how. Stech has been a stud and Ausmus provides UND with that stay at home mentality.

Just throwing it out there, I wonder if Stetcher could play C or W in our top 6? Great skater. Last week I saw him get caught down low with the puck and he was working the wall like a winger. Didn't look out of place whatso ever. Guy could probably play center depending on his faceoff ability.

I have thought about the same thing but putting Stetch w Chyzyk and St. Clair...that line would just fly up and down.

Maybe he could request a meeting with Hak today and "apply" for a position change?

Hmmm.   Wouldn't he have to claim his intent first?  Or would it be proclaim?  Once he claims\proclaims his intent then I think he could apply for the position.  Someone should check with the NC$$ to find out so Stetcher doesn't waste any time by claiming, proclaiming or applying if it is not necessary.

I just don't see it happening.  That being said, it would definitely be wing.  Playing center has quite a few more responsibilities than wing, which would make it a harder transition.

On a semi-related topic, I remember Marto switching from D to up front within the same game.  Talk about a change in mentality!

With the way the others are playing right now it is hard to see him getting back in unless someone is banged up.

It's not like he's that far behind everyone else.  With that level of competition, it could only take someone else having a bad week of practice for him to get back in there.

It's not like he's that far behind everyone else.  With that level of competition, it could only take someone else having a bad week of practice for him to get back in there.

I still think he is a good player and has a lot of potential but in the games he has played this season he has clearly struggled and been the worse of the 6 dressed that night that is why I think it may take an injury for him to get back in.

I still think he is a good player and has a lot of potential but in the games he has played this season he has clearly struggled and been the worse of the 6 dressed that night that is why I think it may take an injury for him to get back in.

Struggled is a stretch.  Towards the end of last year he was one of our better dmen. Still don't know how long you can keep a 3rd rounder riding the pine.  At some point they will have to play him; on a hunch I'm going to guess sooner than later.

I vote he plays for Mattson.

I was hoping for more from Mattson so far this season. He hasn't been bad...just not noticeable in a positive way very often.

I would like to Keaton some at some point though.

I was hoping for more from Mattson so far this season. He hasn't been bad...just not noticeable in a positive way very often.

I would like to Keaton some at some point though.

Mattson is only noticeable when he screws up, which is a bit more often than I would like from a senior. I don't think he has gotten any better since his freshman season. I think Thompson should get another shot over Mattson at some point.