SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Air Force - US HALL OF FAME GAME

AZSIOUX

We're playing semantics with the word "apply" I suspect. 

As things stand now, Mark qualifies for the medical provision (this season not counting as a "season of competition") if he doesn't play another game. It'd be allowed per NCAA rules as written. To me that's not "apply" (meaning ask for); it's a notification to the NCAA that we're enacting and following this rule as written. 

One would "apply" (ask for) a sixth season for some athletes under unique circumstances (and that's why those are rare). 

This....^^^^^.

But I wasn't going to reply to 82SiouxGuy's post above as it always turns out that he is right..................

• Upvote 1

So is it 4 weeks, noted on a different thread (which I thought was a tad on the short end), or is he done?

Per a buddy of mine who specializes in theses procedures, 4 weeks is extremely optimistic.

Per a buddy of mine who specializes in theses procedures, 4 weeks is extremely optimistic.

my dad is a doc and he noted the same thing.  He was more leaning towards 2-4 months (minimum) depending on how bad the tendon was damaged.  If it was cut pretty good he would be out for the season.  

We're playing semantics with the word "apply" I suspect. 

As things stand now, Mark qualifies for the medical provision (this season not counting as a "season of competition") if he doesn't play another game. It'd be allowed per NCAA rules as written. To me that's not "apply" (meaning ask for); it's a notification to the NCAA that we're enacting and following this rule as written. 

One would "apply" (ask for) a sixth season for some athletes under unique circumstances (and that's why those are rare). 

ap·ply
əˈplī/
verb
verb: apply; 3rd person present: applies; past tense: applied; past participle: applied; gerund or present participle: applying
make a formal application or request.
"you need to apply to the local authorities for a grant"
synonyms: put in an application for, put in for, try (out) for, bid for, appeal for, petition for, sue for, register for, audition for; More

Whether he qualifies or not, he still has to officially apply for the 5th year.  The certainty of the application being approved does not change the fact that an application has to be made.  And after watching the NCAA over the years you should know that nothing is automatic.

How to Get a Medical Redshirt

red-shirt-304x300.jpg

Injuries are a fact of life in sports, but in college they carry extra weight. Serious injuries cause athletes to lose some of the precious time they have competing in college athletics. Time marches on, whether it’s the four seasons an athlete can play, the five-year clock in Division I, or the 10-semester/15-quarter rule in Divisions II and III.

The NCAA has a process for giving athletes back seasons they lose to injury. It is commonly called a medical red-shirt, but the technical term is a medical hardship waiver. A student-athlete’s school must apply for the waiver, and it can be granted or denied. Every waiver that meets the published criteria is granted, with rare exceptions.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

I think Olson stays in the lineup for now. He's been impressive. Defensively, there seems to be no wrong play. St. Clair had to have been injured. He had a nice game Friday night, especially on the PK. Just like Chyzyk, very tenacious when they play with speed.

Air Force won't be a cakewalk, they tend to play an aggressive style. It should be an entertaining game.

Schlossman said on the Herald chat that St.Clair was a healthy scratch he also mentioned that Pattyn has an offseason surgery and isn't 100% recovered yet.

Schlossman said on the Herald chat that St.Clair was a healthy scratch he also mentioned that Pattyn has an offseason surgery and isn't 100% recovered yet.

I don't get that..........if anyone has watched Murphy and St.Clair play at any point in a game this makes zero sense.

• Upvote 1

I don't get that..........if anyone has watched Murphy and St.Clair play at any point in a game this makes zero sense.

St.Clair looked good to me.  Not sure why he would have sat.  I think Hak is still waiting to see if Murphy's O game will pick up.  He was too good of a player in juniors.

The red t-shirt is cool; but, I'm enjoying reading 14.2.4 of my NCAA Division I manual. That says the conferences administer the hardship waivers (14.2.4.2). They'll go by what the book says is my guess. 

More importantly, this conversation is too much of a downer. 

How about we talk about how MarkMac is going to heal wonderfully and be back on the ice in four weeks instead. 

The red t-shirt is cool; but, I'm enjoying reading 14.2.4 of my NCAA Division I manual. That says the conferences administer the hardship waivers (14.2.4.2). They'll go by what the book says is my guess.

Administer is synonymous with apply some around here would argue..........

More importantly, this conversation is too much of a downer. 

How about we talk about how MarkMac is going to heal wonderfully and be back on the ice in four weeks instead. 

I couldn't find a section 14.2.4 in the 2014-2015 NCAA Division I manual.  You may have an old manual.  I did find a couple of places in Section 12 that cover the topic.  First, Section 12.8.1.5 covers the Five Year Rule Waiver.  The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, a part of the NCAA, makes the decision on this process in this section.  Waivers can be given for circumstances beyond the control of the student-athlete, which can include injury. 

Then you can go to Section 12.8.4 which discusses the Hardship Waiver.  It says:

A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of "hardship."  Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

The conditions include the first part of year, less than 30% and during the initial 4 years.  In this case the Committee can also over-rule the conference if they refuse the additional year.

The manual doesn't spell out what the process involves in either case.  However, you can be sure that the process involves filling out forms and providing documentation.  The NCAA doesn't do anything without the proper paperwork.  Filling out forms would be considered an "application".  "Administering" or managing the process would include reviewing the application.  The process isn't guaranteed to result in getting the extra year.

Administer is synonymous with apply some around here would argue..........

I must have really hurt your delicate feelings at some point.  You take any opportunity you can to take a shot at me or make a snide comment.

Administer is synonymous with managing a process.  Applying would potentially be a part of that process.  An application is often the starting point in the process.  It may be difficult to get the process started without some kind of application or starting point.  Is that simple enough for you to understand?

I must have really hurt your delicate feelings at some point. You take any opportunity you can to take a shot at me or make a snide comment.

Administer is synonymous with managing a process. Applying would potentially be a part of that process. An application is often the starting point in the process. It may be difficult to get the process started without some kind of application or starting point. Is that simple enough for you to understand?

I just get a kick out of key board Cliff Clavins.

Didn't I pretty much say the exact same thing about you in regards to me quite recently?

Considering the number of posts you make, and the very few times I address those posts, I don't think it is even close.  I try to address the topic you are posting about, not just make snide comments.

• Upvote 2

Considering the number of posts you make, and the very few times I address those posts, I don't think it is even close. I try to address the topic you are posting about, not just make snide comments.

Well, by all means, feel free to post a reply once in a while to something I write that you might actually agree with...

Wow, all this over the word "apply". Where I live is a "shall issue" conceiled carry state. When I filled out the paperwork for mine, did I "apply" (ask for something I didn't have, as in apply for a job) or merely complete the paperwork for what I was already qualified for?

Beyond that it's haggling over that word because the rest of the specs I mentioned are correct (<30%, none in second half of season). And yeah, the 2014-15 DI manual rearranged the section numbering, but not the criteria.

The point remains in this case MarkMac would be granted the fifth year. If he wouldn't no one ever could be under the rules and process as written and defined.

But most importantly, I'd rather have him recover quickly than have to mess around with process and committees.

What scares me about AF is how hard they work. They are a very well-coached team.

Side bar, Frank Serratore gave one of the best, funniest addresses I've ever had the pleasure of hearing at Sioux Boosters! UND played AF at home in the Ice Breaker Tournament back in '11. Serratore told a story about a time when he was an assistant at UND and how one time during a particularly tough loss, he questioned Blais' decision not to aggressively recruit some D man who went on to play for another program (who ultimately torched us in that game) and how Serratore got punched out by Blais at the John Barleycorn! My favorite part was Serratore saying he had the imprint of one of Blais' NCAA championship rings imbedded in his forehead! He had the booster audience in absolute stitches!