SiouxSports.com Forum

Extremely Hypothetical: 7-5 = playoffs?

geaux_sioux

Considering the defense is pretty much all Mussman recruits outside of Hinojosa and Tillman (and a few true freshman sprinkled in), not sure what your point on the last part is other than continuing to have to bring up Mussman? He was a very good OC in his time year, not so much as a head coach but probably time to move on.

Defense may have all same players from 2013 to 2014 but the defensive results are night and day.

Mussman and his staff were not a DI staff.

Bubba and his staff, on the other hand, are a DI staff.

Simple as that.

• Upvote 1

Not arguing that point at all, which is why I said that he wasn't a good head coach despite being a successful OC here.  More to the overall point that some people can't move on and feel the need to continue to beat a dead horse. 

Someone said that UND barely beat PSU at home so a loss at PSU is a real possibility. I am saying a Muss-led team last year held PSU to 14 points (UND's defense averaged 33.7 pts/g) UND held them to 16 points at home. I don't see a loss at PSU if the offense can continue to improve going into next season. Sorry I brought up Muss, I will now say the UND led team last season. Is that better?

Defense may have all same players from 2013 to 2014 but the defensive results are night and day.

Mussman and his staff were not a DI staff.

Bubba and his staff, on the other hand, are a DI staff.

Simple as that.

I agree with you and which is why I said that he wasn't a good head coach despite being a successful OC here.  Looking at the turnaround the defense has made this year and who's been contributing shows that the players were here, it wasn't the recruiting (on that side of the ball, the OL situation in inexcusable).

More commenting to the overall point that some people can't move on and feel the need to continue to beat a dead horse even when it isn't relevant.

Wasn't UNI ranked # 3 when we beat them in their house back when Dressler was playing?  That one should count also.

You are correct!!!

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=6399&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=776032

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa—Junior Weston Dressler’s 50-yard touchdown reception with 54 seconds remaining gave UND a stunning 35-31 victory tonight over Northern Iowa, the third-ranked team in Division I-AA football and last year’s I-AA national runner-up.

Congrats I guess. Four wins over ranked teams. I guess they point I am trying to make is don't discredit a win over an FBS team. It is always a huge accomplishment, especially when a win comes against a power conference team. Last time I checked FBS teams have something like a .850 Winning percentage all time against FCS teams. UND is 0-7 against FBS teams, correct? Until you start beating some FBS teams, you can then try to talk down about those wins. Hell, you played Idaho, freaking Idaho (probably the worst FBS program in the country) and got absolutely steamrolled. 

That UNI team last year had a ton of injuries but was a very good team. When healthy, it was easily one of the top 3 teams in the country. 7-5 yes, but some great wins, Iowa State #9 McNeese State and #9 Youngstown State. If they don't get in the playoffs with a win over an FBS team and two wins against top 10 FCS teams, do you really think UND has a prayer at 7-5? 

Let's look at the Sagarin conference rankings as of today until we get down to the Big Sky. 

1.) Missouri Valley

2.) CAA

3.) Big South

4.) Southern 

5.) Southland

6.) Ohio Valley

7.) Big Sky 

If Montana and Montana State finish the year at 8-4 and EWU wins the conference, with maybe another loss, there is no chance UND gets in. Do you really think the 7th ranked conference in the FCS gets 4 at large bids? Not a chance.

Hell, you played Idaho, freaking Idaho (probably the worst FBS program in the country) and got absolutely steamrolled. 

Just for reference, in 2010 when UND (who was terrible that year) got streamrolled by Idaho, the 2010 final Sagarin Ranking:

Idaho: 89

Kansas: 119

UND lost to Idaho again in 2011 but was ahead at the half until forgetting to show up for the second half and were still down only 10 heading into the 4th.

Someone said that UND barely beat PSU at home so a loss at PSU is a real possibility. I am saying a Muss-led team last year held PSU to 14 points (UND's defense averaged 33.7 pts/g) UND held them to 16 points at home. I don't see a loss at PSU if the offense can continue to improve going into next season.

That was me.  I think UND should beat PSU next year, but I'm unwilling to chalk that game up as a definite win like you did.  You stated "at most" you saw 4 losses, which I interpreted to mean that you think there are only four games on the schedule where UND has a chance of losing.  Setting aside the fact that all 11 games are possible losses on any given Saturday, and playing along with your theme, there are at least 6 potential losses on that schedule, not 4.  You have not explained why you left Montana State off your list.  UND has yet to beat them in the DI era, so certainly next year's game is not a given.  Having said all that, that doesn't mean I'm predicting UND to go 5-6 next year, but they will need to win some games against some good teams in order to do better than that.  That was my point.

That was me. I think UND should beat PSU next year, but I'm unwilling to chalk that game up as a definite win like you did. You stated "at most" you saw 4 losses, which I interpreted to mean that you think there are only four games on the schedule where UND has a chance of losing. Setting aside the fact that all 11 games are possible losses on any given Saturday, and playing along with your theme, there are at least 6 potential losses on that schedule, not 4. You have not explained why you left Montana State off your list. UND has yet to beat them in the DI era, so certainly next year's game is not a given. Having said all that, that doesn't mean I'm predicting UND to go 5-6 next year, but they will need to win some games against some good teams in order to do better than that. That was my point.

UND hung with MSU in Bozeman, which means we are improving, add that to us being at home and I see UND beating MSU. I know every game could be a loss, just like every game could be a win that's why the games are played. IMO (just my opinion) I see UND 7-4 next year. Playoff bound!!

UND hung with MSU in Bozeman, which means we are improving, add that to us being at home and I see UND beating MSU. I know every game could be a loss, just like every game could be a win that's why the games are played. IMO (just my opinion) I see UND 7-4 next year. Playoff bound!!

We'd need some help at 7-4

Just for reference, in 2010 when UND (who was terrible that year) got streamrolled by Idaho, the 2010 final Sagarin Ranking:

UND lost to Idaho again in 2011 but was ahead at the half until forgetting to show up for the second half and were still down only 10 heading into the 4th.

Why did you throw Kansas on here? Because NDSU played them that year? Who cares , NDSU took care of them and won the game.

I just think it is funny that Dbag1976 tries to tear down FBS wins while at the same time was pumping it up when UND went toe to toe with SDSU. 0-7 against FBS teams. When/if UND ever beats an FBS team you know dang well you and the entire UND fan base claim it to be the best UND win ever, even if it is against a team like Idaho.

Just for reference, in 2010 when UND (who was terrible that year) got streamrolled by Idaho, the 2010 final Sagarin Ranking:

Why did you throw Kansas on here? Because NDSU played them that year? Who cares , NDSU took care of them and won the game.

I just think it is funny that Dbag1976 tries to tear down FBS wins while at the same time was pumping it up when UND went toe to toe with SDSU. 0-7 against FBS teams. When/if UND ever beats an FBS team you know dang well you and the entire UND fan base claim it to be the best UND win ever, even if it is against a team like Idaho.

Just pointing out Idaho was nowhere near the worst team in FBS that year as you claimed, in fact they were quite a bit ahead of Kansas which I have seen pumped up well beyond their actual rankings.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• Upvote 1

Now we are resorted to name calling? Mods ban this guy now!!

• Upvote 2

A fan of a good football team does not have conferred upon them the status of "expert on the game" simply because of their favorite team's success on the field.  They also do not have conferred upon them the status of "more of an expert on the game than fans of less successful teams" simply because of their favorite team's success on the field.

That's fine.  I did not take your post as a 7-4 prediction.  I took it to mean that there are only 4 games on the schedule where UND could potentially lose.  That is what I was disagreeing with.  But if you were just predicting a record, then carry on....

That's fine. I did not take your post as a 7-4 prediction. I took it to mean that there are only 4 games on the schedule where UND could potentially lose. That is what I was disagreeing with. But if you were just predicting a record, then carry on....

We both hope it will only be a maximum of 4 losses. :)

A fan of a good football team does not have conferred upon them the status of "expert on the game" simply because of their favorite team's success on the field. They also do not have conferred upon them the status of "more of an expert on the game than fans of less successful teams" simply because of their favorite team's success on the field.

True but in the case of your fan base, you don't seem to get it.

1.) 7 win at large teams generally do not make the playoffs unless you have some impressive wins. Beating 7 non ranked teams in the big sky will not get you in the playoffs as Darell thinks it will.

2.) wins against FBS teams are great for FCS teams and trying to diminish those wins, because you are 0-7 against FBS teams and are jealous, does nothing for your own program.

Not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to help you guys understand what it takes to make the playoffs. Finish with a minimum of 7 wins AND actually beat a few good teams.