SiouxSports.com Forum

SJSU Predictions

UND Fan

Most of the sports writers did not do their research on the Spartans.  We have 17 players who started a number of games last season.  We are loaded with WR's. DB's. Both "O" and "D" linemen, RB's. and very fast LB's.  The starting QB is a 5th year Senior who just barely got beat out by Fales.  He has seen lots of action since he was a Soph.  He's big and likes to run.  Should be an interesting game.  Hopefully, no injuries for either team.
PS...Watch for # 15 , Tyler Winston , WR.  Tyler was a Fr. All America last year.  A speed burner  at 6' 2", 191 lbs.  The Spartans are a very fast team overall.

What was your score against Sac. State?  You talk about new players on the SJS and nothing about the whole sale influx of new players for UND?

C'mon man! you cant be serious...

Last year when UND played Sacramento State, UND was demoralized and playing sloppy. They had just been pounded by Montana and Montana State at home, and lost another close game to Eastern Washington. They had very little drive to excel. On top of that, the team couldn't run the ball (both physically and mentally), and the defense was playing horrid due to various factors, including the offense's lack of TOP. 

UND lost to South Dakota State by 1 touchdown early in the season, yet lost to Sacramento State by 24. So does that make Sacramento State better than South Dakota State?

Comparing scores is elementary and inaccurate, you should know that....

Most of the sports writers did not do their research on the Spartans.  We have 17 players who started a number of games last season.  We are loaded with WR's. DB's. Both "O" and "D" linemen, RB's. and very fast LB's.  The starting QB is a 5th year Senior who just barely got beat out by Fales.  He has seen lots of action since he was a Soph.  He's big and likes to run.  Should be an interesting game.  Hopefully, no injuries for either team.

PS...Watch for # 15 , Tyler Winston , WR.  Tyler was a Fr. All America last year.  A speed burner  at 6' 2", 191 lbs.  The Spartans are a very fast team overall.

Should be an interesting game! I look forward to checking out both teams, being its the first game for both!

I see Jurich has only thrown 20 passes over the last 3 years but has a fair amount of rushing attempts (54), but most of those were from 2 years ago when he was a sophomore.  Did he come in games in some sort of wildcat role when he was a sophomore?  Looks like he played in 12 games in 2012 (11 passing attempts, 43 rushing attempts, but only 5 last year (6 PA, 8 RA).

What was your score against Sac. State?  You talk about new players on the SJS and nothing about the whole sale influx of new players for UND?

It doesn't matter what we did last year. Muss is not the coach, Bubba is. Whether he will help this team is yet to be seen. But to compare this team (2014) to the 2013 team doesn't hold water. I have seen a team go from 1-15 to a division title. Improvements can be made when the right personnel is there. Didn't NDSU go from 3-8 to a playoff team? 

Has a chance....UND can compete with SJSU, no problem.

The 2014 San Jose State football team isn't doing anything special this season. They had an explosive offensive last year with a very bad defense and yet went only 6-6. They managed to beat Sacramento State at home by a score of 24-0; only a three possession game. This season, San Jose State comes off a 6-6 season without their all-star quarterback, three new inexperienced starters on the offensive line, and for this game vs. UND, they don't have their starting RB.

UND has a real good shot, because this year's San Jose State team is worse than the team that only beat last year's Sacramento State 24-0.

What's the other half of that equation? Oh yea. Sac State AT North Dakota - a 31-7 win for the Hornets.

While San Jose State may be "worse" than last year's team (at least according to some experts here), UND will have to be VASTLY improved since last year as well in order to pull off an upset.

Patience will be required. Had Jerry Jones not had any, he would have canned Jimmy Johnson after one year as well. Hopefully Bubba can get the Sioux ship pointed back in the right direction.

What was your score against Sac. State? You talk about new players on the SJS and nothing about the whole sale influx of new players for UND?

It's humorous how the trolls like yourself were on here all last fall telling us the UND vs SDSU score wasn't meaningful....and now this comment of yours. Priceless.

What's the other half of that equation? Oh yea. Sac State AT North Dakota - a 31-7 win for the Hornets.

While San Jose State may be "worse" than last year's team (at least according to some experts here), UND will have to be VASTLY improved since last year as well in order to pull off an upset.

Patience will be required. Had Jerry Jones not had any, he would have canned Jimmy Johnson after one year as well. Hopefully Bubba can get the Sioux ship pointed back in the right direction.

The Hornets finished 5-7 in 2013. In 2012 they lost to UND 35-13 in Sacramento and finished 6-5. Did the Hornets VASTLY improve from 2012 to 2013? NOPE!

Has a chance....UND can compete with SJSU, no problem.

The 2014 San Jose State football team isn't doing anything special this season. They had an explosive offense last year with a very bad defense and yet went only 6-6. They managed to beat Sacramento State at home by a score of 24-0; only a three possession game. This season, San Jose State comes off a 6-6 season without their all-star quarterback, three new inexperienced starters on the offensive line, and for this game vs. UND, they don't have their starting RB. 

UND has a real good shot, because this year's San Jose State team is worse than the team that only beat last year's Sacramento State 24-0. 

I think this could be a two score game, but it's difficult to see what phase of the game I could identify as "no problem" for this team this year.

Yeah you are right...

Load the boys up Bubba, NewUNDAlum says we don't have a chance. No reason to even play the game.

Your attitude leads me to believe you were connected to the Muss teams for some reason.

I'm still going to be cheering for an upset and watching the game but I also consider myself a realist.  I think this years team is a 3-4 win team in the Big Sky.  Next year I think we start to see some improvement but for the time being I just don't see us being very good.  Like I said, I'll still be watching and praying that I'm wrong.

Hoping not to cause a thread drift here, but Darrell's incessant obsession with NDSU's downfall forces me to point out what NDSU's "dark decade" looks like.

NDSU 1990-1999.

Overall record 88-27

4 conference championships

1 National Championship

6 trips to the division 2 playoffs

5-5 record in games against UND

UND 1990-1999

Overall record 81-27

0 National Championships

6 trips to division 2 playoffs

5-5 records against UND

Couldn't quickly find how many conference championships. But given NDSU won 4 and I believe UNC won 1 or 2. I'll guess it's 4 or 5.

I'll tell you Darrell, if this is what you call the dark years, NDSU is in for a pretty decent decade coming up.

Hoping not to cause a thread drift here, but Darrell's incessant obsession with NDSU's downfall forces me to point out what NDSU's "dark decade" looks like.

NDSU 1990-1999.

Overall record 88-27

1 National Championship

UND 1990-1999

Overall record 81-27

0 National Championships

5-5 records against UND

Couldn't quickly find how many conference championships. But given NDSU won 4 and I believe UNC won 1 or 2. I'll guess it's 4 or 5.

I'll tell you Darrell, if this is what you call the dark years, NDSU is in for a pretty decent decade coming up.

In case you're all illiterate- this is a thread about tonight's game. Bison Dan offered no opinion on tonights game- he just came here to argue others' opinions as is evidenced by his first post. And now you're here.

We don't troll your sheep shearing and goat roping prediction threads. Please go home.

NDSU 1990-1999.

Overall record 88-27

1 National Championship

UND 1990-1999

Overall record 81-27

0 National Championships

5-5 records against UND

No question NDSU has a long history of success in terms of their football program. All in all, I think the success of a season rides on national championships and conference championships. I think NDSU will go 9-3 this season, and with that record, not only will they likely lose a playoff game, but also they might not win the MVFC - that would be a legitimate drop-off for a team looking for its 25th consecutive victory come Saturday and coming off 3 consecutive NCs.

Will be interesting to see how NDSU responds to a new HC and new QB in 2014. 

The Hornets finished 5-7 in 2013. In 2012 they lost to UND 35-13 in Sacramento and finished 6-5. Did the Hornets VASTLY improve from 2012 to 2013? NOPE!

Yawn. You must have an app on your iphone that tells you when I've written something so you can respond...

Bubba may be able to coach, but it'll take more than an attitude change on the sidelines to fix this team - it'll take a year or two and some new players, but hopefully the team is headed in the right direction.

Duke seems to have improved a lot since that 2010 game against Alabama, wouldn't you agree?

It's humorous how the trolls like yourself were on here all last fall telling us the UND vs SDSU score wasn't meaningful....and now this comment of yours. Priceless.

This. Competitive scores don't matter, than they do. Head to head results don't matter, than they do. I guess it's what best fits his arguement.

• Upvote 2

Yawn. You must have an app on your iphone that tells you when I've written something so you can respond...

Bubba may be able to coach, but it'll take more than an attitude change on the sidelines to fix this team - it'll take a year or two and some new players, but hopefully the team is headed in the right direction.

Duke seems to have improved a lot since that 2010 game against Alabama, wouldn't you agree?

I don't agree that this year is lost, though. Yes, UND will improve from 2014 to 2015, but what's the starting point going to actually be here in 2014?

Some college football programs are unable to change "overnight"; that is, it takes a few years to acquire the necessary talent to change the program around in terms of success. However, there are many coaches across the country that can immediately change a team's outlook by changing both discipline and philosophy in the short-term. 

Last season, in the FBS, the most specific example that comes to mind is Auburn.  In 2011, Eastern Illinois (FCS - Ohio Valley Conference) went 2-9; in 2012, after hiring Dino Barbers, Eastern Illinois went 7-5. The point is, substantial turnarounds can occur via coaching changes due to a change in philosophy and discipline. 

How do you know it will take more than an attitude change to change this team?  UND has talent, whether you want to believe it or not. QB Joe Mollberg, RB Cedric Simmons, WR RJ McGill, TE Zach Adler, LG Brandon Anderson, NG Jordan Hinojosa, LB Will Ratelle, LB Marcus Jenkins-Moore, CB Alex Tillman, S Cole Reyes, etc. etc. etc.

The only question mark is whether or not the youth can play big time football right away or not. Also, the degree of discipline that Bubba has tried to instill.

If UND commits less turnovers and penalties than they did last year, they will instantly be a better team - that is the kind of thing that Bubba and his staff can do to make an immediate impact. It's not like UND was playing perfect football (no turnovers, no penalties) last season and still got blown out; in actuality, UND was shooting themselves in the foot in 2013.