SiouxSports.com Forum

Legal question ?

Fetch

In the settlement did we lose the Logo we all love ?

If not why not change the name to University of North Dakota .....Spirit & keep the Logo ?

It honors the past but is PC neutral

Everyone has Spirit " we got spirit yes we do we got spirit how about you"

Everyone wants to win the spirit award ? ? ?

In the settlement did we lose the Logo we all love ?

If not why not change the name to University of North Dakota .....Spirit & keep the Logo ?

It honors the past but is PC neutral

Everyone has Spirit " we got spirit yes we do we got spirit how about you"

Everyone wants to win the spirit award ? ? ?

This isn't high school Fetch. We can and must do better than that.

I, like was said by many before, prefer the "Cavalry". Not disparaging anyone with it. Can't say anyone is using native American imagery in a negative way. I don't know anyone with that nickname, other than the Cleveland Cavaliers. A Cavalier is really more of a swordsman who does not ride a horse, if I have it correctly. But, as Astro would say, "rots of ruck" with the politically correct radicals. The solution to the PC thought police: People with back bone to tell them to STFU.

Whatever the new nickname is, it will suck compared to Sioux. So if we absolutely have to even have a nickname, lets go with: Here comes your University of North Dakota New Nickname Sucks! It would at least reflect the majority's feelings. I could see myself purchasing a sweatshirt saying UND New Nickname Sucks, long before I'd buy a rough rider sweatshirt.

• Upvote 3

The we got spirit was just an example of maybe one of the oldest cheers there has ever been - but without the logo I dont want it

But if there was the slightest chance it could save the logo I'd love it

Whatever the new nickname is, it will suck compared to Sioux. So if we absolutely have to even have a nickname, lets go with: Here comes your University of North Dakota New Nickname Sucks! It would at least reflect the majority's feelings. I could see myself purchasing a sweatshirt saying UND New Nickname Sucks, long before I'd buy a rough rider sweatshirt.

Of course the new name will suck compared to Sioux, just like Royals (Valley Jr. High) sucks compared to Warriors, and Redskins (GFC) compared to Knights. But now those nicknames are 20 years old and it has grown on people, just like the new name will grow on people in time. 5 years, nope, 10 years, maybe, 20 years much more likely. Not having a nickname is not going to be an option and neither is having Sioux or any Indian name AND logo. We have to accept it and move on. It sucks not being the Sioux but I still wear my Sioux gear, but when a new name is chosen I will purchase that named gear and why? Because I am a fan of the University of North Dakota. That name....COMES FIRST!!!!

• Upvote 2

Rough Riders has nothing to do with ND

The leader of the 1st US Volunteer Cavalry, the "Rough Riders", ranched in western North Dakota.

The last living member of Roosevelt's "Rough Riders" was a man born in North Dakota named Jesse Langdon. Jesse's father was a veterinarian and treated Roosevelt's cattle on the ranch.

So the first and the last Rough Riders were North Dakotans.

Tell me again about "nothing".

• Upvote 4

Of course the new name will suck compared to Sioux, just like Royals (Valley Jr. High) sucks compared to Warriors, and Redskins (GFC) compared to Knights. But now those nicknames are 20 years old and it has grown on people, just like the new name will grow on people in time. 5 years, nope, 10 years, maybe, 20 years much more likely. Not having a nickname is not going to be an option and neither is having Sioux or any Indian name AND logo. We have to accept it and move on. It sucks not being the Sioux but I still wear my Sioux gear, but when a new name is chosen I will purchase that named gear and why? Because I am a fan of the University of North Dakota. That name....COMES FIRST!!!!

You just summarized my feelings on this issue in one short paragraph. Well done.

• Upvote 1