SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 Schedule

bincitysioux

Football is a completely different beast that basketball, not comparable. 8-10,000 tickets at $20-30 generates a lot more revenue than less than 2,000 at $10 a ticket.

Maybe you aren't aware since I'm not sure how many games you attend, but unless there is a special promotion like they did last year (XDSU's/UM/MSU), attendance doesn't actually vary that much regardless of opponent. Maybe a couple hundred and that is probably a stretch. There might be slight bump, but not enough to move the needle to justify some huge costs of one time games.

And what would joining the SL do? One of the advantages of being in the Big Sky is having the SL teams available for OOC games.

Not saying that the schedule doesn't need some improvement but to think that the athletic department and Jones wouldn't prefer some better home games is just ignorant.

I mentioned the SL when he said USD could have more bus rides vs flights giving them more money which would be true for UND. As for the schedule and Jones how would justify 12 home games in a 28 game season ( 3 home games out of a 10 OOC season)? Since it's not baseball you can't blame the weather.

I mentioned the SL when he said USD could have more bus rides vs flights giving them more money which would be true for UND. As for the schedule and Jones how would justify 12 home games in a 28 game season ( 3 home games out of a 10 OOC season)? Since it's not baseball you can't blame the weather.

So what do you think the reason is for the lousy home schedule Darrell? Do you actually believe it's by choice that Jones is not brining in DI teams and instead opting for the Mayvilles and Dickinsons?

Not sure what you are proposing to do force teams to come here? Did you come up for any of those games during transition when the schedule was supposedly better and have now quit coming? Like I said, the change in attendance isn't worth shelling out huge dollars for a guarantee game. Might have to start throwing in some sort of incentive to get home and homes but from a cost perspective, offering a ton doesn't make sense.

I'd be perfectly fine with a rotation of USD/NDSU/SDSU/Omaha with 2 home and 2 away every year. Sprinkle other DI OOC when possible.

• Upvote 1

So what do you think the reason is for the lousy home schedule Darrell? Do you actually believe it's by choice that Jones is not brining in DI teams and instead opting for the Mayvilles and Dickinsons?

Is there anyone that is happy with this schedule?? Honestly? For myself I am disgusted by it. No real home game until 2015 and that's when conference play starts. Since Jones's team hasn't beaten a non conference team on the road since early 2012 UND could be at 2-9 overall going into conference play or with a 0-9 DI record.

• Upvote 1

If money is an issue scheduling teams like Mayville and Dickinson is not going to bring any kind of a crowd unless its really dead in Grand Forks. Also if money was an issue how did UND get a boat load of DI teams to Grand Forks during our transition period when you needed to schedule a lot more games than you do now, then we join the BSC and all we get up here is the SU's and Omaha? If travel costs are hampering our scheduling ability, fans may be thinking it was a mistake not to join the SL.

Maybe from a basketball standpoint it was. Look all I'm saying is that we are not alone in scheduling a Mayville St and Dickinson. I listed above what South Dakota has had on their schedule other than the ones you listed and you'll see that with other teams as well. That most likely is not going to change. During the transition, I'm going to miss a few....so feel free to criticize me for that...La Tech, Northern Iowa 09, Northern Colorado, UMKC, Green Bay 09, Longwood, IPFW and Western Illinois. There certainly were some nice home and homes there.

Ideally, I think it would be great to have it work where one year we have Omaha and USD at home then SDSU and NDSU on the road- then vice-versa the next year. That would be a significant help. None of these schools are going to do away with the Dickinsons, the UMC Crookstons, completely. Not us, NDSU, USD, not Omaha. But then maybe you could find a way to pick up a Northern Iowa or a Drake from time to time to enhance that home schedule.

I'm smelling a rebirth of the Fire Jones thread...... :ohmy:

In seriousness, while I wish there were at least 3 or so non-conf D1 home games, it is what it is. As noted, there's not much money available to get better teams in, and I'm expecting that some of the away games will garner a return trip in the future. As for the non-D1 games, I believe that you can play 2 and they won't count against your RPI or something to that affect, and most mid-major teams do this.

Is there anyone that is happy with this schedule?? Honestly? For myself I am disgusted by it. No real home game until 2015 and that's when conference play starts. Since Jones's team hasn't beaten a non conference team on the road since early 2012 UND could be at 2-9 overall going into conference play or with a 0-9 DI record.

None of us have said we are happy about the schedule. We just have better understanding of how difficult it is to get DI teams to come to GF than you do. And you never answered my question. Do believe Jones et al intentionally avoided scheduling DI home games?

None of us have said we are happy about the schedule. We just have better understanding of how difficult it is to get DI teams to come to GF than you do. And you never answered my question. Do believe Jones et al intentionally avoided scheduling DI home games?

Honestly I don't know. Jones is on the hot seat and going 0-9 on the road to start the year is going to make things hotter for him. Intentionally avoiding DI teams no, not getting home and home or 2 for 1's maybe. I may be just typing without thinking and doing some venting but this schedule would be like the football team with an FCS and 2 DII teams for a non-conference schedule. I thought we would do away with the Mayvilles when we moved up and got into a big conference, but I guess our geography is kicking us in the butt again, I would like us to play the Dakota 3 and Omaha every year, add a UNI and maybe a DU would be good to. What does this schedule do to players mentality when you play on the road vs DI teams come home against a meaningless DII/NAIA team then back on the road for more DI teams then start conference play 11 games later. Players should be up for the game no matter who it is, then again we saw UND get beat by Sioux Falls in football. If you aren't up for the game..you lose.

Honestly I don't know. Jones is on the hot seat and going 0-9 on the road to start the year is going to make things hotter for him. Intentionally avoiding DI teams no, not getting home and home or 2 for 1's maybe. I may be just typing without thinking and doing some venting but this schedule would be like the football team with an FCS and 2 DII teams for a non-conference schedule. I thought we would do away with the Mayvilles when we moved up and got into a big conference, but I guess our geography is kicking us in the butt again, I would like us to play the Dakota 3 and Omaha every year, add a UNI and maybe a DU would be good to. What does this schedule do to players mentality when you play on the road vs DI teams come home against a meaningless DII/NAIA team then back on the road for more DI teams then start conference play 11 games later. Players should be up for the game no matter who it is, then again we saw UND get beat by Sioux Falls in football. If you aren't up for the game..you lose.

:whistling:;)

• Upvote 2

A lot of people are blaming Jones for the schedule but is he really the one that decides the schedule? I can't believe any coach would want to play your first 11 D1 games on the road to start any season. I would have to think the AD department makes the decisions due to money restraints and money games.

Yep, being from VC, it was a pretty amazing game to be at. Seemed like the whole town of VC was there. Sure would be fun to get some big time DI schools to come to the Ralph, but I don't see it happening again for awhile.

It would be nice to land a recruit from ND that is a starter. That's one way of jump starting attendance. But those players are rare.

With women's hockey, the Ralph is rarely available for a game. The Ralph would draw people, just for the big screens, laser shows, and video boards it seems.

Jan. 1: @ Montana State

Jan. 3: @ Montana

Jan. 8: vs. Sac State

Jan. 10: vs. Portland State

Jan. 17: vs. Northern Colorado

Jan. 22: @ Idaho

Jan. 24: @ Eastern Washington

Jan. 29: vs. Weber State

Jan. 31: vs. Idaho State

Feb. 5: @ Southern Utah

Feb. 7: @ Northern Arizona

Feb. 12: vs. Montana

Feb. 14: vs. Montana State

Feb. 19: @ Portland State

Feb. 21: @ Sac State

Feb. 26: vs. Northern Arizona

Feb. 28: vs. Southern Utah

Mar. 7: @ Northern Colorado

The first half of the conference schedule looks a little rough, yes 5 of those 9 games are at home but the stretch from Jan 17-31 with UNC, @ EWU, @ Idaho, Weber and Idaho State will be difficult. If they can figure things out for Feb and March, the schedule softens a bit where their biggest test would be at Sac and Portland.

I think the conference is going to be another battle like this year, only this time there really isn't a clear cut favorite.

A lot of people are blaming Jones for the schedule but is he really the one that decides the schedule? I can't believe any coach would want to play your first 11 D1 games on the road to start any season. I would have to think the AD department makes the decisions due to money restraints and money games.

Jones puts the schedule together. Moody did it before he left, Jones has done it ever since.