SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

I gotta remember to bet on Kruger the next time the Blackhawks go into 3 overtimes.

Anaheim's rink crew is going to need to replace the goalposts, which took a beating from Anaheim shots tonight er this morning.  

I predict the games in Chicago look nothing like what they looked like in Anaheim.   Matchups are everything in this series too.

I predict the games in Chicago look nothing like what they looked like in Anaheim. Matchups are everything in this series too.

Hope the matchups can help the Hawks D avoid getting worked like they did in much of the first 2 games, but their lack of defensive depth is being exposed by the Ducks. Even their top 4 D got worked.

Have to hope the Hawks continue to score on the pp to win this series.

Hope the matchups can help the Hawks D avoid getting worked like they did in much of the first 2 games, but their lack of defensive depth is being exposed by the Ducks. Even their top 4 D got worked.

Have to hope the Hawks continue to score on the pp to win this series.

The biggest beneficiary of matchups should be Kane ... Ducks lower two lines are vulnerable.

not if they can't figure a way to score consistently.  a problem which has plagued them all year.  they outplayed the ducks today and have nothing to show for it.  they need to find a way to score 4 goals a game as 1 or 2 isn't going to beat the ducks.

Maybe 3 goals is all it takes to beat the Mighty Ducks when they can't finish it at home.  A whole new series now that it's heading back to Chicago.

GO HAWKS!!!!

I gotta remember to bet on Kruger the next time the Blackhawks go into 3 overtimes.

Anaheim's rink crew is going to need to replace the goalposts, which took a beating from Anaheim shots tonight er this morning.  

I predict the games in Chicago look nothing like what they looked like in Anaheim.   Matchups are everything in this series too.

I wonder how often they change the pipes, my kids goal in the garage doesn't have a round spot left, but I assume the el cheapo goal is mostly to blame. He does shoot hard enough to break windows, drywall, and an aquarium. :sad:

The header-goal that was disallowed ranks right up there with Alex Rodriguez slapping the ball out of Arroyo's glove. What a dumb-a** play - and the guy thought that that would legitimately count too.

I thought you could direct the puck in as long as it is not a distinct kicking motion. 

Guess not.

According to Rule 78.5 (i) "Apparent goals shall be disallowed when the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick." No goal Chicago."

Then again, how is ANA first goal legal under 78.5? That was directed in with other than a stick. Cogliano used his skate to direct the puck*. 

Something seems not right in what is and isn't allowed. 

*Yes, it then hit a CHI defender in the leg. 

Mike Babcock is going to the Maple Leafs after they handed him an 8 year, $50M contract.  THAT IS INSANE!!!

Par for the course for the Leafs, I guess.  Have fun rotting in Toronto, Babcock.

I agree. I'm a huge Wings fan, but $6+ million per year is insane. Jeff Blashill will be the next coach of the Wings. If Babcock can do anything with the dysfunctional Leafs, maybe he's worth it, but I don't expect that he will turn around those sorry losers.

I agree. I'm a huge Wings fan, but $6+ million per year is insane. Jeff Blashill will be the next coach of the Wings. If Babcock can do anything with the dysfunctional Leafs, maybe he's worth it, but I don't expect that he will turn around those sorry losers.

No question Babcock is a good coach.  But how much better is he than any other NHL coach?  Teams talk themselves into who the 'biggest prize' is out there, and then fall all over themselves to land that prize.  Much like Niskanen last year - a year when there weren't many good FA defensemen available, so Niskanen was the big prize and Washington ended up signing him to a crazy 7 year, $40.25M contract for an average defenseman.

Babcock has won 1 Stanley Cup with the Red Wings and took the Ducks and Red Wings each to the Finals once.  The Mighty Ducks team that he took to the Finals wasn't loaded with big names, but keep in mind, the Red Wings teams have had guys like Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fransen, Holmstrom, Rafalski and Hossa.  And let's not forget (and maybe more importantly) they also had the sandpaper and leadership from guys like Maltby, McCarty, Draper, etc...let's just say these teams have been well put together...by Ken Holland.  So it's safe to say that Babcock stepped into a pretty nice situation 10 years ago, and has 1 cup and 1 Finals loss to show for it.

You're telling me he's that much better than Joel Quenneville, Claude Julien, Daryl Sutter, Ken Hitchcock, Peter Laviolette, Alain Vigneault, Jon Cooper, Barry Trotz, Dan Bylsma (who's not even coaching now)...and on and on and on?  What makes a coach great?  How about this year's darling, Michel Therrien?  Montreal finished the year with the 2nd highest point total in the NHL with 110 points.  Is Therrien all of a sudden the best coach in the history of the world?  You know why they finished that high?  Carey Price.  Show me a coach that has the luxury of coaching a good lineup - goalie being the most important piece - and I'll show you a "great coach".

Oh well...good for Toronto.  I see that with the new leadership in place in Brenden Shanahan, it's the same old same old in Toronto.  Overpaying for talent like the NY Yankees with 1 major difference - the Yankees win every once in a while.