SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

Taylor has always done what's in NDSU's best interest. Does "NDSU's best interest" need to be defined for everyone?

It's in NDSU's best interest to not share the football stage with the flagship. Understood. The risk isn't worth the reward.

• Upvote 2

I think the reason NDSU doesn't want to schedule UND is very simple: to do so chips away at the illusion that the two schools play at different levels. NDSU currently gets most of media attention and recruits. If NDSU travels to UND, win or lose, the illusion is reduced. Traveling to EWU or Weber doesn't have that effect because most people in the area aren't familiar with those schools and both are outside of the shared recruiting area. Personally, I would like to see the game resumed, but in the current environment there doesn't seem to be a lot of upside for NDSU.

I agree with this completely.

Flagship designation doesn't change year to year. You're either it or not and we all know who has been it for 125+ years.

What? Being good in a few sports and having a cable network come to town for two days doesn't make them the flagship?

• Upvote 1

I think the reason NDSU doesn't want to schedule UND is very simple: to do so chips away at the illusion that the two schools play at different levels. NDSU currently gets most of media attention and recruits. If NDSU travels to UND, win or lose, the illusion is reduced. Traveling to EWU or Weber doesn't have that effect because most people in the area aren't familiar with those schools and both are outside of the shared recruiting area. Personally, I would like to see the game resumed, but in the current environment there doesn't seem to be a lot of upside for NDSU.

The risk is not worth the reward. You've articulated it much better here than I could have. Wouldn't want those bandwagon FU fans in Walsh and Pembina counties (for example) switching back.

• Upvote 1

Odds are we play in 2015 and 2018 in Fargo with no guarantee of games beyond that. Bubba wants to play them and I think will help push us to agree to NDSU's terms. At this point we have no leverage, I admit that. Once the game is played I think the demand of the fans will help to push future, consistent games to be scheduled...

It is quite refreshing to see a poster who gets it. (Well, Shawn-O gets it too; Shawn-O, we need you back on Bisonville.) The only part I think you are off on, is UND does not need NDSU to come to GF to help reduce what you called the "illusion." Thus why I am shocked UND did not agree to two games in Fargo; a competitive showing versus mooU is exactly what your program needs. NDSU has very little upside on any of this.

Odds are we play in 2015 and 2018 in Fargo with no guarantee of games beyond that. Bubba wants to play them and I think will help push us to agree to NDSU's terms. At this point we have no leverage, I admit that. Once the game is played I think the demand of the fans will help to push future, consistent games to be scheduled...

Not a chance. Faison has never scheduled a one-time OOC road game against an FCS team, no way will he sign a contract for two.

• Upvote 2

Never say never...Like I said Bubba wants this to happen. It is a change in regime. He feels the best experience for the student athletes is 70 miles to the south. If we can travel to San Jose, Wyoming etc. Why not to Fargo? It's not just about the money, although Faison has to make sure this makes sense as well...

Never say never...Like I said Bubba wants this to happen. It is a change in regime. He feels the best experience for the student athletes is 70 miles to the south. If we can travel to San Jose, Wyoming etc. Why not to Fargo? It's not just about the money, although Faison has to make sure this makes sense as well...

The payout from FBS teams offer are one of the main reasons that UND is traveling to San Jose, Wyoming, etc. Otherwise it would make more sense to set up OOC home/home games. Last I checked, NDSU doesn't offer the kind of scratch that those teams do.

It is quite refreshing to see a poster who gets it. (Well, Shawn-O gets it too; Shawn-O, we need you back on Bisonville.) The only part I think you are off on, is UND does not need NDSU to come to GF to help reduce what you called the "illusion." Thus why I am shocked UND did not agree to two games in Fargo; a competitive showing versus mooU is exactly what your program needs. NDSU has very little upside on any of this.

This. If NDSU schedules this game it will be the most exciting thing to happen to UND in the last decade. If you're NDSU why do you want people to get excited about UND football?

Taylor's excuses are BS, but what do you want him to say?

The payout from FBS teams are the main reason that UND is traveling to San Jose, Wyoming, etc. Otherwise it would make more sense to set up OOC home/home games. Last I checked, NDSU doesn't offer the kind of scratch that those teams do.

Not going to argue your point. My point is that money is not the only reason why things do or don't happen. If NDSU's offer even makes remote sense financially - it will happen

This is why we need it to happen - Bubba gets it! I'm confident he will get it to happen...

Yeah, I'm shocked that Faison wasn't jumping at a chance to sign a one-sided deal for a well below market guarantee.

Yet another convert who will not let pride destroy the UND football program. My work here is done.

Thumbs up to that!

The conversations have happened...it's just a matter of time and then we can all be happy the rivalry will once again play itself out!

There is little if any reason for UND to play a game in Fargo without a game in Grand Forks in return. If that happens, the AC will expect every game in Fargo from here on out. There should not be any expectation of goodwill on their part for future games as NDSU's administration is corrupt to their core.

Schweigert and UND should not give a single inch on this. UND's best bet would be to call a press conference and announce that they are discontinuing all talks of re-scheduling a game with the AC. I'd time it for right before the legislature meets and you'd have the series mandated within a few weeks.

There is little if any reason for UND to play a game in Fargo without a game in Grand Forks in return. If that happens, the AC will expect every game in Fargo from here on out. There should not be any expectation of goodwill on their part for future games as NDSU's administration is corrupt to their core.

Schweigert and UND should not give a single inch on this. UND's best bet would be to call a press conference and announce that they are discontinuing all talks of re-scheduling a game with the AC. I'd time it for right before the legislature meets and you'd have the series mandated within a few weeks.

You are adorable.

Has there been any football games mandated by a legislature?

LOL.....worst school in the BSC standings. flagship that!

A flagship university, when looking at examples from across the country, is often the most prominent public university in the state. Additionally, flagship universities are often the first to be established within the state and have the most state support.

The University of North Dakota has greater enrollment than North Dakota State University (UND > 15,000); UND has professional schools and a world-renown aviation school whereas NDSU does not; UND was founded in 1883 and NDSU was founded after in 1890. Therefore, basic logic would reveal UND fits the mold of flagship university better than NDSU. Apparently, certain individuals associated with NDSU find it difficult to embrace reality.

Also, how in the world did you come to the conclusion that football standings affect flagship school status? That's laughably idiotic.

Those were all true back in 2003.

Well, now in 2014, the schools haven't magically become farther apart. Also, the history and tradition are still there. The potential revenue and attendance boost also hasn't changed.

Where you make no sense is where you state the OOC rivalry template and open schedule dates were true in 2003. In 2003, UND and NDSU were not out-of-conference rivals, so that would not apply whatsoever. It just goes to prove you ag tech supporters are blind and selectively believe whatever forms your own pretty little reality; how sad.

We need not worry about The University of Home Economics playing UND in the near future. They appear to be joining the Big Sky Conference with their scheduling. It's just a matter of time.

Think of the epic meltdown on BV, especially watching UND beating them twice a year in the Olympic sports then beating them in football like in the 90's and 2000's.