SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Are you kidding??  Why do fans of UND, one of the greatest and most storied college hockey programs of all time, feel like the little guy of college hockey who gets picked on?  It's nothing new and it's just never made sense to me. 

I agree with you here John...the whining is relentless on this board.  And, if we could get you to stop trying to drown yourself when it rains ...

• Upvote 1

Are you kidding?? Why do fans of UND, one of the greatest and most storied college hockey programs of all time, feel like the little guy of college hockey who gets picked on? It's nothing new and it's just never made sense to me.

It was mostly a tongue in cheek comments. However the fact he was left off is quite shocking, and you even said it yourself. The gophers have at least one player in every column (forwards, defense and goalie). We had only one player show up in all three columns and that player is raw and didn't play much last year (not a knock on Keaton I am too expecting a big jump from him). However I could name a few others who may have made the cut.

I was wondering if someone was going to post that trash article.

Of course it's just my opinion that thinks it was trash

:)

I still think they make a lot of points that fans are thinking. Where do we get are goals from caggulia will get his, Mac and Parks will get there's but who else. Johnson needs to keep his game at a high level throughout the season. Schmaltz has some big shoes to fill based on all his hype.

Defense is the strength of the team. J schmaltz might be one of the top players in the league. LaDue should have another really good year. Poolman is looked at to be this years LaDue. And McIntyre might be one of the top goalies in the country.

Only thing I don't agree with are some of the line pairings that they have.

I was wondering if someone was going to post that trash article.

Of course it's just my opinion that thinks it was trash

:)

I wasn't a fan of the article either. What he is forgetting is that we had a ton of freshman playing key roles. He is almost acting like those freshman will continue being the players they were last year. Players typically get better each year, if that's the case (which it will be) I think our squad will be able to score goals. I'm not worried about scoring goals this year. The consistency of effort has always been what I worry about with Sioux teams.

I wasn't a fan of the article either. What he is forgetting is that we had a ton of freshman playing key roles. He is almost acting like those freshman will continue being the players they were last year. Players typically get better each year, if that's the case (which it will be) I think our squad will be able to score goals. I'm not worried about scoring goals this year. The consistency of effort has always been what I worry about with Sioux teams.

I agree with what you're saying besides the bolded.  Do you have examples of a lack of effort in mind with Sioux teams because from my perspective it's exactly the opposite.  The effort and will is there(ala the UNO series last year) but not necessarily the finishing when it comes to scoring.

Which is curious as to why he thinks Duluth will be that much better as well. North Dakota always has trouble scoring the 1st half of the year, and does a lot better in the second half. Yes, they didn't score a lot in a few games down the stretch, but that's playoff hockey. Minnesota only scored 1 more goal with .6 seconds left, and I don't see them being scrutinized for it. You have to be able to play defense first and foremost, and have goaltending. Those things will take you a long way, because you need that offensive push from the point in the playoffs. The bottom line is the Sioux have a chance to prove him wrong. I just hope they start down that path from the start this year instead of being in must win situations down the stretch. Playing in our conference, we certainly will be battle tested by the second half of the year.

Said writer is a proven UND hater, I am sure he had to shower up after writing that article. I agree with you, what people don't understand is UND has a lot of balance through their forward lines as well. Good to see we're on the Miami is elite theme again. Miami's goaltending and defense is decent, nothing special.

Which is curious as to why he thinks Duluth will be that much better as well.  North Dakota always has trouble scoring the 1st half of the year, and does a lot better in the second half.  Yest they didn't score a lot in a few games down the stretch, but that's playoff hockey.  Minnesota only scored 1 more goal with .6  seconds left, and I don't see them being scrutinized for it.  You have to be able to play defense first and foremost, and have goaltending.  Those things will take you a long way, because you need that offensive push from the point in the playoffs.  The bottom line is the Sioux have a chance to prove him wrong.  I just hope they start down that path from the start this year instead of being in must win situations down the stretch.  Playing in our conference, we certainly will be battle tested by the second half of the year. 

One of the factors in UND having trouble scoring early last season was that they were banged up. 

I agree with what you're saying besides the bolded. Do you have examples of a lack of effort in mind with Sioux teams because from my perspective it's exactly the opposite. The effort and will is there(ala the UNO series last year) but not necessarily the finishing when it comes to scoring.

I was talking about a period spanning 5-10 years. One that comes to mind is the st Lawrence series last year, or the Canadian club team. If I do more research I could list 10-15+ more games.

Said writer is a proven UND hater, I am sure he had to shower up after writing that article. I agree with you, what people don't understand is UND has a lot of balance through their forward lines as well. Good to see we're on the Miami is elite theme again. Miami's goaltending and defense is decent, nothing special.

The und vs Miami games will be good. We should beat them almost every game however I guarantee we will get lazy a game or two (which will be Saturday's) and their O will take over.

I was talking about a period spanning 5-10 years. One that comes to mind is the st Lawrence series last year, or the Canadian club team. If I do more research I could list 10-15+ more games.

The 2012 team that played short skaters the majority of the year and managed to win the Broadmoor and a 1 seed despite subpar talent and scoring. When you compare us to other teams in college hockey I would say we are towards the top in effort. Obviously this is a perspective thing though.

I mean we consistently make the tournament. I can't remember the last team that fell way short of expectations due to effort. Nothing like UofM losing to Anchorage at home to end their season. So I guess it depends if you hold this team to NHL standards or college because every college team has those games you're referring to.

• Upvote 1

One of the factors in UND having trouble scoring early last season was that they were banged up. 

IMO, MacMillan and Parks are the leading offensive catalysts of this team. When they're going, things tend to go well for this team. I remember the opener at Miami last year when all the talk was about Miami's big forwards and then those two and OD just outright dominated. If those three are healthy and productive, I like this team's offensive potential this year. But generally, I like the depth on our forward lines that we have the ability to put out there on a nightly basis. 

I think Drake Cagguila is the wild card this year. We need a break out year from him. Similar to Corban Knight when he became a upper classmen.

I think many realize the talent of Cags, but, outside of the UND fanbase, he's not highly regarded. Kid has all the tools to be an elite scorer. If he steps up to that 35-40 point level, we are going to be very, very dangerous this season. Can't wait.

• Upvote 2

The 2012 team that played short skaters the majority of the year and managed to win the Broadmoor and a 1 seed despite subpar talent and scoring. When you compare us to other teams in college hockey I would say we are towards the top in effort. Obviously this is a perspective thing though.

I mean we consistently make the tournament. I can't remember the last team that fell way short of expectations due to effort. Nothing like UofM losing to Anchorage at home to end their season. So I guess it depends if you hold this team to NHL standards or college because every college team has those games you're referring to.

I feel many of our first half let downs had more to do with consistency, preparation and effort than anything else.  They always turn it around, which is great, however I'm hoping they hit the ground running this year.

I think many realize the talent of Cags, but, outside of the UND fanbase, he's not highly regarded. Kid has all the tools to be an elite scorer. If he steps up to that 35-40 point level, we are going to be very, very dangerous this season. Can't wait.

Agreed, we need Cags up in that range and I think he will be up there.

I feel many of our first half let downs had more to do with consistency, preparation and effort than anything else. They always turn it around, which is great, however I'm hoping they hit the ground running this year.

I always attributed it to new guys coming into the pro style game UND played, been completely different than anything they have played in before.

However, I did like hearing Hakstol acknowledge that they are putting a concerted effort towards starting the season better in his interview with Hammer. I think he's sick of answering questions of why they always start slow and finish strong.

And as a fan, it would be a much less stressful season if we didn't have to depend on a great run to the make the tourney.