SiouxSports.com Forum

FROZEN FACEOFF - Sioux vs Miami Friday

AZSIOUX

Some of you are a bit thin skinned. It was just my honest opinion. If I thought UND would win I would honestly say so. I realize Im basing my prediction on a small sample size of last weekend but Miami's offense was really clicking and that could cause problems for UND. I certainly wasn't trolling with my post. Honestly I couldn't care less who wins.

Honestly, no one here cares about your opinion. You realize that but still try to get a rise out of the Sioux fans that post here. But please tell us again about how you are not just another in a long line of goofer trolls on SS.com.

• Upvote 4

Even watching some of the Miami/St.Cloud series I still wasn't real impressed with them. They are still pretty bad in their defensive zone and on the PK. Their goaltender didn't handle a lot of things clean one example was the horrible rebound he gave up for SCSU to push it to OT Friday. Sioux need to clean up the turnovers and transition play and play physical without taking penalties and I think they'll be fine. Miami does have high end forward talent with a lot of speed which is why it is important to put a body on them and keep them to the outside. I do think Zane will have more clean looks this weekend and less traffic and tips to deal with than he did against CC as when I've watched Miami they don't seem to get traffic and to the net a whole lot and they generate most of their opportunities off the rush. I do believe the Sioux are still undefeated this season when the game is televised by CBSSN which is the case Friday.

Even watching some of the Miami/St.Cloud series I still wasn't real impressed with them. They are still pretty bad in their defensive zone and on the PK. Their goaltender didn't handle a lot of things clean one example was the horrible rebound he gave up for SCSU to push it to OT Friday. Sioux need to clean up the turnovers and transition play and play physical without taking penalties and I think they'll be fine. Miami does have high end forward talent with a lot of speed which is why it is important to put a body on them and keep them to the outside. I do think Zane will have more clean looks this weekend and less traffic and tips to deal with than he did against CC as when I've watched Miami they don't seem to get traffic and to the net a whole lot and they generate most of their opportunities off the rush. I do believe the Sioux are still undefeated this season when the game is televised by CBSSN which is the case Friday.

Yeah I agree with the traffic in front of the net. I think 3 of CC's goals were tips in front of the net and a lot of luck plays into those as well.

So the goals last weekend were tips, mental mistakes creating bad turnovers in our own end, and one softie by Zane. It's not like CC was setting the puck up, cycling on us then making cross ice passes to a wide open backdoor play. This makes me feel like all of our issues are correctable and if we can play a smart 5 on 5 hockey game against the Redhawks we will win.

Changing gears, does anyone else notice how many mistakes Nick Mattson makes in the course of a game? He seems to bring a nice offensive side but anytime he faces a stressful situation I see him make some really terrible decisions.

• Upvote 1

as bad as Miami is in their own zone, this game will come down to whether UND can capitalize and put the puck in the back of the net. Miami can turn it over all they want but ifUND keeps shooting high, wide and an into the middle of the goalies chest it won't matter if they put 60 shots on goal.

Some of you are a bit thin skinned. It was just my honest opinion. If I thought UND would win I would honestly say so. I realize Im basing my prediction on a small sample size of last weekend but Miami's offense was really clicking and that could cause problems for UND. I certainly wasn't trolling with my post. Honestly I couldn't care less who wins.

Come on. You're going to pull the thin skinned comment? You rarely post here all year long then you decide to add a comment to your rivals forum immediately after we win a game to advance to our conference tourney noting that you think we will lose our first game? That's a troll buddy. We all know there is a chance we could lose...it's hockey. I would never head over to GPL posting that type of garbage...why? Because i do have some sort of life and I would never want to stir up commotion on their forum. You knew exactly what you were doing. It's the same stuff gfhockey does with a little formality sprinkled on top. You were looking to stir the pot. Go bug your wife/gf/partner if your looking for some drama.

• Upvote 1

Here's an old gopher fan prediction, by multiple posters when the regional was in the REA (then known to those fans as Mariucci West). Multiple trolls repeated that we better not overlook Michigan if we were planning to meet the Gophers in the regional championship. We didn't, but there were no Gophers to be found, fans nor players on championship game night. Where were you all?

• Upvote 4

Come on. You're going to pull the thin skinned comment? You rarely post here all year long then you decide to add a comment to your rivals forum immediately after we win a game to advance to our conference tourney noting that you think we will lose our first game? That's a troll buddy. We all know there is a chance we could lose...it's hockey. I would never head over to GPL posting that type of garbage...why? Because i do have some sort of life and I would never want to stir up commotion on their forum. You knew exactly what you were doing. It's the same stuff gfhockey does with a little formality sprinkled on top. You were looking to stir the pot. Go bug your wife/gf/partner if your looking for some drama.

Calm down Sally. The reasonable posters on here replied to my post just fine even saying it is a fair assesment. There was nothing offensive about my post. I'm sorry I dont agree with your opinions about anything UND hockey. I assure you I was not trying to stir the pot or get a rise out of you. I was simply making my prediction.

Calm down Sally. The reasonable posters on here replied to my post just fine even saying it is a fair assesment. There was nothing offensive about my post. I'm sorry I dont agree with your opinions about anything UND hockey. I assure you I was not trying to stir the pot or get a rise out of you. I was simply making my prediction.

Reasonable posters....because they didn't call you out for what you are? Ok, that makes sense. scpa0305 - 1 Mariucci - 0

UND hasn't looked good the past two weeks at home against bad teams. Miami impressed me at SCSU especially offensively. Honestly I think Miami wins. I just dont think UND can keep up with a talented offense like Miami's when they're clicking the way they were in St Cloud. At least not this years UND team. Just not enough scorers.

You mean like one of the bad teams that beat the 3rd best team in your conference? Just because the Big Ten doesn't have any depth to their league, don't assume other leagues don't. Of course, I can understand why you are so interested in the NCHC, because there is no excitement at all to the Big Ten.

I will defend Mariucci to this extent, CC is not a good team no matter what happened this past weekend. good teams don't end their season with just what 7 wins or whatever it was. UND was lucky to get out of that series and to extend their season for at least one more weekend. If UND comes out and plays against Miami the way they did against CC they will get beat. Miami also did something UND couldn't do, they beat SCSU more than once this season and swept them on their home ice and didn't get swept at home by them(which also isn't helping the current situation).

I don't understand why a fan of a rival team cannot come here and give an opinion. Reasonably stated opinion anyway. He's wrong, because he's a gopher fan and there's nothing right about him :lol: but why can't someone have a reasonable opinion that differs from what we want to hear? If I had thought he was gloating or taunting I'd have felt the same way as everyone else.

I do think Miami will be a very tough test. You don't beat SCSU twice at home as a fluke. There's got to be some substance to what they did last weekend. The key, though, is if they can keep up that level of play or not.

CC did the same thing (played up all weekend) and gave the Sioux everything we wanted. In a one game format, UND better be ready to go.

Personally, while the Sioux aren't world beaters I do think defense is solid and goaltending is above average. I'm hoping that helps keep Miami scoring to a minimum, and that allows a less powerful Sioux offense to win the day.

We shall see, we shall see....

• Upvote 2

I will defend Mariucci to this extent, CC is not a good team no matter what happened this past weekend. good teams don't end their season with just what 7 wins or whatever it was. UND was lucky to get out of that series and to extend their season for at least one more weekend. If UND comes out and plays against Miami the way they did against CC they will get beat. Miami also did something UND couldn't do, they beat SCSU more than once this season and swept them on their home ice and didn't get swept at home by them(which also isn't helping the current situation).

I don't disagree that und looked bad last week, however I don't appreciate the trolling by gopher fans. You are right, CC is terrible and we made some terrible mistakes in our own zone. We'll have to shore that up come Friday night.

I don't understand why a fan of a rival team cannot come here and give an opinion. Reasonably stated opinion anyway. He's wrong, because he's a gopher fan and there's nothing right about him :lol: but why can't someone have a reasonable opinion that differs from what we want to hear? If I had thought he was gloating or taunting I'd have felt the same way as everyone else. The fact that he noted we will have a tough time with Miami had nothing to do with my calling out troll tactics.

I do think Miami will be a very tough test. You don't beat SCSU twice at home as a fluke. There's got to be some substance to what they did last weekend. The key, though, is if they can keep up that level of play or not.

CC did the same thing (played up all weekend) and gave the Sioux everything we wanted. In a one game format, UND better be ready to go.

Personally, while the Sioux aren't world beaters I do think defense is solid and goaltending is above average. I'm hoping that helps keep Miami scoring to a minimum, and that allows a less powerful Sioux offense to win the day.

We shall see, we shall see....

To me it was the timing of his initial post. It was literally right after we had won Sunday night. He new UND fans were excited about the victory (even though the team played poorly) and he decided to post something negative (that many of us were thinking anyway). The timing wasn't very classy if you ask me. I would never post something on GPL after the gopher loss to Michigan Saturday night attempting to piss people off. Had he waited a day or two to chime in I wouldn't have cared....I simply understood what he was trying to do, it was very obvious. Typically his posts aren't bad though.

Miami is a better team than the one we played a month ago, they are fighting for their season and don’t forget hosting a regional.

Yes we are fighting as well, and we have had some great periods of hockey, but haven’t thrown together a complete 60 min game yet, I think Miami did that last week against SCSU, now can they do it again?

Our overtime against CC we came out on fire, our first period on Sunday we played Sioux hockey, the rest we just skated around, lots of miscues and defensive breakdowns. I am fairly certain everyone in the arena knew CC was going to score in OT once they got the puck.

Our lack of pure goal scoring has hampered us however the depth and consistency of all four of our lines can overcome that handicap, if they play every shift like it’s their last. I do feel that right now Miami will be the tougher of the opponents the Sioux will face in the Target Center, would love to see UND/DU but that WMU team is clicking along pretty good right now just don’t know if they have the depth to keep it rolling.

Well Miami is 5-11-1 since the turn of the year. Their scoring 2.5 goals per game and giving up 3.61 goals against per game.

Very true, I lean towards und being very aware of what their opponent can do if we don't play well, however, stats don't lie.

I'm calling a 4-3 und win. Hopefully the boys can score first and stay out of the box.

To me it was the timing of his initial post. It was literally right after we had won Sunday night. He new UND fans were excited about the victory (even though the team played poorly) and he decided to post something negative (that many of us were thinking anyway). The timing wasn't very classy if you ask me. I would never post something on GPL after the gopher loss to Michigan Saturday night attempting to piss people off. Had he waited a day or two to chime in I wouldn't have cared....I simply understood what he was trying to do, it was very obvious. Typically his posts aren't bad though.

No it wasn't. I posted it last night(Monday) .

The Sioux somehow have to find the level that they had against Denver and Duluth. Don't think we've seen that the last few weekends, and hopefully we won't be pointing at those games as their peaking point of the season.

The Sioux NEED to play every game like they played that friday night against St.Cloud!! I think that was the best game I've seen them play all year