SiouxSports.com Forum

The Second-Half Surge: Math or Myth?

Dave Berger

I am a Bison fan(Finance Major)....and a Gopher hockey fan(Sky-U-Mah!),

That said, UND consistently has churned out solid second half teams....think of it like a stock market. Trends are a real thing. UND is consistently a second half team....whether or not that is Hak's doing is up to the educated hockey folks. But as long as I can recollect...UND has been traditionally done well in the second half before crashing and burning in the national tourney. Whether that is because they run into a better team or a "hot goalie" or whatever is beyond me. I am not a hockey mind. I look at things from a trend perspective.

UND may have been the best team in individual seasons in certain seasons throughout the past years....but hockey is a weird game from what I have gathered(I know very little about the game). They do tend to have a significantly better record the second half of the season. Data suggests that at some point they put their crap together....only to break your hearts(which I am more than content with).

Go Bison

Go Gophers

JBND7

That said, UND consistently has churned out solid second half teams....think of it like a stock market. Trends are a real thing. UND is consistently a second half team....whether or not that is Hak's doing is up to the educated hockey folks. But as long as I can recollect...UND has been traditionally done well in the second half before crashing and burning in the national tourney. Whether that is because they run into a better team or a "hot goalie" or whatever is beyond me. I am not a hockey mind. I look at things from a trend perspective.

UND may have been the best team in individual seasons in certain seasons throughout the past years....but hockey is a weird game from what I have gathered(I know very little about the game). They do tend to have a significantly better record the second half of the season. Data suggests that at some point they put their crap together....only to break your hearts(which I am more than content with).

Go Bison

Go Gophers

JBND7

And the gophers are a first half team. They tend to get a lot calls their way early in the season and eat up those power plays, as the year goes on the the refs start swallowing their whistles they tend to take their own second half slumber....only to crash and burn in the NCAA's (or before). Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 2

10 years...same scenario. As frustrated as I, and couple other UND fans, get at the play early on every season one can't argue with the second half success.

To quote the infamous gfhockey..."in hakk we trudtt"!

Do the March stats include playoffs? If it does, we should have a pair of bottom dweller victories every March from the first round of the playoffs- well bottom dweller most years.

I'd be interested in seeing the variation in opponent RPI during both periods. I'd also like to see how much variation there is if we flex the dates by say two weeks.

There is a trend, my question is how durable, and can we make an intelligent deduction on causality.

I'm starting to think that I'm talking to the analysts at work...the stock market reference really makes me scared...following trend and momentum voodoo is fine if you're a day trader, it is (along with huge leverage) very responsible for Lehman and the near economic collapse. Miss a variable in your model due to a poor understanding of true causality, and the formula flips and now you're on the backside of a bad leverage position.

Do the March stats include playoffs? If it does, we should have a pair of bottom dweller victories every March from the first round of the playoffs- well bottom dweller most years.

Yes, the March stats I used included all games played - end of the regular season, conference tournament, and regionals.

I also broke things down by month, and November is by far the worst month record-wise: 35-36-6 (.494).

Compare that with:

October: 34-21-9 (.602)

November: 35-36-6 (.494)

December: 36-16-3 (.682)

January: 47-23-9 (.652)

February: 40-11-8 (.746)

March: 60-16-5 (.772)

And we all know about April. :sad:

I wonder if the dip in November has to do with the first time through the conference schedule. Next week, I'll run the numbers for first half of league schedule vs. second half of league schedule to see if I can find something. That would eliminate most of the variance from non-conference games and the league playoffs.

Dave

Go Bison

Go Gophers

JBND7

Sky-U-Mah huh? Huge gopher fan then?

• Upvote 2

You see, YaneA, we were poking fun at JohnboyND7 for being a Gopher "fan" but apparently not knowing the difference between "sky" and "ski" in the fight song. I was trying to be additionally amusing by using a popular saying in Kansas basketball, "rock...chalk...Jayhawk" and instead substituted "Gophers" for "Jayhawks".

I apologize for losing you... :lol:

Go Bison

Go Gophers

JBND7

off topic but what does sky-u-mah mean?

You see, YaneA, we were poking fun at JohnboyND7 for being a Gopher "fan" but apparently not knowing the difference between "sky" and "ski" in the fight song. I was trying to be additionally amusing by using a popular saying in Kansas basketball, "rock...chalk...Jayhawk" and instead substituted "Gophers" for "Jayhawks".

I apologize for losing you... :lol:

Let's see if I've got this: Kansas is a state in the Midwest and basketball is a niche sport. Is that right?

From Wikipedia:

Ski-U-Mah (pronounced sky-you-ma) is a slogan used at the University of Minnesota since 1894.

U of M Rugby captain John Adams who coined the phrase in 1884, had heard Sioux boys yell "ski-yoo!" when they won canoe races on Lake Pepin. He took that as the Sioux word for victory, or exultation. A co-captain added the "mah" to make it rhyme with "rah" and created "Ski-U-Mah!"

So it is yet another COPY of Sioux lore by Minnesota.

In other words, petey 23 is correct: Roll Terd.....