SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

59 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If he thinks that, good for him. Also in that scenario, I respectfully disagree with his assessment of the programs, and I hope UND stomps all over SDSU in the not-so-distant future. SDSU lost last season to a Big Sky Conference team in the postseason; I certainly hope UND is not that far behind or else ...

Until UND actually does something in football like beat SDSU, I don't see why any football recruit, with all things equal, would choose UND over SDSU. That can change with the potential UND may have like they did in D2, but until that actually happens, UND remains a D1 team that has never even made the playoffs.  These kids don't know, and don't care what happened 10+ years ago.  It's all about what's happening right before their eyes, and right now in D1 SDSU is a much better program than UND.  The only possible thing UND could sell over SDSU is the opportunity to get the program back on the right track.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Until UND actually does something in football like beat SDSU, I don't see why any football recruit, with all things equal, would choose UND over SDSU. That can change with the potential UND may have like they did in D2, but until that actually happens, UND remains a D1 team that has never even made the playoffs.  These kids don't know, and don't care what happened 10+ years ago.  It's all about what's happening right before their eyes, and right now in D1 SDSU is a much better program than UND.  The only possible thing UND could sell over SDSU is the opportunity to get the program back on the right track.

At this point, this is what coaches can show recruits regarding the playoffs:

SDSU

Year Round Opponent Result
2009 First Round Montana L 48–61
2012 First Round
Second Round
Eastern Illinois
North Dakota State
W 58–10
L 3–28
2013 First Round
Second Round
Northern Arizona
Eastern Washington
W 26–7
L 17–41
2014 First Round
Second Round
Montana State
North Dakota State
W 47–40
L 24–27
2015 First Round Montana L 17–24

UND

Year Round Opponent Result

Got Screwed    

Selection Committee

-

Understandable, why a recruit would give SDSU a serious look.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

You sure? His name was under Offers on the Wiki, or am I reading it wrong? Regardless .... we should be recruiting anyone who plays on the line and is named Bacon.

There are plenty of kids that we have on our offer list and are no longer in contact with the staff I would guess - whether UND's choice or the players.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

There are plenty of kids that we have on our offer list and are no longer in contact with the staff I would guess - whether UND's choice or the players.

Hambone is correct.  I take care of the Wiki page.  The "offered" list includes all players who, at one time or another, received an offer from us.  Unless it is verified (which UND wouldn't do and a player seldom does) that the offer has been rescinded, the prospect remains on that list.

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Uh all things are never equal. There are plenty of reasons a student-athlete chooses a school other than the past seasons record. At some Universities they actually recruit kids who are interested in getting an education in their field of interest. There's one. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Hambone is correct.  I take care of the Wiki page.  The "offered" list includes all players who, at one time or another, received an offer from us.  Unless it is verified (which UND wouldn't do and a player seldom does) that the offer has been rescinded, the prospect remains on that list.

Thanks, good to know... and thanks for doing the wiki

19 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Any idea how Randolph compares to Chinn. Just curious if the talent level is similar in terms of replacing Chinn (hopefully)

Watched some video of both. Both are great athletes impressive highlights. Randolphs tape was basically of him playing QB. Awesome option QB by the way. Tough to say how good he turns out to be as a DB. Chinn's video was really good. I think if he was actually 6-2 he'd be a FBS prospect. He didn't appear to be that tall to me. If he is SIU is getting a steal. 

With all that rambling I confidently say I have no clue which one is going to be a better DB but they have about equal amount of athletic ability. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Uh all things are never equal. There are plenty of reasons a student-athlete chooses a school other than the past seasons record. At some Universities they actually recruit kids who are interested in getting an education in their field of interest. There's one. 

CMSioux  good post.  Sampson may not remember Jenny Kruse signing with UND to play basketball.  She was legit DI but wanted to be a pilot. 

I looking forward to a time when a Top notch QB, LB, RB or WR signs with UND to be a pilot or interested in flying Drones or something along those lines.

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 0:21 PM, UNDColorado said:

There are football coaches that come and hang out at the high school winter sports events and act surprised they are running across athletes by accident they are very obviously there to see even during lock out times. It is quite obvious there are communication strategies of letting athletes know they are wanted so when lock out times open up this doesn't appear to be so odd as it reads.

12 minutes ago, Momster said:

There are football coaches that come and hang out at the high school winter sports events and act surprised they are running across athletes by accident they are very obviously there to see even during lock out times. It is quite obvious there are communication strategies of letting athletes know they are wanted so when lock out times open up this doesn't appear to be so odd as it reads.

Your son made a decision yet?

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Joe Markert@joe_markert 17h17 hours ago Bloomington, MN

Just received a chance to play football at University of North Dakota next year!

He is one big dude.  big snacks is a morsel next to this guy.

He has also received an offer from Illinois. 

Wow, Joe "The Mountain" Markert. Pretty stiff and slow but you can't teach girth like that in the middle.

Just now, UND Fan said:

Your son made a decision yet?

No.  I know everyone around him has high expectations and they want him to play in college.  Right now he just doesn't want to talk about it and everyone asks him 100 times a week if he wants to play in college.  Right now, today he just wants to eat Chipotle and play video games because finals were stressful.   We don't ask unless he wants to talk about it or brings it up.  We are supportive of him but when everyone keeps asking him I just tell him let it go for today because today big strong boys have things they can be doing and I put a shovel in his hands and tell him there is a pile of snow with his name on it.

Some days he comes home and gushes about what he wants to do and then he goes silent about it for weeks on end. His coach will tell me he's met with various college coaches and he doesn't always tell us and would you believe he says he forgets to tell us and I believe him.  I am his Mom and kids don't tell their mothers everything for sure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Joe Markert@joe_markert 17h17 hours ago Bloomington, MN

Just received a chance to play football at University of North Dakota next year!

He is one big dude.  big snacks is a morsel next to this guy.

He has also received an offer from Illinois. 

Wow, 6-7 345. Move him to O-line?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1862490/highlights/315674398/v2

• Upvote 1