SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

1 minute ago, bang said:

Has to be DL. We have no commits for the DL. 

Not disputing you as I am no expert, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but by my count, we are loaded at our 3 DL spots with: Greely, Harris, Dranka, Engwall, Denny, N. Johnson, Carrothers, Cieslak, Greer, Alm, Wilson, Bennett, Schmitz.  I apologize in advance if any of these guys are no longer with the team, but I have not heard anything about them to question their participation.

I'm thinking that OL, safety and, of course, QB if available have to be our biggest needs moving forward.

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Not disputing you as I am no expert, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but by my count, we are loaded at our 3 DL spots with: Greely, Harris, Dranka, Engwall, Denny, N. Johnson, Carrothers, Cieslak, Greer, Alm, Wilson, Bennett, Schmitz.  I apologize in advance if any of these guys are no longer with the team, but I have not heard anything about them to question their participation.

I'm thinking that OL, safety and, of course, QB if available have to be our biggest needs moving forward.

You're right we are loaded at DL right now, but most of them will be  gone in four years from now. I like to see balance in a recruiting class and we have 5 OL with one being a PWO and two scholarship safeties. Of course QB is always a top need. Of course coaches have plans for what they want and need. So, I really don't know what they're looking for but just saying what I'd be doing. 

4 minutes ago, bang said:

You're right we are loaded at DL right now, but most of them will be  gone in four years from now. I like to see balance in a recruiting class and we have 5 OL with one being a PWO and two scholarship safeties. Of course QB is always a top need. Of course coaches have plans for what they want and need. So, I really don't know what they're looking for but just saying what I'd be doing. 

Good point, should definitely add a talented DL to the mix.  Since rumors, albeit vague, are slowly starting to turn true this week... any more word on that speculation a while back about a transfer DL from Texas?

3 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Good point, should definitely add a talented DL to the mix.  Since rumors, albeit vague, are slowly starting to turn true this week... any more word on that speculation a while back about a transfer DL from Texas?

All I've heard is rumors about the transfer. Someone mentioned a pipe dream of Cieslak's brother but you never know. I wish I could give you good news but that's all I got. Which is basically no news at all. 

8 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I've seen mentions of Hoilday Inn Express in jest a few times on the board, is that a reference to gfhockey's GOBC? or is that where recruits stay? or opposing teams? whats the backstory, if no one minds sharing?

3 minutes ago, ClassB said:

I've seen mentions of Hoilday Inn Express in jest a few times on the board, is that a reference to gfhockey's GOBC? or is that where recruits stay? or opposing teams? whats the backstory, if no one minds sharing?

It's a riff off a famous national commercial. Probably becoming a little cliche by now. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Three UM DB recruits have decommitted.  I hope that doesn't prompt them to go after Holm!!! 

Seems to me they were a little over committed in that area, and to be honest I think they they had a pretty good idea that the Daniels twins would never set foot on campus as part of the team.  Haven't seen Holm on any wish lists for them, but you never know.

8 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Three UM DB recruits have decommitted.  I hope that doesn't prompt them to go after Holm!!! 

good grief, I hope not. Although, really, why would you want to go play for that dumpster fire of a school right now.

Basketball - Complete Mess

Football - Maybe Claeys will get it done, but I really don't think he is the right guy for the job. At least he can tout winning a high level bowl game over elite competition :)

Hockey - This one is pitiful. I grew up a goofer fan until I came to UND and saw the light. Can't stand gopher hockey, but at the same time it is tough to see just how far they have fallen. When we play next year, I don't want to see us dominate a crappy unranked team; I want to see us dominate a mid to high level ranked gopher squad. That was half the fun in the past. Their program has just become pitiful. Can't compete in the Little 6 Conference and can't even retain a lot of their MN recruits. Good Bye Don, I think your time is up.

Mr Holm - If you are reading, UND is your future :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hambone said:

Seems to me they were a little over committed in that area, and to be honest I think they they had a pretty good idea that the Daniels twins would never set foot on campus as part of the team.  Haven't seen Holm on any wish lists for them, but you never know.

I would agree, they still have four DB commitments plus they may think Holm is a little small for Big Ten FB.

4 hours ago, Hambone said:

Sounds like they will still add a DB or 2 but I have seen a few names of guys that they will target at DB and can't say I've seen Holm's name at all.The Daniels were planning to visit Maryland and it sounded like the staff told them go ahead and visit if you want but if you do that than were gonna move on. The other DB they lost was a juco kid who didn't graduate at semester like he was supposed to and they decided to move on rather than wait until the spring.  

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

good grief, I hope not. Although, really, why would you want to go play for that dumpster fire of a school right now.

Basketball - Complete Mess

Football - Maybe Claeys will get it done, but I really don't think he is the right guy for the job. At least he can tout winning a high level bowl game over elite competition :)

Hockey - This one is pitiful. I grew up a goofer fan until I came to UND and saw the light. Can't stand gopher hockey, but at the same time it is tough to see just how far they have fallen. When we play next year, I don't want to see us dominate a crappy unranked team; I want to see us dominate a mid to high level ranked gopher squad. That was half the fun in the past. Their program has just become pitiful. Can't compete in the Little 6 Conference and can't even retain a lot of their MN recruits. Good Bye Don, I think your time is up.

Mr Holm - If you are reading, UND is your future :)

As a Gopher fan in everything but hockey I will say the basketball is hard to watch this year and its more fun to look forward to next season. They are very young with only 3 upperclassmen and those 3 probably playing the worst of anyone who gets any playing time. Pitino does have a very good recruiting class and a couple solid transfers sitting out and will need to produce next season. Everyone knew this year would be a struggle but maybe didn't expect it to be  quite this bad.

As for football I like Claeys and think he is a good fit. He made a couple of tough calls getting rid of the QB coach and OL/OC after the regular season who had worked with a long time and that was probably the right call but had to be tough with the longtime relationship. They have had some turnover on recruits but most of that is differences in philosophy between some of the coaches who had made the call to take the guy and who is in charge now. Really the only one that wasn't a "mutal" parting was losing a juco DE to Oklahoma State as he was a very solid pass rusher and that is something they lacked.

I really can't see the Gophers offering Holm anything other than a PWO spot so if he wants a scholarship I would think he will end up at UND.  

On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 2:39 PM, bang said:

All I've heard is rumors about the transfer. Someone mentioned a pipe dream of Cieslak's brother but you never know. I wish I could give you good news but that's all I got. Which is basically no news at all. 

I shouldn't have brought up Cieslak's brother, but from third hand information sounds like they wanted more personal brotherly interaction, the family situation is better here, and A&M is not ideal for playing time.  But there are other complicating factors.

18 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I shouldn't have brought up Cieslak's brother, but from third hand information sounds like they wanted more personal brotherly interaction, the family situation is better here, and A&M is not ideal for playing time.  But there are other complicating factors.

I think its a natural thought when somebody brings up Texas transfer to think about Cieslak. Rumors are assumptions made by people. I don't think rumors are bad by defintion as long as the rumors aren't malicious and negative.  Rumors become bad when people take rumors as fact. This is a forum if somebody wants to make assumptions thats what this is all about. People take it to far by claiming rumors to be true. I don't think you have anything to apologise for in this case. 

On 1/13/2016 at 10:45 AM, UND Fan said:

Word around the Twin Cities is that the Gophers don't even look at in-state players for the DBs and skill positions. They generally go south for those recruits, with a few exceptions of course, and look mostly at O and D linemen in the state. That may not be the new coaching regime's stance, but we really won't know until a year or two from now.

22 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Do we have any idea of which recruits should be on campus this weekend?

SFI has this list:

Brett Finke: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2218743/brett-finke
Cameron Hunt: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1506039/cameron-hunt
Ben Bolinske: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1605991/benjamin-bolinske
Bennett Helgren: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1740849/bennett-helgren
Nathan Nguon: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2679944/nathan-nguon
Sean Russo: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4284084/sean-russo
Alex Cloyd: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1777374/alex-cloyd

Any others?  All but Russo on this list are commits.