SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

There's no western MAC. There should be one.

Why? So there can be a competition to be the laughing stock of FBS? Raise your hand if you want to join a conference that has to play games Tuesday through Saturday to try and stay relevant. 

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

Why? So there can be a competition to be the laughing stock of FBS? Raise your hand if you want to join a conference that has to play games Tuesday through Saturday to try and stay relevant. 

You don't have to repeat others' silly errors like that MAC mistake. 

Right now the western FBS schools get to schedule FCS teams (bargain prices). What UND gets for playing Washington is not what a SunBelt team gets for playing an SEC. 

2 hours ago, Bill the Dog said:

What is your point??  Benson is leaving his current post at the end of the current academic year (or July 1, 2019) and off to retirement.

Exactly. Obviously things can change, but he'll be 67 when he steps down. I don't think he's looking for a new, long-term gig.

Karl Benson is stepping down as commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference with the 66-year-old saying “now is the right time” for the move. He’ll remain in the position until his current contract is up on June 30, 2019.

“I have labored over this decision for several months, but I know that now is the right time to step aside from the Sun Belt and conclude my career as a commissioner and in intercollegiate athletics,” Benson said in a statement Thursday. “I am very proud of what the Sun Belt has been able to accomplish since starting here in 2012.”

3 hours ago, southpaw said:

And . . . The MAC would be a better situation than the WAC.  So there’s that.

This board and especially the trolls should reread the UTRG football feasibility executive summary.

https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/local/utrgv-football-feasibility-study-reveals-benefits-pitfalls/article_eb507996-f843-5b25-b3b8-89ccc9b04442.html?mode=jqfm

“Given the size of the university and its aspirational goal to be recognized as a Tier One research institution, CSS (College Sports Solutions) would recommend entry at the FBS level, which would require an invitation from an existing conference.   Despite the funding challenges, virtually every University constituent, as well as the surrounding communities, are in agreement that adding (FBS level) football would be a dramatic and positive step in raising awareness for the university, and legitimizing the UTRGV athletic program and enhancing the achool’s image.”

A reminder that the WAC, which already contains UTRGV, can give out FBS membership.

UND has more passionate fans than UTRGV can ever dream of.  FBS would be a huge step for UND, but it’s more than capable of exceeding some FBS schools.

On 8/16/2018 at 2:13 PM, The Sicatoka said:

You don't have to repeat others' silly errors like that MAC mistake. 

Right now the western FBS schools get to schedule FCS teams (bargain prices). What UND gets for playing Washington is not what a SunBelt team gets for playing an SEC. 

I would say this about the SEC and the ACC, and some in the PAC12/B12. . . They are somewhat supportive of All-DI Football, and make it a priority to play and give paydays to FCS teams in their areas.  Whereas, the B1G would just as soon kill FCS football, and pays them as minimally as possible.  

MN and WI specifically have their panties pretty tight with regard to FCS and G5 football, finding the worst team options possible when scheduling.  I’ll give more credit to NE and IA for having a spine.  WI did just schedule SD, so that’s a step in the right direction (not sure about the payday.)

24 minutes ago, Herd said:

I would say this about the SEC and the ACC, and some in the PAC12/B12. . . They are somewhat supportive of All-DI Football, and make it a priority to play and give paydays to FCS teams in their areas.  Whereas, the B1G would just as soon kill FCS football, and pays them as minimally as possible.  

MN and WI specifically have their panties pretty tight with regard to FCS and G5 football, finding the worst team options possible when scheduling.  I’ll give more credit to NE and IA for having a spine.  WI did just schedule SD, so that’s a step in the right direction (not sure about the payday.)

MN is probably scared of regularly scheduling MVFC teams.

• Like 1

The UT-Arlington AD is in conversations about restarting FBS, according to a Dallas News report based on FOIA.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/07/30/texas-need-football-starting-college-football-programin-lone-star-state-worth-price

This would be the sixth or seventh school fighting for Metroplex support, after Texas, A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, SMU, North Texas and maybe Baylor and Oklahoma.  What is stopping UT-Dallas, which is a very large research school, but relatively new?

UTA is already in the Sun Belt, so an FBS bid would be automatic.

Edited by SiouxVolley

On 8/17/2018 at 8:34 PM, Herd said:

They’ll schedule the MVFC, as long as it’s Indiana St.

probably?  Definitely is much more accurate.

Mo St would get million$+ offers form BIG schools if it moved up from FCS, as wins are bowl eligible..

It only wants the MVC for Olympic sports, as the MVC has a very large payout for years to come.   

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Mo St would get million$+ offers form BIG schools if it moved up from FCS, as wins are bowl eligible..

It only wants the MVC for Olympic sports, as the MVC has a very large payout for years to come.   

Ny4eg6z.jpg

3 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

Kind of reminds me of sdsu’s Expansion in brookings. The other metropolis on the verge of an fbs press conference!

The Ogden metro towers over Manhattan, KSU, Lawrence, Ks, Ames, Ia, Stillwater, Ok, Pullman, Wa, West Lafayette, In, Auburn, Al, Oxford, Ms, Starkville, Ms, and other P5 locales.  Haven’t even named the villages that host G5 schools.  To some even Brookings is impressive.  

You bisson trolls don’t even know geography.

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So bison trolls and others will continue on record that Weber St will not go FBS:

https://weberstatesports.com/news/2018/8/17/general-weber-state-to-begin-construction-on-complex-at-stewart-stadium.aspx

I don't know if Weber St. will go FBS or not, but IMO this news just illustrates how ludicrous it was for North Dakota to voluntarily leave the Big Sky Conference.  The Big Sky seems to have universities willing to invest in their programs.  On the other hand, the SumValley seems to have schools wondering how they are going to keep the lights on in their gyms and stadiums............

People think of the Big Sky as a football league because of the Montana schools, but for me, just as big a draw to that league for me was Weber St.  Their basketball pedigree far exceeds anything that the Summit can offer and its not even close.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Ogden metro towers over Manhattan, KSU, Lawrence, Ks, Ames, Ia, Stillwater, Ok, Pullman, Wa, West Lafayette, In, Auburn, Al, Oxford, Ms, Starkville, Ms, and other P5 locales.  Haven’t even named the villages that host G5 schools.  To some even Brookings is impressive.  

There are 84,000 people living in Ogden Utah, settle down.

44 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

You listed a bunch of schools founded over a 100 years ago....all of which are either major "flagship" or "land grant" schools. Weber will never be either of those.

24 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I don't know if Weber St. will go FBS or not, but IMO this news just illustrates how ludicrous it was for North Dakota to voluntarily leave the Big Sky Conference.  The Big Sky seems to have universities willing to invest in their programs.  On the other hand, the SumValley seems to have schools wondering how they are going to keep the lights on in their gyms and stadiums............

People think of the Big Sky as a football league because of the Montana schools, but for me, just as big a draw to that league for me was Weber St.  Their basketball pedigree far exceeds anything that the Summit can offer and its not even close.  

With all those big wins in the Dance...Weber rocks. Last time they even won a game I was 7.

Nothing wrong with the Big Sky.  Nothing wrong with the Summit.  Both have strengths and weaknesses.

3 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

There are nearly 600k people in the immediate Ogden -Clearfield MSA.  Add 2.2 million just 80 miles south in the SLC metro area.

Ogden isn’t Dilworth, as the bisson trolls assume.

4 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

SiouxVolley's guarantees of schools moving up doesn't care about population areas:

Grand Forks MSA 101,000

Brookings MSA 35,000

Vermillion MSA 14,000

Bozeman 94,000

Missoula 110,000

Hardly massive areas with a large number of fans to support the team year in and year out.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

There are nearly 600k people in the immediate Ogden -Clearfield MSA.  Add 2.2 million just 80 miles south in the SLC metro area.

Ogden isn’t Dilworth, as the bisson trolls assume.

Hey idiot, I too know how to read a map, Lawrence Kansas is only 40 miles from Kansas City! Kc doesn’t count towards the Lawrence metro, but Salt Lake City does for Ogden?  You are nothing but a facts to fit your narrative troll, get medication please.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, southpaw said:

SiouxVolley's guarantees of schools moving up doesn't care about population areas:

Grand Forks MSA 101,000

Brookings MSA 35,000

Vermillion MSA 14,000

Bozeman 94,000

Missoula 110,000

Hardly massive areas with a large number of fans to support the team year in and year out.

Those are all flagship schools, so the whole state counts as potential fans.

1 hour ago, Texas rancher said:

Hey idiot, I too know how to read a map, Lawrence Kansas is only 40 miles from Kansas City! Kc doesn’t count towards the Lawrence metro, but Salt Lake City does for Ogden?  You are nothing but a facts to fit your narrative troll, get medication please.

That funny because you said Ogden only had 88k and that eliminates Weber St.  But Ogden metro has more than enough metro population for FBS that doesn’t include Salt Lake.

Trolls here like you will really be needing med’s when FBS happens.  But maybe a constantly stuffed stomach would suffice as it works for most NDSU grads.

On 8/21/2018 at 6:39 PM, SiouxVolley said:

So bison trolls and others will continue on record that Weber St will not go FBS:

https://weberstatesports.com/news/2018/8/17/general-weber-state-to-begin-construction-on-complex-at-stewart-stadium.aspx

No where in that article does it say that Weber State is moving up to FBS football. 

• Upvote 3