SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Research intensive schools with football that are DI are FBS with very few exceptions.

Have said for some time that UND will get a Ralph-like donation for a new stadium.  The Ralph had a dramatic impact on cash flow BTW.

Lol your sugar daddy better hurry up if we are gonna meet your prediction of 2025. It'll take 2-3 years to build a stadium. That doesn't include the planning and approval stages which might be even longer.

Oh and REA had such a dramatic impact on cash flow that we are cutting sports.....:whistling:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

Lol your sugar daddy better hurry up if we are gonna meet your prediction of 2025. It'll take 2-3 years to build a stadium. That doesn't include the planning and approval stages which might be even longer.

An enlarged stadium would not be necessary until 2023, which would be the 2nd year of FBS transition.  The goal is to qualify for the pot of CFP money in 2025.

Our previous Presidents didn’t have the balls to cut sports.  Many of them were funded at D2 levels or worse.  They feared the SJWs too much, and did not pursue excellence or even competence

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I like SiouxVolley's thought process.  He sees the big picture.  Whether he is right or wrong, time will tell I suppose.  

He wants UND to go nationwide in all sports, like we are in hockey.   It seems like 90% of folks here would be happy with tippy toeing into Fargo.  

The Big Sky offered us a huge opportunity to set ourselves apart, but for some reason few seemed to embrace it, including the fanbase and administration.

IMO, slamming the door on the Big Sky will go down as an even  bigger mistake to the athletic department as it was to wait 5 years to join DI after UNC, SDSU, an NDSU did.

Honestly, the nickname fiasco has been handled far better than conference affiliation issues.  And that's not saying much...........

I'm with bin on this 100%. UND getting an invite to the Big Sky was a huge opportunity to forge new relationships that was not fully developed. The regional appeal of the Summit was too much to pass up during the (hopefully temporary) budget issues UND had to address. 

Also like SiouxVolley's thought process and forward thinking. Is his timeline 100% accurate? Maybe not. However, he is looking forward to the future of college athletics, FBS and UND. Feels like the Montanas will stay FCS until Idaho lights a fire under their butts, but UND absolutely cannot afford to pass if/when a scenario like SiouxVolley has put forward comes to fruition.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

NDSU has long wanted FBS, as it’s embarrassing  to them that they have won so many consecutive FCS championships and haven’t got an FBS bite.  There is no way they get that unless they cooperate with UND and certain Big Sky schools and start their own FBS conference.  UND’s recent acceptance by the MVFC, which we were all told by the Fargo media and trolls in the past was impossible, shows how Gene Taylor and certain NDSU presidents always had an issue with UND football.  That cannot be denied now, but it is and needs to be brought to the light.  Journalists in Fargo refuse to talk about their dirty politics of the past.  The leading schools in the Big Sky wanted us because we had resources to be FBS.  They just needed to be firm with NDSU to quit playing their games, which Chapman tried when he was attempting to get in.

According to who?  I have never heard any President, AD, coach, etc ever say that.  To speculate that is what they want to do is nonsense.  Sure, they have been successful at the FCS level.  But you need two things to move up to FBS.  Conference invite,and most importantly, money.  And lots of it.  No leadership has ever said they want to move up to FBS.  Any statement saying they do is just nonsense.  Unless you have proof........oh wait.  forgot who I was talking to you.  Speculation and hearsay trump numbers and facts for you.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

According to who?  I have never heard any President, AD, coach, etc ever say that.  To speculate that is what they want to do is nonsense.  Sure, they have been successful at the FCS level.  But you need two things to move up to FBS.  Conference invite,and most importantly, money.  And lots of it.  No leadership has ever said they want to move up to FBS.  Any statement saying they do is just nonsense.  Unless you have proof........oh wait.  forgot who I was talking to you.  Speculation and hearsay trump numbers and facts for you.

Of course they wouldn’t say that as they don’t have a conference offering.  Bresciani would take up an FBS offer in a minute.

But because you believe so fervently that no FCS presidents want FBS, feel free to keep your believing falsehoods.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 5:49 AM, SiouxVolley said:

But an easier angle is just to take over the Summit using football while maintaining the NCAA autobid and money flow.   Without football, the Summit is a dead conference in three years as it hasn’t added DII teams years ago to avoid the loss of an autobid.   The impending loss of PUFW, which will happen in spite of bisons saying they are real happy, would kill the Summit, as there are no replacement for men’s soccer and baseball in the region.

Folks, this aspect is real.

The Summit is keeping its MBB autobid under the "BB plus two other mens team sports" rule. The other NCAA option is "MBB and FB" to be sponsored by the conference. 

Those "two other mens team sports" have to have 6 members playing for it to count.

If the Summit loses PUFW (IPFW? MIC-KEY-MOU-SE?) it's a double shot. Six Summits play baseball, including PUFW. Six Summits (includes two affiliates already) play mens soccer and PUFW is one of those. Lose PUFW and it's a double-shot: You have to find a baseball and a soccer school, ... or go begging hat-in-hand again to the NCAA for another exemption. 

How do you get out of this conundrum? Well, five Summit schools play football now. Add one and go under the "BB and FB" rule -- Summit League football. 

If Summit League football is created, who knows what follows. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Folks, this aspect is real.

The Summit is keeping its MBB autobid under the "BB plus two other mens team sports" rule. The other NCAA option is "MBB and FB" to be sponsored by the conference. 

Those "two other mens team sports" have to have 6 members playing for it to count.

If the Summit loses PUFW (IPFW? MIC-KEY-MOU-SE?) it's a double shot. Six Summits play baseball, including PUFW. Six Summits (includes two affiliates already) play mens soccer and PUFW is one of those. Lose PUFW and it's a double-shot: You have to find a baseball and a soccer school, ... or go begging hat-in-hand again to the NCAA for another exemption. 

How do you get out of this conundrum? Well, five Summit schools play football now. Add one and go under the "BB and FB" rule -- Summit League football. 

If Summit League football is created, who knows what follows. 

IPFW has wanted out for awhile but they have no where to go. Rumors are the Summit is looking at UMKC and Augustana. I don't know how realistic Augie is but Sanford is willing to throw a bunch of money at it. If you are counting on Summit League FB then I wouldn't count on WIU sticking around either so you best be looking for 2 schools with FB to add. Maybe if IPFW and WIU left the Montana's maybe more inclined to join but I doubt it. NC and Weber might be more realistic but again I don't see it happening.

40 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

IPFW has wanted out for awhile but they have no where to go. Rumors are the Summit is looking at UMKC and Augustana. I don't know how realistic Augie is but Sanford is willing to throw a bunch of money at it. If you are counting on Summit League FB then I wouldn't count on WIU sticking around either so you best be looking for 2 schools with FB to add. Maybe if IPFW and WIU left the Montana's maybe more inclined to join but I doubt it. NC and Weber might be more realistic but again I don't see it happening.

At some point Augie needs to announce publicly what their plans are. They too have a FB issue that they have to deal with if they decide to move up. UMKC isn't even sure they want to be D1.  I would guess if they options were go back to the Summit or go D2 they would choose option 1.

Montanas would be a dream, but that is all it will be for now is a dream.

You know what I would have done as a commish? If Basketball is my bread and butter, I go get the best basketball school and weaken a conference to the point where they are a sitting duck and make the Summit a strong 1 big league and perhaps a 2 bid league on some years. 

27 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Could the MVFC simply realign itself under the Summit umbrella and call it good?

DU, UND, and UNO are Summit and NCHC.
Could the NCHC realign itself under the Summit and be a "mens team sport"?
Imaging the wailing and gnashing of teeth, then rending of garments, in Fargo and Brookings if the Summit MBB autobid was dependent upon hockey . 

The key here is the MBB autobid (and associated payola). That must be protected above all else. 

26 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Could the MVFC simply realign itself under the Summit umbrella and call it good?

The MVC schools are too stupid to realize the potential of the Dakota schools. They think the MVC is as great as it was 5 years ago. They also don't want to travel beyond their little circle.

1 minute ago, North Dakota said:

The MVC schools are too stupid to realize the potential of the Dakota schools. They think the MVC is as great as it was 5 years ago. They also don't want to travel beyond their little circle.

Sad but true. 

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

The MVFC would need six permanent members for FCS and eight for FBS to work for the Summit.

Are current MVFC teams not permanent?  Or are you saying an MVFC under the Summit wouldn't work because only 5 are Summit all-sports while the others are just affiliates (permanent or otherwise).

Liberty going FBS by a waiver shows that the NCAA knows if a school has the ability to move to FBS, even though another conference won’t take them, is very susceptible to a legal challenge.  Instead of undoing the legal headaches and costs, the NCAA broke down and allowed a waiver.

The same would hold if a conference of financially able schools wants to go FBS.  UND already has an athletic budget greater than some Sum Belt FBS schools.

The Horizon commish already stated that that conference is prepared to go to 14 schools.  PUFW is probably first or second on that list.

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Are current MVFC teams not permanent?  Or are you saying an MVFC under the Summit wouldn't work because only 5 are Summit all-sports while the others are just affiliates (permanent or otherwise).

Yes.  They must be members of the Summit for the Summit to use the sport to satisfy the mbb autobid requirement.  That’s only true for fb and mbb.  The MVC already has baseball and men’s soccer, so that conference doesn’t need fb.

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

Yes.  They must be members of the Summit for the Summit to use the sport to satisfy the mbb autobid requirement.  That’s only true for fb and mbb.  

So basically, at least 6 of the same schools would have to participate in both Summit BB and FB?

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Of course they wouldn’t say that as they don’t have a conference offering.  Bresciani would take up an FBS offer in a minute.

But because you believe so fervently that no FCS presidents want FBS, feel free to keep your believing falsehoods.

So what about the financial aspect of it?  If NDSU wanted to go FBS, you would think that they would have the ability to raise funds to do it.  How long did it take to raise money for the SHAC?  Imagine having to do that every year!!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Kab said:

You would think admin and the AD would have been aware of the summit issues, I still think big sky was our answer then and now

Think that the former NCC school Presidents and Denver were acutely aware of the Summit’s vulnerability and that UND being added was just a first step.  UND would have been extremely negligent in having dropped baseball if they didn’t know more football members were coming aboard and the Summit Presidents would have been vociferous in their message to each other in their opposition.