SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

In all honesty, having the players shovel the practice field last spring was one of the most embarrassing things I had ever heard about at the DI level of football. That is inexcusable because, well, it shows the lack of investment in the football program. It's upsetting that the coach, not the A.D., will be the one to get this thing turned around in terms of principles and values. That's where it starts - ultimately it ends on the football field with coaching and execution, but if you don't have investment in the program from the top, it's difficult to have consistent success. If UND football comes back to life, it won't be because of Brian Faison, but rather because of Bubba Schweigert and his demand for legitimate UND football pride/respect.

I disagree on the shoveling part. I'm guessing the hypersensitivity was more about the program being sub par the last 6 years than the players shoveling. Also throw in the fact that most people didn't rate Mussman too high at that point. With a more well respected coach and successful program I bet it would have been viewed more as a humbling team building exercise than Busch league.

I disagree on the shoveling part. I'm guessing the hypersensitivity was more about the program being sub par the last 6 years than the players shoveling. Also throw in the fact that most people didn't rate Mussman too high at that point. With a more well respected coach and successful program I bet it would have been viewed more as a humbling team building exercise than Busch league.

A well respected program and coach would not have the team shoveling in the first place. Thus, you have proposed a situation that likely would not happen. Most successful programs have snow-removing equipment and/or an indoor practice facility. Fortunately, by the winter of 2014-2015, UND football will have an indoor practice facility. Nevertheless, having the players shovel because the Alerus could (or would) not cooperate and there was no way to obtain snow removal equipment is just plain unfortunate and embarrassing. It should not happen, because well, it does not happen ANYWHERE else in the DI landscape. How did the 2013 season turn out after that great "team-building" shoveling exercise anyway?

• Upvote 1

A well respected program and coach would not have the team shoveling in the first place. Thus, you have proposed a situation that likely would not happen. Most successful programs have snow-removing equipment and/or an indoor practice facility. Fortunately, by the winter of 2014-2015, UND football will have an indoor practice facility. Nevertheless, having the players shovel because the Alerus could (or would) not cooperate and there was no way to obtain snow removal equipment is just plain unfortunate and embarrassing. It should not happen, because well, it does not happen ANYWHERE else in the DI landscape. How did the 2013 season turn out after that great "team-building" shoveling exercise anyway?

Slight correction. UND, Not the Alerus.

In all honesty, having the players shovel the practice field last spring was one of the most embarrassing things I had ever heard about at the DI level of football. That is inexcusable because, well, it shows the lack of investment in the football program. It's upsetting that the coach, not the A.D., will be the one to get this thing turned around in terms of principles and values. That's where it starts - ultimately it ends on the football field with coaching and execution, but if you don't have investment in the program from the top, it's difficult to have consistent success. If UND football comes back to life, it won't be because of Brian Faison, but rather because of Bubba Schweigert and his demand for legitimate UND football pride/respect.

Doesn't UND have a snowblower that won't rip up the turf? From 1985-2000 did they always have people shovel before gametime?

I don't understand why everyone thinks it's below a team to do that.

Once again, what makes it such lowly work? Pussification of America?

That snow has a hell of a crust on it, it would take a while to shovel it off. Have the U tell residents to do it for a buck an hour or so and that field will be cleared in no time( that's what they do at Lambeau).

That snow has a hell of a crust on it, it would take a while to shovel it off. Have the U tell residents to do it for a buck an hour or so and that field will be cleared in no time( that's what they do at Lambeau).

If i wasn't above having to shovel the sidewalk and then chip all of the ice off of the driveway back in the day for my dad then why would the UND football players be above shoveling off their field? It lets them take ownership over the field. The more they invest in UND football the more it will mean. I think the whole situation last year was blown out of proportion and spun into the shitter.

If i wasn't above having to shovel the sidewalk and then chip all of the ice off of the driveway back in the day for my dad then why would the UND football players be above shoveling off their field? It lets them take ownership over the field. The more they invest in UND football the more it will mean. I think the whole situation last year was blown out of proportion and spun into the shitter.

Alright; you recruit shovelers while NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Montana, etc. recruit good FOOTBALL players! A scholarship student-athlete should not have to clean off the facilities that the university used in the very recruiting process that brought them there.

In a contemporary college football landscape where paying college football players has even been discussed, unnecessary maintenance of University facilities should not be required of student-athletes. If it became a requirement at UND, we'd be the laughing stock of FCS football.

Alright; you recruit shovelers while NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Montana, etc. recruit good FOOTBALL players! A scholarship student-athlete should not have to clean off the facilities that the university used in the very recruiting process that brought them there.

In a contemporary college football landscape where paying college football players has even been discussed, unnecessary maintenance of University facilities should not be required of student-athletes. If it became a requirement at UND, we'd be the laughing stock of FCS football.

No. The shoveling had nothing to do with it. You recruit football players that are humble and hard working. Not above a petty task like shoveling snow off of a field. It's about the principle. If you have a full team of good football players who are committed enough to do something like shovel off a field at the drop of a hat without question imagine how hard working they'll be in the weight room and in the class room. Again it's not about the shoveling itself.

No. The shoveling had nothing to do with it. You recruit football players that are humble and hard working. Not above a petty task like shoveling snow off of a field. It's about the principle. If you have a full team of good football players who are committed enough to do something like shovel off a field at the drop of a hat without question imagine how hard working they'll be in the weight room and in the class room. Again it's not about the shoveling itself.

When Minnesota had to play at TCF when the dome colapsed how many Vikings were on the field and stands shoveling?? Same in Green Bay, New York. You see regular people not players.

I agree that you want to recruit humble players that would be willing to shovel, if asked. But you also want an administration that is smart enough not to ask them.

• Upvote 1

Look, at this level they need to be spending their time in the classroom and working on their skills. This is not a D3 college. These kind of tasks need to be handled by University maintenance.

It's a matter of time. Personally, I'd much rather have the players focusing on getting to be better football players or taking care of business in the classroom than wasting their time doing work that the university's janitors and grounds crew should be doing. As a former player I do not ever remember shoveling snow off the field or cleaning the weight room prior to recruiting visits. We were expected to keep things picked up(weights on racks, locker clean, etc.) but we definitely weren't scrubbing or shining anything. Did that somehow make us less tough? Maybe so, but it certaintly didn't seem to hurt us much when we were beating up on teams in the playoffs.

• Upvote 4

It's a matter of time. Personally, I'd much rather have the players focusing on getting to be better football players or taking care of business in the classroom than wasting their time doing work that the university's janitors and grounds crew should be doing. As a former player I do not ever remember shoveling snow off the field or cleaning the weight room prior to recruiting visits. We were expected to keep things picked up(weights on racks, locker clean, etc.) but we definitely weren't scrubbing or shining anything. Did that somehow make us less tough? Maybe so, but it certaintly didn't seem to hurt us much when we were beating up on teams in the playoffs.

We did shovel. I think your knee was no good that spring so you might not have been there.

I remember picking up the weight room, but not cleaning it.

Once more, the 2013 team that so diligently and graciously cleaned off the field performed horribly during the 2013 season. Whereas NDSU, who won the 2013 FCS national championship, did not shovel anything and yet they went undefeated. My point is shoveling snow has nothing to do with football performance; it's simply common courtesy to treat the student-athletes as such and not put them in a situation that requires them to perform unnecessary labor.

You're essentially arguing that having the team remove snow off the field is fine. Well, perhaps in a high school setting it would be fine, but at a DI university, the resources should be in place for a support staff to be there. If not, there are support issues by the athletic department and university. Again, and in conclusion, UND needs football players and an athletic department that supports them, not good shovelers that need to be resilient laborers when the university looks the other way. I respect Bubba requesting that shoveling and other pity acts not be asked of the student-athletes. If you want to proclaim to recruits that they may have to do such acts in addition to academics and athletics, go right ahead. I can guarantee your hard workers will not have been highly sought after by other schools.

• Upvote 1