SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey racist?

Wilbur

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has UND ever had minorities on their hockey team?

I think we had an under 21-year-old American once, or did you mean a different kind of minority? (that was for the Gopher fans)

Seriously though, the all-time rosters don't break out players by race (nor do our football rosters, basketball rosters, or any other sport I've seen, that not being a criteria considered important to performance). Since 99% of all people in ND are whites of European descent, UND is probably the wrong place to look for many minorities, though I'd be surprised if there weren't a few.

Akil Adams and Marc Ranfranz, to name a couple off the top of my head. I'm sure there were more through the years.

Can you remember when Akil played I want to say around 1992 or something like that. I think he only played a year or two. If my memory serves me right...

92 - 93 sounds about right for Akil, there was a Native American not too long ago either, I think his last name was Bear..

Your right I remember him, I believe he was also a defenseman that spoke well of the UND fighting Sioux name. This I know can be found in the special collections part of the UND Chester Fritz Library. I remember researching this for a paper that I wrote in favor of the UND name for one of my sociology classes. Of course the Professor of my class wasn't buying any of this... :glare:

So what do we call the two black players that play for Washington? Mike Grier and Anson Carter. What about the gentleman that plays for the Avs thats name escapes me.

I call them hockey players...

My point was merely that there are few minorities playing hockey because of what seems to be a general disinterest in hockey by minority athletes. Most seem to be more interested in basketball and football than in hockey. Obviously there are exceptions to that general disinterest (such as Peter Worrell in Colorado and Anson Carter in Washington...among others), but I can imagine if you were to poll a good cross section of minority athletes in this country, Canada and probably the rest of the world, hockey would come up pretty low on the list of preferred sports to play.

That was the reason I found Wilbur's quote from Bisonville.com so ironic. I find it terribly irresponsible to cry racisim in a sport with few minorities when minority interest in that sport is so low.

But I'm not really sure why you've decided to take exception to my statement. It seems like a pretty astute and thoroughly unracist observation if I do say so myself, Goon. :glare:

As an NDSU alum, and former athlete, let me suggest to the people on the Bison's board to worry about who they will get to play home games against next football season (now that they have chosen to destroy the most exciting sports rivalry in college athletics).  .

Let me repeat the key part of that:

" ... now that they have chosen to destroy the most exciting sports rivalry in college athletics ... "

The "they" of which 'Old Barn Guy at Home' speaks is his alma mater: NDSU.

I'm glad to see that at least one Bison fan can view the situation with some level of objectivity.

This is for Marty:

Whether you know it or not, the UND-NDSU (formerly NDAC) rivalry has been around longer than any college football series in the country (unless the Harvard-Yale series is longer). Now, you may say that doesn't make it the most exciting rivalry, and if that's the way you feel, ok. I personally don't get so excited for the Ohio St-Michigan rivalry, unless they both have strong teams going against each other. You may be too young to really grasp the history of the Sioux-Bison rivalry and maybe you aren't such a strong fan(antic) of the two schools' competiton against each other. All I know is that when fall comes around and there is no game between the two of them to anticipate, a heck of a lot of people in the state and around the country will be very disappointed and feel a sense of great loss. It has been going on for a long time and now it is over. :glare:

Sicatoka: You hit it right on the head. I've cut my ties with NDSU and will keep it that way until the Sioux and Bison are competing against each other (on even ground, not with SU having a lot more scholarships than UND).

There is an old Native American saying that goes something like this: "It is not necessary for crows to be eagles." This probably applies to SU in this case.

That was the reason I found Wilbur's quote from Bisonville.com so ironic. I find it terribly irresponsible to cry racisim in a sport with few minorities when minority interest in that sport is so low.

But I'm not really sure why you've decided to take exception to my statement. It seems like a pretty astute and thoroughly unracist observation if I do say so myself, Goon. :glare:

I think we have proved that hockey isn't a racist sport, and it embraces all sorts of racial lines and social back grounds. I think we are on the same wave lenght. I believe, because all of us keep throwing out examples of this. I am not taking any exception with your statement.