SiouxSports.com Forum

DU @ UND: January 30-31

dunker2001

Wow. That is cold, much colder than we have ever had to deal with I think. Especially for 3 hours. :lol: The only flaw I see is that you seem to imply that normally classes would prevent you from getting in line. What is up with that? :huh:

Thank Zach that we don't have to stand outside anymore. The UAA series reminded me just how much it sucks. :glare:

Classes? Oh, yeah, I remember. Vaguely. It was a long time ago.

The skilled, dedicated hockey fan made sure not to schedule Friday afternoon classes. Real students, however, went to class Friday afternoon.

All I remember is it had been a decade since the Sioux were upper-division WCHA, and the excitement of that fended off the cold pretty well.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm coach Blais, and thankfully for all of us I'm not the coach, I'm less concerned with sweeping this weekend that with how well the team plays.

What is there to work on? (who plays on the 4th line; how to play vs various neutral zone traps; what else)

Maybe somebody could ask DB on the Wednesday coaches show.

Current students have it too easy. Could have stood in line outside the WSB for 2 hours, then finally get in to a building that was colder than it was outside. :huh:

They also got to bring in coolers full of beer at the WSB. My dad has told me stories about it. So it was a tradeoff. :glare:

back to hockey talk from the weather, man that sounds like a newscast line, anyway,after watching your boys play last weekend, I should think you will have no problem sweeping DU at home. After this weekend I think you will see even further distance between the top 5 and lower 5 teams. UM should sweep the BADgers ( how can I say any diff?), altho the JBSU swoon seems to have started so they may actually be helping their opponents teams by trying to play.

I'd say the score totals from this weekend for you guys will be:

10-3

WPoS

The skilled, dedicated hockey fan made sure not to schedule Friday afternoon classes. Real students, however, went to class Friday afternoon.

Exactly. Hockey fans would meet for "Bucks" at the DownUnder, usually preceded by burgers and pitchers at Frenchy's. We would thereupon make our presence know at old REA, usually topped off by a hangover by third period, where we caught our "second wind" in time for a run to Whitey's.

"Real students" usually rattled on the windows at Chester Fritz at 5:00 pm wondering why somebody locked them out of their home. :huh::glare:

How can you question our toughness when we're up here right next to the Arctic Circle and you're down there in the Banana Belt? :glare::lol:

PCM, I think you got the wrong emphasis I was trying to give, altho it is much funnier when you take offense! :huh:

WPoS

now back to the game......

Very strange for DU to be playing better on the road than at home.

Well if the webcast from the earlier series against the Sioux is any indication of what the confines of their area is like I can understand why. Looked like it was a dank areana and dimmly lit sheet. Then again it might have just been the crappy webcast I got on my end.

now back to the game......

Very strange for DU to be playing better on the road than at home.

I was surprised to see:

WCHA Home 1-7-1

WCHA Road 5-2-2

Then you look at who they beat on the road: Minnesota, CC, Alaska, SCSU

Who they lost to on the road: Mankato, Minnesota

Who the beat at home: Alaska

Who they lost to at home: Alaska, Duluth, Wisconsin, UND

It doesn't seem coincidence that they have home losses against 1-2-3 in the conference. Of course, whether facing Denver at their home is easy wins, helping your conference standings; or whether Denver has had the unfortunate luck of facing the best teams at home, is debateable.

Denver has always played us tough at REA. I would guess that Denver will do whatever they can to slow us down, by either clogging the neutral zone or, more likely, playing clutch 'n grab. I think we have to play very physical against them by forechecking and back checking the crap out of them and creating turnovers. Any time they get near a puck, put a body on them and finish them off. Shoot the puck often and go for the rebounds and garbage shots. If we keep them on their heels, we should be able to control the puck.

We have the opportunity to get 4 pts this weekend while Minnesota Jr. is idle, and also set a good tone going into the final stretch.

We have the opportunity to get 4 pts this weekend while Minnesota Jr. is idle, and also set a good tone going into the final stretch.

I agree. This might be the best chance that UND has to put itself in the driver's seat for the WCHA title. I'd prefer that the Sioux travel to UMD needing only a split to stay ahead of the Bulldogs for the league championship.

Also, it was at this time last season when UND's late-season swoon began with a home loss to Michigan Tech. At this time of the year, the Sioux need to take advantage of their home games and beat the teams they should beat. They need to keep the momentum going.

I was surprised to see:

WCHA Home 1-7-1

WCHA Road 5-2-2

Then you look at who they beat on the road: Minnesota, CC, Alaska, SCSU

Who they lost to on the road: Mankato, Minnesota

Who the beat at home: Alaska

Who they lost to at home: Alaska, Duluth, Wisconsin, UND

It doesn't seem coincidence that they have home losses against 1-2-3 in the conference. Of course, whether facing Denver at their home is easy wins, helping your conference standings; or whether Denver has had the unfortunate luck of facing the best teams at home, is debateable.

their win against th eGophs was against the NON-good Gopher team (yah, run with that one boys :glare: ), but they beat us by one back then and JJ MAY have been in nets and we were still out our two D-men. That all said, you guys SHOULD kill 'em.

WPoS

UND has two games in hand over most of the league, and especially UMD. Those two games are this weekend. (UMD is idle.)

A wise man told me recently:

Games in hand are only worth something ... if you win them.

Hey, did anyone remind Gwoz's boys that the games have been moved to the University Park rink? :huh::glare:

UND has two games in hand over most of the league, and especially UMD. Those two games are this weekend. (UMD is idle.)

A wise man told me recently:

Games in hand are only worth something ... if you win them.

Hey, did anyone remind Gwoz's boys that the games have been moved to the University Park rink? :lol::glare:

Or, we COULD just open all the doors in the arena and let it "cool off" a little bit... yeah like the Powers That Be at the REA would ever do that... :huh:

I agree. This might be the best chance that UND has to put itself in the driver's seat for the WCHA title. I'd prefer that the Sioux travel to UMD needing only a split to stay ahead of the Bulldogs for the league championship.

Also, it was at this time last season when UND's late-season swoon began with a home loss to Michigan Tech. At this time of the year, the Sioux need to take advantage of their home games and beat the teams they should beat. They need to keep the momentum going.

Blais shouldn't have any problem getting the team to be motivated this weekend then. I think UND can have two good games and get the big "W" and the sweep.

Anything less than 4 pts this weekend would be disappointing. It would be good to get some momentum heading to Madison next weekend. The Sioux need to come with a lunch pail attitude, get some garbage goals and wear down Denver with their superior depth. I have been waiting all season for Massen to find his groove, I don't know if it is going to happen. I wouldn't mind seeing him play up on the second line for a weekend and play with the better players even though his performance does not deserve that. He had a good WCHA season last year and he just seems to not have the fire this year for whatever reason. With Blais you have to earn your ice time. It would be great for the team if Massen could start to come around and become a scoring threat down the stretch.