SiouxSports.com Forum

DU @ UND: January 30-31

dunker2001

It's time to put some points between us and those pesky Duluth Dogs.

I'll be on SS.com this weekend waiting for the Sioux to falter!! :silly:

Just kidding. I will be on SS.com...but I don't expect that the Dogs will still be in first place after this weekend. In fact, we could be back in third...but only if Wisco sweeps UM and UND takes at least one point. I think UND will sweep, and UW/UM will split leaving UMD in second with five weeks remaining.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they even have classes when it is -10?

Yup, I thought the radio said it was -24 this morning when I was starting the car, but I could be wrong. It has to get extremely cold to cancel class. Temps this cold is nothing new around here, why cancel stuff when it is that cold. We are not a bunch of pansies like people out east...

Official North Dakota "Riff-Raff" Prevention Table. :silly:

STATE TEMPERATURE AND PRECIPITATION TABLE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BISMARCK ND

643 AM CST TUE JAN 27 2004

:VALUES REPRESENT YESTERDAY'S HIGHS...LOWS OVER THE LAST 12 HOURS

:AND PRECIPITATION FOR THE PAST 24 HOURS ENDING AT 6AM CST.

:ASOS SITES ARE AUTOMATED AND MAY UNDER-ESTIMATE WINTER PRECIP.

:     

:WEST AND CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA TEMP AND PRECIP STATIONS

:................................................................

:      STATION              MAX / MIN  / 24-HR  / SNOW / SNOW

:        NAME                TEMP/ TEMP / PRECIP / FALL / DEPTH

:................................................................

:

BIS  :  BISMARCK          :    2 / -26  / 0.00  /  0.0 /  8

DIK  :  DICKINSON ASOS    :  -6 / -21  /    T  /    M /  M

JMS  :  JAMESTOWN ASOS    :    2 / -26  /    T  /    M /  7

MOT  :  MINOT ASOS        :  -4 / -22  /    T  /    M /  M

ISN  :  WILLISTON        :  -9 / -26  / 0.01  /  0.4 / 15

N60  :  GARRISON ASOS    :  -3 / -27  / 0.00  /    M /  M

HEI  :  HETTINGER ASOS    :  -3 / -19  / 0.00  /    M /  M

GFK  : GRAND FORKS AIRPORT:    6 / -30  /    M  /  1.0 / 18

FAR  : FARGO              :  13 / -31  / 0.02  /  0.8 / 18

I remember back in october 2001, kupchella caught a lot of flack for not cancelling classes during the freak blizzard. Wonder if that will impact future decisions?

I remember that. I wonder what they will do if the wind picks up at all this week and drops the wind chill to way below zero. I couldn't believe they had class on monday.

I remember the signs. When I was a freshman in 1995-96 school year here at UND, they posted signs all over saying that your flesh would freeze in 5 seconds or so and to remind us to bundle up. All I can remember was being incredibly pissed off at the administration of the school for patronizing us like that. They only have to walk, at most, a block to their cozy little offices and not worry about the outside at all while we had to walk quarter-half a block just to catch the bus and then, depending upon where your class was, much more than a mere block to get to class.

:silly:

Phoenix topped 60 with fair skies, a slight breeze & no snow...didn't see anyone wearing parkas or boots but I did see a couple hotties in tight shirts & even tighter shorts. Oh well, I'll try to put up with these miserable conditions a while longer.

Oh please, you can see more than that in the high stick thread. :glare:

Hourly satellite transmissions; only -27 at last look and winds have been in the 30's most of the day. Another 3-4" of snow to go with it. Brutal out here today. Don't think we'll be burning.

Just imagine how bad it would be without global warming. :glare::huh::lol:

To answer the question....I went to UND for 4....errrr 5 years and I remember class being cancelled ONCE for cold weather. I believe it was -32 ambient and -75 wind chill that day. Twas a long day at the bar!

February 2, 1979: classes cancelled at the University of North Dakota, due to air temps -30 to -40, northwest winds at 35-40, wind chills quoted at -80.

Which meant that the students could get in line REAL EARLY to watch the #1 UMD Bulldogs take on the #2 UND Fighting Sioux.

We were in line outside for 3 hours; UND staff took pity on us and opened the doors 2 hours before gametime instead of the normal 1 hour. I have never been so cold in my life. But it was worth it!!

Ah, the good old days.

Wow. That is cold, much colder than we have ever had to deal with I think. Especially for 3 hours. :lol: The only flaw I see is that you seem to imply that normally classes would prevent you from getting in line. What is up with that? :huh:

Thank Zach that we don't have to stand outside anymore. The UAA series reminded me just how much it sucks. :glare:

Geez, I thought you was all Sioux fans. What's all this bitching about the cold? In my day I walked 10 miles to and from class in nothing but a pair of loafers and a windbreaker. I did use a pair of earmuffs when it got below -40 but's that's only because I lost my hair when I was 15.

Time to toughen up and quit sounding like a bunch of Gopher fans. Sioux sweep this weekend.

But heat is generated by moving while standing stationary allows for heat to escape much more readily or some such thing. I am not debating your contention that lacking hair is tough in adverse weather conditions, I'm just stating that stationariness is tougher.

Diggler, you should have majored in creative writing or something. :huh:

The last two days definitely had that sting to them. I think Monday would have been cancelled if it weren't for the fact that there were already no classes on either Monday of the first 2 weeks of school. We had to move our vehicles out of our parking lots this morning where I live so that they could clear the snow, and a friend and I both got ours stuck in the snow out in the street. After we got out of class around 5:00 we spent about a 1/2 hour trying to dig/push our cars out of the snow before someone stopped to help us. He even turned down a free beer and a meal! :glare: That's ok, we went ahead with him. Things always look better after a beer and some blackjack.