SiouxSports.com Forum

DU @ UND: January 30-31

dunker2001

Last weekend is over and done with...time to look forward to the series with Denver.

With Denver playing better on the road then at home against WCHA teams are they going to come in and take points from the Sioux? I doubt it, but in the WCHA anything it possible. I also hear that Mr. Adam will be the official :silly:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look for the Sioux to sweep this weekend. The goaltending is as solid right now as I can remember since Karl left. The defense is playing well. We are still able to roll 4 lines pretty consistently and at least get puck possession out of them all, if not scoring chances. I think the boys will be ready for this after having the winning streak snapped. Hopefully they are in a bad mood and get down to business.

I think the loss Saturday night was good for the team. Long winning streaks have to be snapped at some point. I also thought the team seemed a bit on the passive side. Almost as if they figured they could turn it up when they needed to during the game and win. I am hoping they learned they have to play a full 60 in this league night in and night out. Should be a good weekend of Sioux hockey. I look for Fylling and Stafford to have good weekends. Denver usually takes hold of Parise and thus nullifies him by doing so, and I think they will try the same with Bochenski as well since he is having a great year.

I also think our great PK and much improving PP will help out a lot against DU this weekend. Go Sioux!!!

I also think our great PK and much improving PP will help out a lot against DU this weekend. Go Sioux!!!

UND PK is awesome, holding UofM to 1/12 on the pp. That to me is impressive.

UND PP is getting better. Defensively UND is doing great. I am ready for some hockey at home this weekend.

I don't know if anyone else heard Woog on PA and Dubay this morning, but he raved about the Sioux penalty kill.

He also said that the Gophers think Potulny will be out for four weeks. Which is very good news considering some of the early reports/rumors.

This thread talking Denver?

This series will be tough one. Denver is a solid club, with proven goaltending and a coach well capable of keeping his players heads in the game. They are big, they are fast, and they are hungry.

They also have a strong tradition. Not many opponents in the league are much tougher.

A split will be fine by me. This team just might need to get a stronger taste of de feet in des mouths so they realize how distasteful it is before tourney time.

Besides, a split will give Deano some more coaching moments, and maybe even the chance to throw a chair to make a point. The Don throws trash cans. The Deano throws chairs. The Woogmeister threw keggers. :silly:

We're a team that wants to be championship material. We're at home, and we just split on the road with a big rival. I think we need to come home and show Denver whose house they are in.

Our goaltending is playing well right now. Our forwards need to drop a few in the basket. D needs to keep working on playing a tight game. All players need to work on minimizing the bad penalties.

PK looks great right now. Let's make Denver take some penalties, and keep improving the power play.

I'll be up for the weekend, finally, and can't wait for Friday!

NDH, I understand the sentiment, but, when in doubt, I like to put the points in the bank, especially at home. I have a feeling this weekend will have its tense moments, and I hope the guys can put last weekend's emotions to rest with the care necessary to allow them to come out firing this weekend.

If you think another couple losses might be good for the attitude, there are a couple of road trips to Madison and Duluth where that might end up happening (I'm sure you'll be there to help prevent them).

I think the loss Saturday night was good for the team. Long winning streaks have to be snapped at some point.

Good point. Do we wanna go undefeated in January & February & early March & expect to roll through the playoffs towards #8? Or do we wanna take a loss here & there but finish strong overall? My point being that pressure & expectations would probably be unbearable if they were riding a 10-15 game win streak into the playoffs--would much rather they experience a few losses to buffer the pressure. Not exactly Vince Lombardi-type thinking, but I don't wanna see the guys catch a similar case of CC-itis & have a meltdown from fatigue/stress in late March.

Regarding why they lost last Saturday & why they were getting beat to the puck in periods 2 & 3 : Keep in mind they got back from a grueling road trip to Houghton. This team is one of the best conditioned around, but long trips like that can sometimes take away the zip & zap the oomph.

If you think another couple losses might be good for the attitude, there are a couple of road trips to Madison and Duluth where that might end up happening (I'm sure you'll be there to help prevent them).

I am going to Madison. There is no losing allowed there. I also think we should be able to continue beating UMD. If we can't beat them just because we aren't at home, then maybe we aren't the team we thought we were. The road to the Frozen Four is on the road, so we need to win anywhere. So yes, we should just win every game from here on out. :silly:

A few funky line combinations for consideration by the panel of experts (tks, gator):

Parise, Murray, Stafford

The Golden Line - A great team was able to keep them mostly in check. Against a good team (Denver), they should be able to show some of the brilliance we are used to seeing.

Genoway, Bochenski, Hale

A stretch, maybe, but I thought Hale was one of UND's best forwards against MN. Maybe he can loosen the defense up a little for the other two by banging Denver's loving, cuddly defensemen around a bit.

Lundbohm, Porter, Fylling

Cycled brilliantly in the HOF game against Duluth. Might be time to reunite these guys.

McMahon, Prpich, Canady/Massen

I've liked Canady's revival this Winter, but Friday wasn't his best game. Massen also didn't seem to have a strong game Friday, but I feel like he needs to continue to see the ice to try to get him going. This line could be matched up against Gauthier, who I think is Denver's best offensive player.

The MN series was chippy and scrappier than heck, so I understand and appreciate Prpich's function in such a series. While I know Denver is also physically very tough, I'd like to see Prpich get back to playing hockey as though a puck were involved.

If you live in North Dakota, this might seem ridiculous to ask. However, the weather seems a bit brutal this week. Seems like it might impact overall level of preparation and potential levels of energy given what the players experience outside of the rink. Do they even have classes when it is -10?

I agree with whoever said that Denver will be hungry to avenge the sweep. I think this will be another war similar to intensity of last weekend.

If you live in North Dakota, this might seem ridiculous to ask. However, the weather seems a bit brutal this week. Seems like it might impact overall level of preparation and potential levels of energy given what the players experience outside of the rink. Do they even have classes when it is -10?

I agree with whoever said that Denver will be hungry to avenge the sweep. I think this will be another war similar to intensity of last weekend.

To answer the question....I went to UND for 4....errrr 5 years and I remember class being cancelled ONCE for cold weather. I believe it was -32 ambient and -75 wind chill that day. Twas a long day at the bar!

... the weather seems a bit brutal this week.

Nah, it keeps the riff-raff out. --- The ND Tourism Board ;)

UND had a something-like 60-year stretch without cancelling classes due to weather. That ended in the late 1980s (early 1990s?). I believe the numbers "cfm567b27" put out were close but I also believe the wind gusts put the wind chill into the minus three-digits category.

That day was, to my mind at least, refreshingly crisp. :silly:

To answer the question....I went to UND for 4....errrr 5 years and I remember class being cancelled ONCE for cold weather. I believe it was -32 ambient and -75 wind chill that day. Twas a long day at the bar!

That must have been back in 89-90....My roommate got the call at the Meteorology Lab from President Clifford asking him what he thought....:silly: Off to the bar we all went....

Nah, it keeps the riff-raff out. --- The ND Tourism Board ;)

UND had a something-like 60-year stretch without cancelling classes due to weather. That ended in the late 1980s (early 1990s?). I believe the numbers "cfm567b27" put out were close but I also believe the wind gusts put the wind chill into the minus three-digits category.

That day was, to my mind at least, refreshingly crisp. :silly:

You pegged it! I think it was like 1990 or 1991. If I recall correctly we had three or four consecutive days of extreme cold that year of -25 or so ambient. For the life of me I don't understand why you would cancel class at -32 but not -25.....Skin freezing within 5 seconds of being exposed would be a good indicator I think. :lol: