SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-9, 2-2) @ Montana (6-7, 1-3) 1/16

SWSiouxMN

Three starters did not score (Nash, Webb, Calcaterra). Don't know why Nash did not play more but I don't remember Nash playing in the second half. Huff, Anderson and Schuler scored double digits and not much more. Once again poor shot selection and the interior defense was awful. At this point I do not see this team making the conference tournament.

The only positive I can take from this game is I thought Anderson ran the point better than anybody has this year. He penetrated and dished many times out to open guys and moved the ball very well. Webb continued to force things inside and continues to penetrate too far where is options are limited. Negatives were many, Traylor on the interior defense lost his guy time after time for easy dunks against the next to worse interior offense in the league ( we r the worst). I said many times Huff can score 15-20 points easy every game with 4-6 less shots and if those 4-6 shots turn into wide open shots for other players we would score 6-8 points more each game and then the defense would have to guard all our players when he drives. Where was Nash?

Just not a good TEAM at all and its a shame cause we have the talent. Coaching must be a big part of it but these players are 22-23 men that should know the basic fundamentals and know by now how a team should play. Jones should play the players that best play together and work together and that would be an entirely different lineup.

Granted they can turn it around, and past history has shown they can, but as it sits right now I would have to rank this up there as one of the worst coaching jobs I have ever seen. Jones has his entire team back and they look worse this year than last year. They don't have an offense. They have a pick and roll. That's it. Then they all look at each other.

It's bordering on embarrassing how bad they look considering how good they were supposed to be. But, like I said, they have alot of time to turn it around but should a team of this many seniors need three months to turn it around?

So who is gonna start the "Fire Jones" thread??!!

Not sure its time for that just yet but he has definitely lost all control of these selfish players. I've almost given up on this years team and looking forward to mostly fresh faces next year and maybe, just maybe the players returning can see what playing as individuals does to a team. Right now next years roster looks better than this years and if we can just land a few more fundamentally sound players I am optimistic about next year.

so how long do we accept mediocrity?

I think you are seeing why with all of his talent and athletic ability that Huff is not at a major D-1 school. He has the talent but is too selfish with the ball. Jones needs to sit him when he gets out of control and gets into his it's me against the world mindset. I just don't think Jones has the guts to sit him for a half, or whatever it takes. Can you imagine Huff playing like that in Bo Ryan's system? He wouldn't have lasted a year, and he has been doing it for 4 in Jones system.

I think you are seeing why with all of his talent and athletic ability that Huff is not at a major D-1 school. He has the talent but is too selfish with the ball. Jones needs to sit him when he gets out of control and gets into his it's me against the world mindset. I just don't think Jones has the guts to sit him for a half, or whatever it takes. Can you imagine Huff playing like that in Bo Ryan's system? He wouldn't have lasted a year, and he has been doing it for 4 in Jones system.

He does seem to have a shoot-first mentality, the difference in this game was the Montana guards penetrating and finding Jamar and others open on the perimeter, Huff driving and forcing it up 1 on everybody when there had to be guys open from 12-15 feet. That's up to the coach to correct.